Cowboys' Tyron Smith can bench press how much?!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000495964/article/cowboys-tyron-smith-can-bench-press-how-much

Cowboys' Tyron Smith can bench press how much?!
By Conor Orr/Around The NFL Writer

It's hard to believe that just four years ago, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones selected tackle Tyron Smith in the first round. He was the first offensive linemen Jones had taken in the first round since acquiring the Cowboys in 1989.

Now, he has what some (well, La'el Collins) are projecting to be the best unit in NFL history with four first-round picks spread across the front five.

But none of this would be possible without Smith, who has been the consummate Cowboy from Day One.

According to center Travis Frederick, Smith can bench anywhere from 600 to 700 pounds.

"He does crazy things in the weight room that I wish that I could do and I never will be able to do unfortunately," Frederick said, via the Morning News. "It wouldn't be unusual to see a small car."

For reference, here is a video of a man failing to bench 725 pounds. In that article, we are reminded that the average Harley Davidson motorcycle weighs about 600 pounds.

If nothing else, we should all have a new appreciation for Dallas' anchor on the left side.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...ncluding-his-over-600-pound-bench-press.html/

10 things to know about Tyron Smith, including his over 600-pound bench press
SportsDayDFW sports

Dallas Cowboys tackle Tyron Smith (77) celebrates with his temmates after a review gave the Cowboys the win when the Cowboys stopped the Giants on fourth down at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey, Sunday, November 23, 2014. The Cowboys won 31-28. (Tom Fox/The Dallas Morning News)

Tyron Smith has developed into one of the cornerstones of the Cowboys offensive line in his four years in the league. Here are 10 things you might not know about the two-time Pro Bowler.

1. Five-star recruit

Considered a five-star recruit and described as “an amazing right tackle prospect” by Rivals.com, Smith was ranked as the No. 6 offensive tackle prospect. Scout.com listed him as the No. 1 offensive tackle prospect in the nation. In 2010, Smith won the Morris Trophy award as the Pac 10 conference’s top offensive lineman.

2. Making Cowboys draft history

(From left) Stephen Jones, Dallas Cowboys executive vice president, looks on as new draftee Tyron Smith dons team clothing next to owner Jerry Jones and head coach Jason Garrett during a press conference Friday, April 29, 2011 at the Cowboys’ Valley Ranch practice facility in Irving. (G.J. McCarthy/The Dallas Morning News)

The Cowboys drafted Smith ninth overall in the 2011 NFL Draft. He was the first offensive lineman drafted in the first round by the Cowboys since Jerry Jones bought the team in 1989, and the highest in franchise history since John Niland in 1966.

3. Helping out West

In the wake of the fertilizer explosion in West, Texas, in April of 2013, Smith drove to West and helped serve food to many of the emergency workers who had responded to explosion.

4. Packing the weight on

Dallas Cowboys offensive lineman Tyron Smith laughs after seeing his ball hit off a power line pole during the Cowboys annual charity golf tournament at Cowboys Golf Club in Grapevine on May 15, 2013. (Vernon Bryant/The Dallas Morning News)

Smith works hard to keep himself at 320 pounds. According to Cowboys center Travis Frederick, Smith always is complaining that he’s full but he has to eat more. “It really pains me to watch it,” Frederick said in a radio interview. “I think it’s a little unfair.”

5. Two-time Pro Bowler

In 2013, Smith established himself as one of the top offensive tackles in the league, committing just one holding penalty and allowing only one sack in his 16 starts. He was named to the 2013 Pro Bowl. In 2014 he was named to the Pro Bowl again and earned 1st-team All-Pro honors.

6. 600-pound bench press

According to Cowboys center Travis Frederick, Smith bench presses between 600 and 700 pounds. “He does crazy things in the weight room that I wish that I could do and I never will be able to do unfortunately,” Frederick said in a radio interview. “It wouldn’t be unusual to see a small car.”

7. ‘Beast’

According to ESPN, Smith and his girlfriend have five rescue dogs, including a 110-pound French mastiff named ‘Beast.’

8. The family business

Smith grew up working in the family business: Pinkney’s Cleaning Service. He alson with his five siblings would clean buildings beginning at 4 or 5 a.m., finish and go to school around 8 a.m., according to ESPN.

9. New wealth, family trouble

Southern California offensive tackle Tyron Smith poses for photographs with family and friends after he was selected as the ninth overall pick by the Dallas Cowboys in the first round of the NFL football draft at Radio City Music Hall on Thursday, April 28, 2011, in New York. (AP Photo/Jason DeCrow)

Sudden wealth had its drawbacks for Smith. He signed a $12.5 million contract with the Cowboys in 2011 and agreed to pay his parents a substantial amount of money in four installments. However, Smith’s stepfather, Roy Pinkney, his mother, Frankie Pinkney, and some of his siblings kept coming back for more.

In October of 2012, John Schorsch — Smith’s Dallas-based attorney at the time — said Smith’s “mom and/or the stepdad threatened the physical well-being of Tyron and the life of his girlfriend.”

On the final weekend of October 2012, Smith was at the Cowboys’ team hotel when two of his sisters showed up announced at his home looking for money, leading his girlfriend to call 911. Smith filed a protective order against his parents, which prohibited them from attending Cowboys training camp in Oxnard, Calif. Once during training camp, one of Smith’s brothers whom he said he hadn’t talked to “in a long time” showed up and had to be removed from the facility.

10. Open to forgiving

In 2013 Smith said he was open to reconciling with his family. “If all the incidents stop,” Smith said, “and they just give me the space that I’ve asked for. The takeaway from this is don’t let people take advantage of you. And it’s all right to say no to certain people.”

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Tyron Smith is a 320 lb man with a six pack. I am not surprised.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I was totally wrong on Tyron Smith. I thought he was taken too early and never felt that he would be as good as he is. I figured he would be a league average OLT and play better on the right side................wrong.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
On another note I know a family that cleaned businesses before and after schools. To this day the kids resent their parents for the upbringing.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I caught some major flack for wanting to draft him. He's really good, and even better than I thought he'd be.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I feel bad for the kid if he says about his parents are true.

There is no reason they should exploit him.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
wasn't there that hockey player recently who let his parents "manage" his money and they blew millions and put him millions more in debt. now that's fucked up

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
wasn't there that hockey player recently who let his parents "manage" his money and they blew millions and put him millions more in debt. now that's fucked up

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/11/jack-johnson-blue-jackets-bankruptcy-parents

NHL player files for bankruptcy after parents borrow $15 million in his name
By MIKE FOSS

USA TODAY Sports

Jack Johnson is getting paid $5 million by the Columbus Blue Jackets this year. The 27-year-old defenseman has amassed over $18 million in a nine-year career, and signed a seven-year, $30.5 million deal signed with the Los Angeles Kings back in 2011.

Johnson is filing for bankruptcy.

He owes more than $10 million in debts, has assets of less than $50,000, and according to aColumbus Dispatch report has been sued at least three times for $6 million.

The root of Johnson’s financial calamity appears to be his parents, Tina and Jack Sr.

The Dispatch released its report this morning, after beginning its earlier this spring. Some of the details are truly heartbreaking.

Tina Johnson borrowed at least $15 million in her son’s name against his future earnings, sources told The Dispatch, taking out a series of high-interest loans — perhaps as many as 18 — from nonconventional lenders that resulted in a series of defaults.

Johnson’s parents didn’t just borrow money from their son. The report alleges the couple also took advantage in a litany of other ways.

Johnson’s parents allegedly each bought a car, spent more than $800,000 on upgrades to the Manhattan Beach property and traveled, often to see him play NHL games for the Kings and Blue Jackets.

The most telling quote comes from a source who recounted a dialogue between Johnson and his parents, when he confronted them about debt collectors calling in regard to defaulted loans.

“Jack would ask (his parents) questions: ‘What’s this? What are these guys calling about?’  ” a source said. “And they would tell him not to worry about it, just worry about playing hockey.”

Johnson has hired a new attorney, severed ties with his family, and is attempting to rebuild and find his way out of the mess created. His bankruptcy hearing is scheduled to take place in Los Angeles in late January.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
nope...the bench is a useless piece of material...basically says so right here...why would anyone want linemen that lift weights and is raw?

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/11/jack-johnson-blue-jackets-bankruptcy-parents

NHL player files for bankruptcy after parents borrow $15 million in his name
By MIKE FOSS

USA TODAY Sports

Jack Johnson is getting paid $5 million by the Columbus Blue Jackets this year. The 27-year-old defenseman has amassed over $18 million in a nine-year career, and signed a seven-year, $30.5 million deal signed with the Los Angeles Kings back in 2011.

Johnson is filing for bankruptcy.

He owes more than $10 million in debts, has assets of less than $50,000, and according to aColumbus Dispatch report has been sued at least three times for $6 million.

The root of Johnson’s financial calamity appears to be his parents, Tina and Jack Sr.

The Dispatch released its report this morning, after beginning its earlier this spring. Some of the details are truly heartbreaking.

Tina Johnson borrowed at least $15 million in her son’s name against his future earnings, sources told The Dispatch, taking out a series of high-interest loans — perhaps as many as 18 — from nonconventional lenders that resulted in a series of defaults.

Johnson’s parents didn’t just borrow money from their son. The report alleges the couple also took advantage in a litany of other ways.

Johnson’s parents allegedly each bought a car, spent more than $800,000 on upgrades to the Manhattan Beach property and traveled, often to see him play NHL games for the Kings and Blue Jackets.

The most telling quote comes from a source who recounted a dialogue between Johnson and his parents, when he confronted them about debt collectors calling in regard to defaulted loans.

“Jack would ask (his parents) questions: ‘What’s this? What are these guys calling about?’  ” a source said. “And they would tell him not to worry about it, just worry about playing hockey.”

Johnson has hired a new attorney, severed ties with his family, and is attempting to rebuild and find his way out of the mess created. His bankruptcy hearing is scheduled to take place in Los Angeles in late January.
yep. so fucked up. worst parents ever

paceram

Pro Bowler
The Dallas Cowboys are my LEAST favorite NFL Team BUT I would love to see their offensive line play against the Rams defensive line! Just maybe they may get that chance in the playoffs this season!

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
nope...the bench is a useless piece of material...basically says so right here...why would anyone want linemen that lift weights and is raw?
I always thought it would be good to get an idea of how much these guys can bench for a single rep vs that useless multiple 225 lb bench press workout. The only problem would be guys getting hurt trying to bench to much.