Cowboys CB Morris Claiborne benched after Rams game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...claiborne-skips-practice-after-being-benched/

Report: Morris Claiborne skips Tuesday walk-through after being demoted
Posted by Mike Wilkening on September 23, 2014

cf3b9ce55aac483d4db3aeb82b6b54c8-e1395849411708.jpeg
AP

According to a published report, the Cowboys have benched cornerback Morris Claiborne — and he apparently did not take the news especially well.

Jean-Jacques Taylor of ESPN.com reports Claiborne “angrily left” the team’s facilities and did not attend Tuesday’s walk-through practice after being told he was being removed from the starting lineup in favor of Orlando Scandrick.

A first-round pick in 2012, Claiborne has struggled with injuries and his play at points of his three-season career with Dallas. This week, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones made headlines when he said the team’s move to trade up for Claiborne two years ago hadn’t quite panned out just yet, though Jones also noted that the former LSU star still had upside.

Only 24 years old, and with 24 starts to his credit, Claiborne can still be of value to Dallas, even if it’s just in “sub” packages. But instances of NFL players skipping practice are exceedingly rare, and it will be interesting to see how the Cowboys react as they prepare for an important game against formidable New Orleans on Sunday night.

If nothing else, this is an unneeded distraction for 2-1 Dallas, which has won two games in a row and has largely flown under the radar, save for a humbling loss to San Francisco in Week One.

But now, controversy appears to have returned to Valley Ranch.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/23/jerry-jones-morris-claiborne-isnt-what-we-hoped-for/

Jerry Jones: Morris Claiborne isn’t what we hoped for
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 23, 2014

brianquick.jpg
AP

In the 2012 NFL draft, Cowboys General Manager Jerry Jones traded both his first-round pick and his second-round pick to St. Louis to move up and draft cornerback Morris Claiborne with the sixth overall pick. So far that’s not looking like a great move.

Jones says he still has hopes that Claiborne is going to turn out to be a very good player in Dallas, but he admits that through two-plus seasons, Claiborne hasn’t been the player the Cowboys believed he was when they pulled the trigger on that trade.

“Is he what we had hoped for at this point when we drafted him with the sixth overall pick, giving up the [second-round] pick to go up to the sixth pick to get him? No,” Jones said on KRLD-FM, via the Dallas Morning News. “But he’s going to be a good player.”

Claiborne had a late interception on Sunday against the Rams, but St. Louis quarterback Austin Davis was also picking on Claiborne all day until that point. Claiborne has to play better than he did on Sunday.

The two picks the Cowboys traded away turned out to be Michael Brockers, who is now starting for the Rams at defensive tackle, and Alshon Jeffery, whom the Bears drafted after a trade with the Rams and who has become one of the best young receivers in the NFL. Jones probably wishes he had stayed put and used those picks on the same two players, rather than using both picks to get Claiborne.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder how low Dallas would sell him for? :whistle: :censored:

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Claiborne has been a joke since entering the league. Funny how it took them this long to figure that out.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Since I'd rather have the Rams' 6th round CB pick, does it really matter?

If Dallas just wants to get rid of him, might be worth a swap of 7ths or something trivial. Guy always has had talent. Might just need a change of scenery. Or maybe he's just not good. Regardless, for so little risk, might be worth taking a shot.

Barksdale didn't look good in Oakland and then came over here and we all saw what happened. Never know. It's not like we have too much CB depth.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I think this is a case of the sad way society treats sports stars. If I remember correctly, Claiborne is one of those all too common youth athletes that was coddled way too much. Skated through college when he probably shouldn't have and then took the Wonderlick and scored like a 5 or 6. Then it was discovered that the dude basically can't read because he's got dislexia. I may be mixing up stories, but it all feels pretty familiar at 8:15 with no coffee.

The long short, I feel sorry for the kid.

Big Game

Living The Dream
Quick owned Claiborne alll day last Sunday. If it wasn't for safety help and an over throw by Davis on that last play Quick would have beat him again for possibly a huge gain.

Claiborne was always overrated to me he played on a good LSU defensive team. But if you go back and watch tape of him he was beat a lot when left one on one. Go back and watch West Virginia vs LSU i think Stedman Bailey was either a freshman or sophomore and he was destroying Claiborne all day.

He is overrated and the Cowboys finally realize that.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think this is a case of the sad way society treats sports stars. If I remember correctly, Claiborne is one of those all too common youth athletes that was coddled way too much. Skated through college when he probably shouldn't have and then took the Wonderlick and scored like a 5 or 6. Then it was discovered that the dude basically can't read because he's got dislexia. I may be mixing up stories, but it all feels pretty familiar at 8:15 with no coffee.

The long short, I feel sorry for the kid.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/03/claiborne-gives-birth-to-a-four-on-the-wonderlic/

Claiborne gives birth to a four on the Wonderlic
Posted by Mike Florio on April 3, 2012

morrisclaibornelsuvwestvirginiaelklsangzvol-e1333451776820.jpg
Getty Images

The NFL has kept the Wonderlic results under tighter wraps than usual this year. Or maybe the media has had enough other things to keep itself occupied.

Regardless, the first eye-opening score has leaked from the 2012 edition of the 50-question Wonderlic test. Per multiple league sources, LSU cornerbackMorris Claiborne scored a four.

Yes. A four. Out of 50.

Six years ago, quarterback Vince Young initially got a six. Re-scoring of the test bumped it to a seven. A next-day Mulligan moved it to 13.

Finally, Young has someone at whom he can point and laugh.

The joke, however, continues to be on anyone who thinks that all college athletes are also students. Plenty of them aren’t. They’re minor-league football players who have no choice but to wait at least three years until they get a shot at joining the NFL.

How else can anyone explain a person who presumably has found a way to avoid failing out of college getting such a low score on a basic intelligence test?

And that gives rise to a more important question. What did LSU actually do to keep Claiborne from failing out of school?

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...iborne-wonderlic-result-leaked/1#.VCLHoN_77cA

Long-time scout and current columnist Greg Gabriel of the National Football Post writes that the Wonderlic test is not fair to Claiborne or other draft prospects:

When Claiborne came out of high school, the schools that recruited him knew he had a learning disability. I don't know much about his disability other than it has to do with reading.

Everyone I have talked to tells me that Claiborne has great character and is a great kid. He knows and understands his disability and uses all the resources that LSU has available to control it and to help him get by in the classroom.

When it comes to football he puts in extra time to learn and understand his assignments and it is not a problem. Will he need reps? Probably, but no more than the usual rookie would need. In saying that, Claiborne's test score was not a true indicator of his intelligence. He can and does learn.

What I suspect happened is a club drafting after (the fifth spot) leaked the test score to try and scare off teams in the top five from drafting Claiborne.

This is dirty pool but it often happens at this time of year in the NFL. Just remember, if you start to hear a lot of negative things about some highly rated players in the next few weeks, it may be because a team who drafts later in the round wants the player to drop.

Irish

Starter
I loved Claiborne coming out of college.

Shows you what I know about player evaluation (nothing)

jjab360

Legend
I loved Claiborne coming out of college.

Shows you what I know about player evaluation (nothing)
I thought he had good ball skills, but allowed way too much separation in man coverage. Thought the same thing about Justin Gilbert this year.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/03/claiborne-gives-birth-to-a-four-on-the-wonderlic/

Claiborne gives birth to a four on the Wonderlic
Posted by Mike Florio on April 3, 2012

morrisclaibornelsuvwestvirginiaelklsangzvol-e1333451776820.jpg
Getty Images

The NFL has kept the Wonderlic results under tighter wraps than usual this year. Or maybe the media has had enough other things to keep itself occupied.

Regardless, the first eye-opening score has leaked from the 2012 edition of the 50-question Wonderlic test. Per multiple league sources, LSU cornerbackMorris Claiborne scored a four.

Yes. A four. Out of 50.

Six years ago, quarterback Vince Young initially got a six. Re-scoring of the test bumped it to a seven. A next-day Mulligan moved it to 13.

Finally, Young has someone at whom he can point and laugh.

The joke, however, continues to be on anyone who thinks that all college athletes are also students. Plenty of them aren’t. They’re minor-league football players who have no choice but to wait at least three years until they get a shot at joining the NFL.

How else can anyone explain a person who presumably has found a way to avoid failing out of college getting such a low score on a basic intelligence test?

And that gives rise to a more important question. What did LSU actually do to keep Claiborne from failing out of school?

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...iborne-wonderlic-result-leaked/1#.VCLHoN_77cA

Long-time scout and current columnist Greg Gabriel of the National Football Post writes that the Wonderlic test is not fair to Claiborne or other draft prospects:

When Claiborne came out of high school, the schools that recruited him knew he had a learning disability. I don't know much about his disability other than it has to do with reading.

Everyone I have talked to tells me that Claiborne has great character and is a great kid. He knows and understands his disability and uses all the resources that LSU has available to control it and to help him get by in the classroom.

When it comes to football he puts in extra time to learn and understand his assignments and it is not a problem. Will he need reps? Probably, but no more than the usual rookie would need. In saying that, Claiborne's test score was not a true indicator of his intelligence. He can and does learn.

What I suspect happened is a club drafting after (the fifth spot) leaked the test score to try and scare off teams in the top five from drafting Claiborne.

This is dirty pool but it often happens at this time of year in the NFL. Just remember, if you start to hear a lot of negative things about some highly rated players in the next few weeks, it may be because a team who drafts later in the round wants the player to drop.

Quit being so on point.
Damn show off.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I wanted Claiborne, in the 2012 Draft, But he's proven me wrong since then! ( I was happy we got Brockers instead!!:D)

blueberry

UDFA
Name
Joey
I hated the trade up to get him, but I thought he would be a stud at least. I just thought that there were more pressing need, like the fact our DL and OL were pretty ancient.

Now that he isn't a stud, I really despise that damn trade.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Maybe we should do a Jason Smith/Wayne Hunter trade...we can send them Pead, and we will get Claiborne. Then a year or two from now both will be at home watching the games on Sundays.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
You never know what you're getting in the draft or what's gonna happen. It almost seems you're lucky to come out good or play like you wanted/ expected. Heck, Quick now turned into the guy we wanted. He's actually making Snead look pretty good, right now.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
With as many holes as we still have, giving up that second round pick for ANYBODY was just a dumb move. Then, we move to a 4-3. Our front office is a joke. Our head coach took 3 years to figure out you have to run the ball.