Cowboys HC Jason Garrett – Conference Call – September 17, 2014 (On the start of the season)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Cowboys Head Coach Jason Garrett – Conference Call – September 17, 2014(On the start of the season and bouncing back after a Week 1 loss to the 49ers)
“Our opener against San Francisco wasn’t what we wanted. We turned the ball over four times. They returned a fumble for a touchdown and they returned an interception down to the 1-yard line. We also threw an interception going in, in the end zone, so we really kind of put ourselves behind the eight ball in that game due to our inability to secure the football and they took advantage of it. They’re too good a team as you guys know. You can’t do that against anybody in the NFL. We felt like there were some good things in that game despite the turnovers, but obviously that really painted the picture of the whole game. I thought we did a better job last week in Tennessee winning the turnover battle and obviously running the football. We had the ball a lot in the game, over 40 minutes of time of possession. I thought we made some good stops on defense and made some difference making plays on special teams. Thought we did a good job coming back after that loss against San Francisco.”

(On how RB DeMarco Murray helps both the offense and defense)
“He’s an excellent football player and really has been since he got here a few years ago. He’s a complete back. You really never have to take him off the field, he’s someone you can hand the ball to, you can throw it to him, he can play on third down. He can be very productive and he has been to start the season and really has been throughout his career with us. Whenever you can run the football as well as we did last week, you can control the game and we’re able to do that. I thought we did a good job converting on third downs. We had a lot of them in the game and converted over 50 percent of them and kept our drives alive with some high percentage throws by (QB) Tony (Romo) and our receiving corps. I thought it was a good mix on offense and obviously that helps our defense, when we’re possessing the football. A big part of that time of possession has to do with them getting off the field on third down and we did a very good job of that on defense last week.”

(On if he has to caution his team against being overconfident against the Rams’ defense because of two previous years of Murray’s run game success)
“I don’t think so at all, you just have to put the tape on. They obviously have some very good players and they have a challenging scheme and that’s the tape that we watch. From last week and really throughout the preseason and over the last year or so, as you prepare for these early season games. There’s plenty of good players in their front, at their linebacker level and certainly on the back end and the scheme is certainly challenging in so many different ways.”

(On what challenges the Rams’ offense pose for them)
“I thought they did a really good job last week against Tampa. A very good mix of run and pass, they ran the ball throughout the game. I thought their play-action game and their movement came off of their runs was very effective for them. They converted some big third-downs, kept drives alive particularly at the end of the game. They have some weapons outside, some young receivers who are flat out talented and certainly a very talented tight end who can threaten you down the field in the passing game. The running game has been very good. Veteran offensive line and their quarterback play has been solid, particularly last week. They do a very good job with their scheme and a big part of their scheme is featuring players and clearly they did a good job of that last week against Tampa.”

(On if he has to do any extra work to prepare for two quarterbacks)
“I think you just watch them. You watch how they individually play and then you watch how they play within the scheme. One of the big questions you always ask is, do they play differently? Are they doing different things when this guy’s playing as opposed to this guy? I do think that they’re running the Rams offense. I don’t think they’re holding anything back with either one of them and they might feature certain plays with one guy over the other guy. They both have done a nice job for them and both seem very comfortable running the Rams’ offensive scheme. ”

(On why QB Tony Romo did not practice today)
“Tony did not practice today. He played in the game against Tennessee. He actually participated in the walk thru earlier on in the day and his back was just tight coming out of the game. Not unlike (WR) Dez Bryant or (LB) Rolando McClain, a few of our guys didn’t practice today. Hopefully, that will help them get better with some rehab and hopefully they’ll be able to practice tomorrow and be ready for the game on Sunday.”

(On how DE Michael Sam has been adjusting)
“Michael’s done a nice job. I know you guys know him well from being there in training camp. He’s come in, he works hard. He’s a young developmental player. He’s had a track record of success on the college level and we, like the St. Louis Rams, have a lot of defensive lineman. So sometimes it’s hard for young guys to get opportunities. He’s certainly in the mix, he’s working hard in practice as one of our practice squad guys.”

(On getting CB Orlando Scandrick back and how much of a factor he will be Sunday)
“Well we’ll see. Orlando showed up in the middle of the morning and we go out to the practice field at 11:00 am. He was able to practice with our football team and he did a nice job. Clearly he’s been working out. He’s only been away from us for a couple weeks so that’s not too long a time. He’s a very conscientiousness guy, so he seemed like he kept himself physically ready. Our goal today was to simply get him back integrated back into practice a little bit. Rotate in on a couple different positions and just see where he is and it looked like he seemed like he was doing okay.”

(On Cowboys’ first round draft pick G Zack Martin and his transition into the offensive line)
“Zack has done a really nice job. He’s a young player. Obviously, he was a first round pick and we thought a lot of him to take him that high. You can tell he’s played a lot of snaps at a high level in college because he has a lot of room for improvement, but the game doesn’t seem too big for him. He has physical traits that are certainly good for his position, but he also has a mental makeup and an emotional makeup that I think has allowed him to transition fairly smoothly. He’s one of those guys that when he makes mistakes he learns from them, he sees it on tape, takes the coaching and really for the most part you don’t see those mistakes again. It’s a really good trait to have for any player, particularly a young guy that you’ve inserted into the lineup. I think he’s made a lot of progress since he’s been here certainly, has a long way to go, but we’re certainly. Happy with what he’s done for us.”

Cowboys RB DeMarco Murray - Conference Call - September, 17 2014

(On preparing for the Rams’ defense)
“They have a very good defensive coordinator, so they fly around fast and we’re excited about the challenge.”

(On how different the Ram’s defense looks this year as compared to the past)
“They’re a physical team and like I said they fly around pretty well and a really good secondary. As well as, obviously, they have (DE Robert) Quinn and (DE Chris) Long is down, but they have another guy stepping in. We’re excited about the challenge and we have a lot of respect for those guys.”

(On the Cowboys’offense line and how they have helped him this season)
“They’re just a hard working group. They definitely have pride in being physical and so we’re excited about what they do for us. They play well together and we’re excited.”

(On what has stood out in his mind about his previous two games against the Rams)
“Honestly, I can’t remember. I don’t look at those games because there’s a lot of new guys on the team. A similar defense, but I’m not looking at those games. I know they’re a lot better than what they’ve been. I really don’t pay attention to those games too much.”

(On the state of the team after Sunday’s win)
“I think we’re heading in the right direction. We definitely put that week behind us and we know we have a huge game coming up this week in St. Louis. We got a lot of respect for them. They’re a good team, just came off a big win as well. They’ll be ready to play, we’ve just got to come out and continue to do the little things and hopefully we’ll be successful.”

(On if there has been more of an emphasis on the running game the past two weeks than the Cowboy’s have seen in the past)
“I wouldn’t say that. I think our coaches put us in a great position to make plays, whether it’s running or passing. We got a lot of weapons, so we’re trying to get guys the ball in different ways. I don’t think there’s an emphasis on one way or the other.”

(On if more carries per game help contribute to his success)
“Whatever they ask me to do. Run it, block-catch I’m all for it. Whatever I can do to help this team win I’m all for it.”

(On if staying healthy is the key to his success)
“I’m not worried about that. It’s out of my control. All I can do is control what I can and that’s working hard, when my number’s called giving us the best chance to have a successful play.”

(On if he was surprised at how much the Cowboys ran the ball against Tennessee)
“I wouldn’t say surprised. I think the offensive line set a precedent Friday (Sunday). They were blocking well, tight ends and the receivers blocking well down the field, it just happened to go that way for us.

(On if both teams are looking to establish the run Sunday)
“Yeah they have the similarities, really good front four. The linebackers are very versatile, they can run. I’m sure we’ll have our hands full and we’re excited about the challenge. It’s going to be a good game.”

the zohan

Rookie
Name
Macker
Maury Povich.jpg