CP3 has been traded to the LA Clippers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
The NBA has reached an agreement to trade New Orleans Hornets point guard Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Clippers, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Hornets will receive guard Eric Gordon, center Chris Kaman, forward Al-Farouq Aminu and the Minnesota Timberwolves’ unprotected first-round pick.

<a class="postlink" href="http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_chris_paul_clippers_121411" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=a ... ers_121411</a>

I didnt think the Clippers would budge and give up Gordon. IMO, Gordon and the draft pick were the 2 key pieces that the Clippers needed to give up and Stern got them to do it. For David Stern, this was about getting some good value for CP3 so the Hornets wont be in terrible shape for the next owner. Stern needed to make the team look good moving forward so it would be more enticing for the next owner.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
The Clippers shouldn't have made that trade, in my honest opinion. I watched Gordon play at IU. He's already one of the best young guards in the NBA, and he's only going to get better. He just needs to stay healthy. Aminu's a lengthy small-forward with a ton of potential, and that Minnesota pick is going to be a high lottery pick. Kaman's just average, but that doesn't really matter. Also, Paul's going opt out of his contract after the 2012-2013 season. Sterling won't pay him what he wants, and nobody really wants to play for that owner anyway.

The Hornets easily got the better end of the deal, and the Clippers will fall to the bottom of the cellar, where they deserve to be after this boneheaded trade.

superfan24

Starter
My reaction right away is that they gave up too much and are basically depleted besides Blake and CP3

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Memento said:
The Clippers shouldn't have made that trade, in my honest opinion. I watched Gordon play at IU. He's already one of the best young guards in the NBA, and he's only going to get better. He just needs to stay healthy. Aminu's a lengthy small-forward with a ton of potential, and that Minnesota pick is going to be a high lottery pick. Kaman's just average, but that doesn't really matter. Also, Paul's going opt out of his contract after the 2012-2013 season. Sterling won't pay him what he wants, and nobody really wants to play for that owner anyway.

The Hornets easily got the better end of the deal, and the Clippers will fall to the bottom of the cellar, where they deserve to be after this boneheaded trade.

I did hear that Gordon will be a RFA next year and then a UFA in 2013, so the Hornets could have some problems with that in the future, but they still get that high pick (supposed to be a good draft next year).

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
superfan24 said:
My reaction right away is that they gave up too much and are basically depleted besides Blake and CP3

Thats what you gotta do when trading for a star player. The Knicks gave up a lot of players to get Melo and the Knicks roster was depleted to get it done.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
JdashSTL said:
Memento said:

I did hear that Gordon will be a RFA next year and then a UFA in 2013, so the Hornets could have some problems with that in the future, but they still get that high pick (supposed to be a good draft next year).

I find it difficult to believe that Stern wouldn't lock up Gordon to a long-term deal after all the crap that happened before he got him. If their general manager's smart, he'll sign the guy long-term. Then again, we are talking about Stern, so your point has a lot of merit.

Adding in their own draft pick (which should also be a high lottery pick) to go along with the Minnesota pick, the Hornets are set up for the future. The Clippers only win this trade if they win a championship in two years. Paul isn't going to stay with them long-term; why else would they include a clause that prevents him from opting out the next year? Griffin might not stay either. Sterling's an awful owner who wouldn't give away a penny to a starving orphan; I can't see a guy like that paying a long-term deal for Griffin or Paul.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Memento said:
JdashSTL said:
Memento said:

I find it difficult to believe that Stern wouldn't lock up Gordon to a long-term deal after all the crap that happened before he got him. If their general manager's smart, he'll sign the guy long-term. Then again, we are talking about Stern, so your point has a lot of merit.

Adding in their own draft pick (which should also be a high lottery pick) to go along with the Minnesota pick, the Hornets are set up for the future. The Clippers only win this trade if they win a championship in two years. Paul isn't going to stay with them long-term; why else would they include a clause that prevents him from opting out the next year? Griffin might not stay either. Sterling's an awful owner who wouldn't give away a penny to a starving orphan; I can't see a guy like that paying a long-term deal for Griffin or Paul.

If that was their thinking (lets go all-in on these guys for the next few years) then wouldnt they have offered Gordon in the original trade talks? They werent giving him up right away, and then they gave in. They knew how difficult Stern was being with this situation.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
The offer on the table before was better. A lot better IMO for every team involved. Stern didn't want Paul to go to the Lakers period.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
DR RAM said:
The offer on the table before was better. A lot better IMO for every team involved. Stern didn't want Paul to go to the Lakers period.

Well this had to be looked at as a long-term move that looks good for the next owner of the Hornets. Gordon is young player you can build around, they get a couple other players, and they get the draft pick, but maybe that draft pick wont look as good if derrick williams, jj barea, rubio, and kevin love light the world on fire this year and that team really improves. Of course Stern could just be screwing over the Lakers and hopes the Clippers will become a legit team to create more parity in the NBA, along with the Hornets. I think the parity in the league now is just fine. Are there the few dominant teams you know will be NBA title contenders? Sure, but theres also some other teams on the rise and I thought last years playoffs were fantastic and had a "march madness" feel to them.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Wait till CP3 gets to know his new owner.... he'll wish he was traded to the Pakistani National Team.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
DR RAM said:

I'm so glad that Paul didn't go to the Lakers. Tired of "dream teams." Last year was so much fun in part b/c a small market team (compared to LA and Miami) won it all.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Angry Ram said:
DR RAM said:

I'm so glad that Paul didn't go to the Lakers. Tired of "dream teams." Last year was so much fun in part b/c a small market team (compared to LA and Miami) won it all.

Well isnt that what the Clippers are turning into now? haha. It also makes the Clippers a very attractive destination for players. The Lakers still have a shot at Dwight Howard, I think Orlando is gonna do everything possible to keep him out of the Eastern Conference.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Angry Ram said:
DR RAM said:

How would you feel if Roger disallowed a trade that would have brought Calvin Johnson or whoever you want to the Rams if all the monies, cap, etc worked?

Angry Ram

DR RAM said:
Angry Ram said:
DR RAM said:

How would you feel if Roger disallowed a trade that would have brought Calvin Johnson or whoever you want to the Rams if all the monies, cap, etc worked?

I don't like teams adding so many "name" players. The Eagles used to be a team I'd rather like than not, and I found myself rooting for them a bunch back in the McNabb/Westbrook heyday. I don't like the Redskins either.

Besides, I just don't like the Lakers that much. And aren't the Hornets league owned anyway? Rodger couldn't do anything... :razzed:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Angry Ram said:
DR RAM said:
Angry Ram said:
DR RAM said:

I don't like teams adding so many "name" players. The Eagles used to be a team I'd rather like than not, and I found myself rooting for them a bunch back in the McNabb/Westbrook heyday. I don't like the Redskins either.

Besides, I just don't like the Lakers that much. And aren't the Hornets league owned anyway? Rodger couldn't do anything... :razzed:
Thanks for answering the question. League officials shouldn't control teams. That is what this was about. I understand you don't like the Lakers. Would you like your boss controlling your personal life decisions? How many analogies do I have to make, you know what I'm asking. By not answering you know that it was wrong I'm guessing.

Angry Ram

DR RAM said:
Angry Ram said:
DR RAM said:
Angry Ram said:
DR RAM said:

Thanks for answering the question. League officials shouldn't control teams. That is what this was about. I understand you don't like the Lakers. Would you like your boss controlling your personal life decisions? How many analogies do I have to make, you know what I'm asking. By not answering you know that it was wrong I'm guessing.

Oh yeah I understand Laker fans being pissed...I'm just glad it didn't happen personally. And yeah I'd be pissed if Megatron ever was traded and got blocked.

Here's an analogy of my own:

Let's say Megatron was about to be traded to the Patriots and it got blocked and instead got traded to say, the Browns. That's where I'm coming from.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Angry Ram said:
Let's say Megatron was about to be traded to the Patriots and it got blocked and instead got traded to say, the Browns. That's where I'm coming from.
Where do you draw the line? The point is that Stern's intervention is a slippery slope. If team owner A doesn't want to make a trade with team owner B, that's his prerogative. But a commissioner stepping in--ostensibly to ensure the best deal for the Hornets, but also seeking league parity--has to avoid his personal agendas and Stern did not.

Let's put this another way. Stern drove a hard bargain with the Clippers, after giving the Hornet's GM autonomy to make deals. Would he have stepped in at all if the Clippers had been the first deal makers?

Here's a better analogy. Following the Tuck Rule game, I wasn't so upset with it, since it was the Raiders that lost. After SB36, I griped about it to a co-worker who was a Raider fan, and he told me, "So what? Where were you after Brady got away with that fumble against my Raiders?" In retrospect, he was absolutely right.

Recognize the slippery slope now, or it might just bite a team you care about.