Cowboys like what they’re seeing from Michael Sam

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/12/cowboys-like-what-theyre-seeing-from-michael-sam/

Cowboys like what they’re seeing from Michael Sam
Posted by Darin Gantt on September 12, 2014

64ebff2a2ce48bb4c645ee3f597f5e8f-e1410526444896.jpeg
AP

Unlike the preseason when he was with the Rams, there’s no visual evidence to interpret on Cowboys practice squad defensive end Michael Sam.

But Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli said he’s seen progress already in the two weeks Sam’s been on hand.

He’s done some good things,” Marinelli said, via Jon Machota of the Dallas Morning News. “The only thing he really gets is some of our individual periods and then he gets some one-on-one rushes on Wednesday, and I think he’s gotten a little bit better.

“But it’s tougher for a practice squad guy because these other guys here, they’re pounding with all week long in terms of fundamentals and game-planning and those things. So it’s a little tougher, but he’s got movement. I like his quickness and his instincts. He’s got really good work habits, so just keep working to develop him.”

Being out of the spotlight and working on his game is a new experience, as his every move was watched during his time with the Rams. But Cowboys defensive end Jeremy Minceycame up the practice squad route himself, and he knows it can help.

“He’s doing a good job,” Mincey said of Sam. “He works hard. He does what you ask of him and that’s all you can do in this league. . . .

“He’s won a lot of rushes. He’s doing a good job. He’s got a lot to learn and that comes with experience. I was just like him, a young guy on the practice squad, so it’s a good developmental phase for him to get better.”

Given the current state of the Cowboys defense, any able body might help them, so it’s reasonable to think Sam’s going to get his chance to be the league’s first openly gay player at some point this season.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...-i-like-his-quickness-and-his-instincts.html/
Michael Sam doing a good job in practice; Rod Marinelli: ‘I like his quickness and his instincts’
By Jon Machota
jmachota@dallasnews.com

Michael Sam (46) runs a drill. (AP Photo/LM Otero)

IRVING — Michael Sam has mostly kept to himself in the Dallas Cowboys’ Valley Ranch locker room when the media has been around. The 24-year-old defensive end will occasionally make small talk with reporters but he hasn’t taken questions since a five-minute introductory interview outside the locker room on Sept. 3.

Sam is a practice squad player, so it makes sense that he’s not sitting at his locker constantly answering questions about how the Cowboys stack up with the San Francisco 49ers or Tennessee Titans.

Since reporters are only allowed to watch the first 30 minutes of practice, Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli was asked Thursday how the seventh-round pick has looked.

“He’s done some good things,” Marinelli said. “The only thing he really gets is some of our individual periods and then he gets some one-on-one rushes on Wednesday, and I think he’s gotten a little bit better.

“But it’s tougher for a practice squad guy because these other guys here, they’re pounding with all week long in terms of fundamentals and game-planning and those things. So it’s a little tougher, but he’s got movement. I like his quickness and his instincts. He’s got really good work habits, so just keep working to develop him.”

Cowboys right defensive end Jeremy Mincey was in a similar situation after he was drafted in 2006. Mincey, a sixth-round pick by New England, was on the Patriots’ practice squad before he was signed by San Francisco. Mincey never played in a game during the 2006 season.

The following year he played in six games for Jacksonville.

“He’s doing a good job,” Mincey said of Sam on Thursday. “He works hard. He does what you ask of him and that’s all you can do in this league.”

Has Sam showed flashes of the SEC co-defensive player of the year he was last season at Missouri?

“He has,” Mincey said. “He’s won a lot of rushes. He’s doing a good job. He’s got a lot to learn and that comes with experience. I was just like him, a young guy on the practice squad, so it’s a good developmental phase for him to get better.”

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sam working with a bloke called Mincey, you couldn't make it up could you?!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good for him. I'll always think of him as a Ram, even if he didn't make it out of training camp, since they gave him a chance and a showcase.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
LOL. Not even for last week's debacle?

YCy2TRE.jpg

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Nope. No excuses. They were just turrible...knuckle-headed turrible...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Their just playing up-to the standards they've set for themselves for the Last 4 years!

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Could it have been possible we traded Sam somehow? I just feel like we gave away a decent player. I though his showing in preseason was not bad, imo.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was a little surprised that they didn't sign him when Long went on IR - that shows that the team is higher on Conrath than Sam. I don't know if it's just current performance, or if they think Conrath is more likely to become a regular part of the rotation.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Could it have been possible we traded Sam somehow? I just feel like we gave away a decent player. I though his showing in preseason was not bad, imo.
Lol

The Rams released him, he cleared waivers and was free for the taking for about a week before Dallas signed him to the PS

In short, no, we couldnt have traded him....

AnarchyRam

Rookie

I thought he looked like a potentially great pass rusher.. I don't think I was biased in that observation either.

RamEERS

Pastor
Lol

The Rams released him, he cleared waivers and was free for the taking for about a week before Dallas signed him to the PS

plus you have to add in that the NFL talked to all of the owners and tried to convince them to sign him... I dont see this kind of treatment to any other 7th rounder

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Lol

Im not saying NOW. I was talking about back then.... I know everything you stated.

Philly5

Rookie
I would rather read about the stadium stuff than a Cowboys practice squad player. :D

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Not surprising...he's a decent pass rusher and they have a terrible defense. What's not for them to like?