Creating the All-Time Rams Roster: Cornerback

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Pick your 2 starting corners

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Creating the All-Time Rams Roster: Cornerback
gettyimages-387650.jpg

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2016/07/03/creating-the-all-time-rams-roster-cornerback/

By: Jake Ellenbogen | July 3, 2016 11:00 am ET

In this new series, we will break down our All-Time Rams roster position-by-position. We last covered the linebackers, and now it’s time to move on to the cornerbacks. We’ll have two starters and three backups for this position.

Related:

Creating the All-Time Rams Roster: Linebacker

Starter: Dick Lane
Ever thought about just showing up at the practice of an NFL team because you don’t like your current job? No? Well, that is what this Hall of Famer did with the Los Angeles Rams. Lane tried out to be a wide receiver initially, but the Rams thought he would make a better cornerback.

The man they call Night Train did the unthinkable. In his rookie season he set the NFL single-season interception record with 14, which still stands an incredible 64 years later. Unfortunately, he didn’t have nearly as good of a year his second season.

The Rams did what history shows us they love to do. They traded away Night Train after two seasons. It was a monumental mistake to say the least, as he went on to become one of the best corners in NFL history, racking up seven Pro Bowls, six first-team All-Pro honors and four second-team All-Pro honors. He also ended up finishing his historic career with 68 interceptions, six of which he returned for touchdowns.

Starter: Jerry Gray
gettyimages-82518622.jpg

The former Texas Longhorn was drafted by the Los Angeles Rams in the first round of the 1985 NFL draft. He was an instant-impact player coming in and made it to his first Pro Bowl in just his second season.

Gray is considered an all-time Rams great, for good reason. He finished his seven seasons with the Rams with totals of 28 interceptions and three touchdowns.

Gray went to four Pro Bowls and was even named Pro Bowl MVP in his last appearance.

Backup: LeRoy Irvin
gettyimages-90100339.jpg

Once a Kansas Jayhawk, LeRoy Irvin played some stellar seasons with the Los Angeles Rams after he was selected in the third round of the 1980 NFL draft. He totaled 34 interceptions and five touchdowns.

Irvin played 10 seasons with the Rams, and during those years he went to two Pro Bowls and was a four-time All-Pro. He was one of the select few to be honored as an All-Pro for two positions as well.

The Rams great has been a part of the team’s return to Los Angeles in 2016, as he was seen at the all-access event this past month.

Backup: Pat Thomas
The former All-American Aggie was drafted in the second round of the 1976 NFL draft by the L.A. Rams. Thomas would finish his career there racking up 26 interceptions and one score.

Thomas was selected to two Pro Bowls and received first team All-Pro honors in the 1980 season.

Backup: Todd Lyght
gettyimages-260260.jpg

The Rams knew they were getting a good player in Todd Lyght when they took him fifth overall in the 1991 NFL draft out of Notre Dame. He was a three-year starter for the Irish and even was named team captain in his senior season.

Lyght would go on to lead a strong 12-year career, with 10 of those seasons being with the Rams. He had 37 interceptions and took four of them to the house.

The Rams corner back would go on to become an All-Pro and Pro Bowler. However, his biggest achievement was starting on a Rams team that won the Super Bowl.

Honorable Mention
Rod Perry
Perry was drafted in the fourth round of the 1975 draft out of Colorado. He played eight seasons with the Los Angeles Rams and two of those seasons he went to the Pro Bowl.

Perry accumulated 30 interceptions and four touchdowns during his career.

Clancy Williams
The Washington St. product was selected ninth overall in the 1965 NFL draft. Clancy Williams was quite possibly snubbed a couple of times as a Pro Bowl or All-Pro talent. He had a good career with the Rams and in eight seasons, he amassed 28 interceptions and two touchdowns.

Williams unfortunately passed away from cancer in 1986 at the age of 43.

Trumaine Johnson
gettyimages-460339184.jpg

This guy is pretty good, to say the least. Johnson, the third rounder in 2012 that you most likely complained about the Rams selecting, has become a rising star in the NFL.

Sooner or later, Johnson will in fact be up there possibly pushing guys like Todd Lyght and Pat Thomas. He is definitely going to have to sign long-term deal and continue to play at a high level for the Rams going forward, but it should happen.

Johnson was a Pro Bowl snub in 2015, and over the course of his young career he has 43 pass breakups 15 interceptions and two touchdowns. Be ready, because Johnson, at age 26, is only going to get better.

Dexter McCleon
gettyimages-727374.jpg

How can you forget about this guy? Six seasons with the Rams, and while he isn’t a legend, he still was a very good cornerback. The Rams drafted McCleon out of Clemson in the second round of the 1997 NFL draft. He went on to start on two Super Bowl teams and helped the team win one of them.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Nigh Train Lane and Jerry Gray, also can we please take Dexter McCleon off the list, he was awful and if not for injuries IMO, Charles Stukes and especially Gary Green (Aaron's Uncle) would be on the list.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Night Train for sure. We got some pro bowls out of Lyght, Irvin, Perry & Thomas, but I have to with Jerry Gray, also. Tough call! Hopefully, we can add Gaines to the list in a couple of years...

Last edited:

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nigh Train Lane and Jerry Gray, also can we please take Dexter McCleon off the list, he was awful and if not for injuries IMO, Charles Stukes and especially Gary Green (Aaron's Uncle) would be on the list.
I like McCleon

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Nighttrain and Irvin...not Irving....

Perry & Thomas lost the superbowl....So did Cromwell....always have a mark on their names IMO.

I really liked Dre Bly too.... really underachieved....but had monster skills.

I love DB's....and have studied the position thoroughly.....

Late edit:

Jerry Gray played a lil stiff for me...Thought he would have been a better safety.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like McCleon

Watch him against the Patriots in the Super Bowl and get back to me, with all due respect sir...Sam Madison would have been a better pick in the 97 draft, Madison went three picks later.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Jerry Gray played a lil stiff for me...Thought he would have been a better safety.

I still felt Gray was better than Irvin although Irvin might be the last good player that came out of Kansas and Irvin was a great punt returner, however, Gray was always on the better WR and that's why he trumps Irvin IMHO.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I still felt Gray was better than Irvin although Irvin might be the last good player that came out of Kansas and Irvin was a great punt returner, however, Gray was always on the better WR and that's why he trumps Irvin IMHO.
Bro! I am a die hard KU fan he was definitely not the last good player that came out of Kansas. Kansas has since had Aqib Talib, Chris Harris Jr., Darrell Stuckey who are all Pro Bowlers...

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Nighttrain and Irvin...not Irving....

Perry & Thomas lost the superbowl....So did Cromwell....always have a mark on their names IMO.

I really liked Dre Bly too.... really underachieved....but had monster skills.

I love DB's....and have studied the position thoroughly.....

Late edit:

irvin my bad i knew that but sometimes you just randomly misspell things

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Watch him against the Patriots in the Super Bowl and get back to me, with all due respect sir...Sam Madison would have been a better pick in the 97 draft, Madison went three picks later.
Totally agree with Madison, you can't pin the loss on McCleon because the Patriots won that game by cheating in the first place. Love how holt and bruce were held the whole game, mcginist held Faulk the whole game and they still barely won.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Bro! I am a die hard KU fan he was definitely not the last good player that came out of Kansas. Kansas has since had Aqib Talib, Chris Harris Jr., Darrell Stuckey who are all Pro Bowlers...

It was tongue and cheek, however, seriously, Kansas Football at this point is like Kansas State Football before Bill Snyder and Dave Beaty is no Bill Snyder and again JMHO.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Totally agree with Madison, you can't pin the loss on McCleon because the Patriots won that game by cheating in the first place. Love how holt and bruce were held the whole game, mcginist held Faulk the whole game and they still barely won.

Won't debate you there my Ram brother, but IMHO I just felt McCleon was not one of the better corners over the years, in fact, if not for going to prison for life Darryl Henley was better than McCleon.

SierraRam

Recreational User

Please don't get us started on this topic again!
images

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I never cared for Dexter.
He had quite a few picks, but gave up far more plays than he made, imo.
He wasn't terrible. I just never considered him great.
I'd actually take Bartell over him.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Travis Fisher could have been up there had he stayed healthy...Always really liked him.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
It's funny, when I did my top ten lists back in January, in my poll, the top cornerback vote getter was....Aeneus Williams. No mention here.

I realize he split his time between safety and only two years at cornerback. Just like the second place receiver of votes......Night Train Lane.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'll go with Night-Train Lane and Leroy Irvin w/ Rod Perry as 1st Back-UP!:D Then there's a certain guy, Last name Cross that you didn't mention, who should have been talked about!!(y)

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I'll go with Night-Train Lane and Leroy Irvin w/ Rod Perry as 1st Back-UP!:D Then there's a certain guy, Last name Cross that you didn't mention, who should have been talked about!!(y)
You do know theres always going to be snubs haha I am not perfect by any means but I love the activity and the constant feedback so keep it coming!

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Dave, I think Irv Cross had most of his good years with Philly, and, though he was good, had 3 years with the Rams and 6 ints. Including a 60 yard TD. Not enough for top 5 Rams I'd say