Cowherd Interviews Eric Davis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Can the Rams win 10 games this season? "I believe the Rams will" says Colin Cowherd

227364_8932d6556c374cd8b3552e5455010af2~mv2.webp

https://www.downtownrams.com/single...on-I-believe-the-Rams-will-says-Colin-Cowherd

It's always interesting when the Rams who went 4-12 last season are mentioned by national media, due to the fact that there is so much uncertainty and unpredictability. The Rams caught some more national light when Jared Goff became the topic of discussion during Eric Davis and Colin Cowherd's segment on Dak Prescott during The Herd on Fox Sports 1. Which you can watch below. The segment with the Rams starts around the 8 minute and 37 second mark.

After discussing in minimal detail about the NFL Network's NFL 100 list and young QB Prescott, Cowherd changed the subject to another young QB who didn't have the early success Prescott had in Jared Goff.

"Let's now go to a rookie quarterback who struggled, Jared Goff. He now has a dependable left tackle, he Robert Woods and a wide receiver from Eastern Washington who they are saying has been the surprise of camp. He does appear to have a better receiving core, a legitimate left tackle and a coaching staff that's expertise is on the offensive side of the ball. While still maintaining good defensive personnel and top punter in the league." Cowherd then responded asking Davis a question. "What do you think Jared Goff will look like this year?"

Davis on what Jared Goff will look like this year:

"Uh again, I think he will take some steps forward. The reason they drafted him is because, and I know this first-hand because Stan Kroenke told me the reason. I asked him "Why this guy?" and he said he liked the fact that he could get the ball in the end zone. Which, that's what it's all about. Which is what this whole list (NFL 100) is about, taking it away and being able to score. He liked the fact that Jared Goff was good in the red zone. That he could throw the ball in tight windows. Now, the issue with the Rams was that they never got down there, they never had a chance to do that. So, having a dependable receiver like (Robert) Woods, uh, yes I think the offensive line could be better. How much better is Todd Gurley going to be? I think the issue with Todd Gurley is understanding how to be a pro. He needs to understand how to run. Where is the free hitter? Where is the danger coming from? That's what I think Todd Gurley is still trying to figure out. And that's what the good running backs in the league understand. It's not just "Okay, there's a hole there". You know if the guys in front of you do their job there's going to be a hole. But, there's a free guy coming in, how do you set that up? LeVeon Bell is better than anyone at that, understanding how to take away the unblocked guy. So, he has to learn how to make people miss, all of those things will help with the development of Jared Goff. I think he will definitely improve on what he's done just by being out there. But, he has a little bit farther to go than some of these guys."

Cowherd on the Rams potential 2017 success:

"I think the Cowboys record and the Rams record is going to be closer than people think. The Rams had four wins, the Cowboys had 14. I think Dallas is 9 and 7 and I think the Rams become 8 and 8".

Davis then responded with own take on the Rams.

"Can I tell you something? And it's going to sound crazy. I said this off air to someone that depending on which team can sweep the other, with the possibility of sweeping the other. The 49ers or the Rams, can actually win 10 games." Cowherd responded "I believe the Rams will, I think they'll get really close. This team won four games last year and could not move the football. At all. They have now an expertise on offense, upgrades at left tackle, quarterback, wide receiver and more than anything, coaching. I tell ya, it's really funny to say this out loud. Dallas and Rams will be reasonably close in record." Davis added "If you look at their schedules, there's a shot and the other thing about it. Regardless of what you think about Goff, no one talent-less gets drafted number one overall. There's some talent there, the guy can be a bust, but he has talent. That's the thing, he has some talent, so a few things going right here and there and they could actually be in the mix."

My thoughts on this go hand in hand. I am normally the optimistic fan, but I truly think Cowherd and Davis really know what they are talking about. Cowherd does not go on the air and throw praise at random teams (that's for sure) so I would be a little excited as a Rams fan listening to this. Basically, my takeaway is this, I know plenty about my favorite team and so I don't really learn much when other media analysts or sportscasters talk about the Rams in general. However, I do like getting a national media member's ideas and opinions out on the Rams. I will say, I love The Herd, I listen to it for three hours while I work my day job. To hear Cowherd and Davis talk about the Rams for nears three minutes and to hear it all sound pretty positive. That leaves you in general with a good feeling. Now, there is plenty of things that are left for the Rams to prove, but national media recognition is worth noting and while many may be surprised if the Rams have a breakthrough season. Cowherd, Davis and I will not be in that group of people.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Eric Davis does not bullshit when he speaks. He gives his honest opinion. So for him to speak positively about the Rams is nothing to throw shade at. Now can he be wrong? Sure, but he is not one of those guys that is just throwing things out there and continuing the narrative. He speaks what he actually thinks. And I have always liked his thought process because he articulates his thoughts with actual "reason" and "facts".

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Eric Davis does not bullcrap when he speaks. He gives his honest opinion. So for him to speak positively about the Rams is nothing to throw shade at. Now can he be wrong? Sure, but he is not one of those guys that is just throwing things out there and continuing the narrative. He speaks what he actually thinks. And I have always liked his thought process because he articulates his thoughts with actual "reason" and "facts".
Could not agree more! I love Eric Davis. I also love Cowherd so this segment was awesome!

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LOL I just wrote a story on this.

Cool because we need all the good stories we can get Jake.. I mean we only have 31 LONG FREAKING Days until Training Camp starts..

If I was wealthy, I would take a month vacation out of the country in the beautiful areas of Italy LOL :banghead:

tumblr_inline_o68p96UyMr1u7ya9r_500.jpg

Last edited:

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Could not agree more! I love Eric Davis. I also love Cowherd so this segment was awesome!

Ooops didn't see your post yet and that you had posted the Eric Davis on Cowherd Interview... I will delete the other thread...

Tried to delete and it won't let me? the admin will have to merge it to this thread or delete it etc..

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Best part IMO is not that they're positive about the Rams going forward. But that they list improvements to the team not the least among them is the coaching and give reason for their belief that the Rams will improve.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Ooops didn't see your post yet and that you had posted the Eric Davis on Cowherd Interview... I will delete the other thread...

Tried to delete and it won't let me? the admin will have to merge it to this thread or delete it etc..

No worries. According to the time stamp you were there first.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Cowherd does not go on the air and throw praise at random teams
When the Rams were the rage of all preseason picks a few years ago, he was all over Jeff Fisher and we were going 11 and 5 or something like that. He's always liked a bunch of our talent.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't like either of these bastids, but at least they had some sense to come in here to check out my 9-7 prediction before they spoke about the Rams:rockon:

Memphis Ram

Legend
How much better is Todd Gurley going to be? I think the issue with Todd Gurley is understanding how to be a pro. He needs to understand how to run. Where is the free hitter? Where is the danger coming from? That's what I think Todd Gurley is still trying to figure out. And that's what the good running backs in the league understand. It's not just "Okay, there's a hole there". You know if the guys in front of you do their job there's going to be a hole. But, there's a free guy coming in, how do you set that up? LeVeon Bell is better than anyone at that, understanding how to take away the unblocked guy. So, he has to learn how to make people miss, all of those things will help with the development of Jared Goff. I think he will definitely improve on what he's done just by being out there. But, he has a little bit farther to go than some of these guys."
theatermove.gif

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Some Rams conversation and just good overall NFL talk.. Listen to the whole thing

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6spnpscjLVc&feature=youtu.be

LOL Davis's last two words, that he mumbles, at the end of the show, after complementing the Rams (Sort of) where " ..That Hurt!" (y):rolllaugh:

Davis had some small good points, But I agree with him on very little!
* he thinks Teams should be built " From the out-side in . . ' I think they should be build from the in-side-out!
* He thinks IF a Team "Takes away the opponents Best WR, It kills there Running game. BS!!
Thanks for posting this Florida _Ram! I Had a good chuckle listening to Eric!:LOL:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Eric Davis does not bullcrap when he speaks. He gives his honest opinion. So for him to speak positively about the Rams is nothing to throw shade at. Now can he be wrong? Sure, but he is not one of those guys that is just throwing things out there and continuing the narrative. He speaks what he actually thinks. And I have always liked his thought process because he articulates his thoughts with actual "reason" and "facts".
Davis Articulate? Yes! Bias? Yes! Do I agree with most of what he say? No!
He's very opinionated and Bias and shows it! I will repeat, again, the Last two words he mumbled as the show ended ( After complementing the Rams) " THAT HURT!"

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Davis Articulate? Yes! Bias? Yes! Do I agree with most of what he say? No!
He's very opinionated and Bias and shows it! I will repeat, again, the Last two words he mumbled as the show ended ( After complementing the Rams) " THAT HURT!"

That is actually Cowherd saying "The Herd".

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
That is actually Cowherd saying "The Herd".
It didn't sound like Cowherd to me. But I where Hearing Aids! And I know Davis DOES NOT LIKE THE RAMS!

EDIT: I just went Bake and re-listened to the end of the interview and Les Your right, it was Cowher that said " That hurt!" (y) I guess both of them Hate the Rams!!:LOL:

Last edited:

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
It didn't sound like Cowherd to me. But I where Hearing Aids! And I know Davis DOES NOT LIKE THE RAMS!

EDIT: I just went Bake and re-listened to the end of the interview and Les Your right, it was Cowher that said " That hurt!" (y) I guess both of them Hate the Rams!!:LOL:
Come on guys, Cowherd says what he says at the end of every segment. " The Herd " Paranoid much

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Eric Davis was a smart CB right? NO speed, but made some pro bowls with technique....I agree with what he says, too.
I think 8-8 is actually very reasonable....especially because of a better schedule, better offensive coaching, Goff talent, the O line will be better.

And, Carson Wentz will never become the QB people think he might be...another good, journeyman type. Slow delivery, and his athleticism isn't sooooo great that he is a game changer; he is a strong armed, and smart QB--there is more to quarterbacking than that. Just ask J EVerett re his 1991-1994 avg performance.... imho ;)