Cowboy Point of View...Rams VS Boys

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
I was intrigued with the differences in coaching styles elucidated in the article.

Very one sided article, so don't chop my head off, or I won't sneak behind ememy lines again. I'm just the messenger. I've Hated Cowboys for forty-five years! Bunch of loud mouthed, dirty, egocentric...

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2015...camp-practice-summary-rams-nation-descends-on

Cowboys 2015 Training Camp Practice Summary: Rams Nation Descends On Oxnard, Brings Gloom

By rabblerousr@rabblerousr on Aug 17, 2015, 10:01p 53
GettyImages-461343244.0.jpg

Mr. Mince had a four-sack afternoon on Monday
Observations from the Cowboys’ fourteenth training camp practice, the first of two scrimmages against the St. Louis Rams.

The day's biggest surprise was provided by Rams Nation, which I had assumed was perhaps a couple hundred strong. Yet, well over an hour before practice started, the stands on the far field were filled with blue-and-yellow clad fans.

I'm not sure there were more people in total at Monday's practice than there were at the Blue-White Scrimmage, but it was certainly very comparable. The size of the crowd certainly lent a great deal of noise, hype and general energy to the proceedings. Chants and catcalls filled the air, particularly when the two teams went-head to head in the competitive and full team periods.
Fittingly for such a moribund franchise, the Rams fans seemed to have brought an overcast day with them (they are the NFL's version of Schleprock, it appears). It was the only cloudy day of camp thus far. Ultimately, this was probably a god thing, considering that it was also one of Oxnard 2015's most intense practices; indeed, today's work environment enjoyed an intensity that we haven't seen in the two plus weeks in Oxnard, including some jawing back and forth between the Rams players and personnel and the Cowboys fans assembled on the near field.

Although the atmosphere may have been unique, the daily schedule followed a familiar and well-trod path, with the sequence of position group exercises, competitive periods, special teams sessions and full team 11-on-11 work that we have come to expect. The key difference between today and other practices was that, during competitive and full team periods, Dallas players went toe-to-toe with Rams instead of Cowboys. This began after the Cowboys had engaged in all the usual pre-warm-up activities: special teams period (with a focus on kickoff return and coverage); 11-on-11 walk-through; pat-n-go; ball period; screen period; lower-body warm-up.

The Cowboys offense worked against the Rams defense on the near field and the defense squared off against the rival offense on the far field. At practices, I usually run back and forth between the two fields to make sure I can get a close-up view of a specific position group's technique work and then get into proper position to photograph the full team period. Today, due to a combination of the format and the oversized crowds, I opted to remain on the near field, where Tony Romo and Company ran plays against the Rams defense. Tomorrow, I'll set up shop n the other side, and let you know how the Cowboys defense fares against Nick Foles and the St. Louis offense (although I have a little info in that regard to share below).

One thing that was readily apparent was that the Cowboys coach on the run while the Rams coach between drills. The result is that the Cowboys get a lot more work done in the same period of time than the Rams do. This was most evident in the special teams period, where we have grown accustomed to seeing Rich Bisaccia give his charges numerous reps when they work on a given element of the return game. As they reassemble for each rep, he shouts out notes, but there is never any standing around while he talks (there is standing around when he breaks the unit down into discrete elements and works one of the elements, but that group gets the notes-after-the-rep treatment). When the Rams special teams worked today, their coach would gather them together around a card, give them individual instructions, and then both teams would run the drill. The Cowboys players ended up doing a lot of waiting for the Rams players to get their teaching in.

Once again, Tyron Smith didn't participate in anything more strenuous than walk-through pace, and Doug Free continued to be limited as well. As a consequence, the much-ballyhooed confrontation between the Cowboys' premium O-line and the Rams' sterling D-line was, well, anticlimactic:

Moreover, when the the practice schedule rolled around to the physical periods (competitive, full team), both starting tackles were on the sidelines, and Tony Romo was "protected" by Darrion Weems and R.J. Dill. So, it shouldn't be a cause for concern that the Cowboys struggled in first team period when the focus was on the running game. They managed a few solid runs, but the big lanes to which we have become accustomed were nowhere in evidence. Nor will they be, I'd guess, until the Cowboys' best player returns to the fold.

During the first competitive period, the Rams linebackers faced off against the Cowboys running backs and tight ends. I can say definitively that St. Louis doesn't have a single linebacker who can cover any of the Cowboys RBs or TEs. Indeed, they had to resort to clutching and grabbing just to stay in the vicinity, and even then were ineffective. In particular, Jason Witten and Gavin Escobar made catch after catch, including several intermediate-to-deep throws. The capper? Dustin Vaughan was the quarterback.

From the "we've heard this before" department: once again, Cole Beasley couldn't be covered, whether in one-on-one, 7-on-7 or in 11-on-11 situations. No matter who they put on him, be the defender big or small, fast or physical, Beasley made him look silly. One example from many:

Another receiver note: Terrance Williams dusted Janoris Jenkins on a couple of early reps, including a deep crosser that would have been a touchdown. In Dez Bryant's absence, both during OTAs and in the last week or so of camp, Number 83 has really stepped forward. Whenever the receivers go through position group drills or competitive periods, he always takes the first rep, often against the best defender. Bryant-Williams has oft been compared to Irvin-Harper, but Williams is far better than Harper, who was a mouse in a greyhound's body. T-Will is a badger in an antelope's body, and is more driven, competitive and physical than Harper ever was.

On the afternoon, the Rams were the chippier of the two squads. On one play in particular, Joseph Randle turned to take a short pass upfield only to be hit high by the Rams' Trumaine Johnson, which sent Randle into a somersault and almost resulted in fisticuffs when Devin Street approached Johnson to let him know just how little he appreciated his treatment of Randle. That the incident didn't end up in a brawl was a testament to the Cowboys' seeming desire to remain disciplined and not let the scrimmage devolve into a series of bench-clearing brawls.

Nonetheless, the Rams willingness to engage in some outside-the-envelope pushing and shoving evidently angered both Dez Bryant and Terrance Williams, both of whom could be seen complaining to their fellow wideouts during the final team stretch (Bryant had come over from the sideline where he was working on the bands to get in Johnson's face, and finished by patting him on the helmet). If any of you have a particularly good memory, you may recall that this was the case the first day against the Raiders last year. On day two, the Cowboys clearly came out resolved not to take any guff, and were every bit as physical and willing to scrap as were the Raiders. Given Bryant and T-Will's post-practice attitudes, I'd expect a similar narrative to develop tomorrow afternoon.

Speaking of Bryant, he aligned at the "X" receiver for every snap in the first full team 11-on-11 walk-through. The man loves to play, and he's going to take every rep that he's allowed. Not being able to participate in any of the competitive or full team work his afternoon must have KILLED him. He did what he could, rallying his offensive mates from the sidelines (in a series of invective-filled exhortations), but we know what he really wanted to do was to shut Trumaine Johnson up by making him look silly on a crossing pattern.

Speaking of killed, a bit of news form the other side of the field, where the Cowboys' defensive line dominated the one-on-one pod drills. The Rams use an actual quarterback in these drills, who aligns in the shotgun. Perhaps because this gave the D-line an attack point, they ate the Rams for lunch. Jeremy Mincey collected four sacks, two each from defensive tackle and defensive end, and he was joined in the sack parade by DeMarcus Lawrence, who had to QB bags, Davon Coleman, who had three, and Randy Gregory and Greg Hardy, who had two apiece. For Hardy, this came in two reps. Check it:

Another bit of news form the other field was that Corey White continued his stellar camp, playing tight coverage and adding a pretty pick of a Nick Foles pass (even though Foles is now with the
I couldn't agree more. When all is said and done, I believe we are going to look back at the 2015 season and wonder how the front office managed to score White and linebacker Andrew Gachkar at such a discount. Perhaps we should start a "Will McClay for executive of the year" campaign?

Last edited:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You knew it was going to be ridiculous, when he blamed Rams fans for there being clouds.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
So in short, every Cowboys player was better than any Rams player?

Please excuse me while I go see a doctor to have my eyes unrolled...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Not shocking that a Cowboys report fails to mention a single positive thing. I expected this kind of report so not really disappointed.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
It sounds like this was the '85 Bears vs. my high school team. That's the most one-sided piece of crap I've ever read.

bskrilla

Starter
Says the Rams were the chippier bunch and talks about one of our DB's hitting one of their receivers too hard. Ignores the fact that one of the fights was the result of a Cowboy DB taking a shot at BQuick who was wearing a "do not hit" cap...

Also you can watch the Rams Oline vs the Cowboys Dline 1v1 drill in the second half of this video.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/video/2015/08/17/training-camp-live-cowboys-vs-rams-day-1

It's not as nearly as one sided as he makes it sound. The people who got routinely beat were back-ups or Barnes/Jones. All the other starters fared much better.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I hate the friggin' cowgirls and all things associated with them.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
That was as one sided as I expected. It was more comical than anything. I liked the part about how we had to resort to grabbing their uber talented team just to stay along. On every play no less. Poor us, just too slow to keep up. If we only had their talent and raw physical ability. Lol. I also liked the part about how Dez Bryant not liking our DBs being aggressive actually meant something profound to him. Ooh their team didn't like our team. We must suck then. :jerkoff:

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
We were clearly outplayed yesterday. We didn't make one good play out there. Might as well have been going against tackling dummies. :cool:

tempCamp081715_012--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg
tempCamp081715_019--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg
tempCamp081715_021--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg
tempCamp081715_023--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg
08172015_training_camp_whitehead_jj137.jpg

08172015_training_camp_patmon_jj179.jpg

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Says the Rams were the chippier bunch and talks about one of our DB's hitting one of their receivers too hard. Ignores the fact that one of the fights was the result of a Cowboy DB taking a shot at BQuick who was wearing a "do not hit" cap...

Also you can watch the Rams Oline vs the Cowboys Dline 1v1 drill in the second half of this video.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/video/2015/08/17/training-camp-live-cowboys-vs-rams-day-1

It's not as nearly as one sided as he makes it sound. The people who got routinely beat were back-ups or Barnes/Jones. All the other starters fared much better.

LOL at the start of the linemen drills. " Havenstein out of Iowa, good job, you know your college draft guys"

Some of the tweets on the Rams/Cowboys camp thread were obviously pro Cowboy tweets.

It doesn't matter. Any Gnus is good Gnus

anode8

Professional lurker, occasional poster.
Name
Ron

iced

love how they whine about Trumain hitting randle yet no mention of them hitting Quick, whom is supposed to remain untouched

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
During the first competitive period, the Rams linebackers faced off against the Cowboys running backs and tight ends. I can say definitively that St. Louis doesn't have a single linebacker who can cover any of the Cowboys RBs or TE's
[av]http://www.clinteastwood.net/realmediafiles/soundclips/opinions.mp3[/av]

Isiah58

UDFA
I sat in the bleachers with two Cowboy fans, where the Rams' O was going against the Dallas D. These drills are completely weighted against the Defense, as there is no hitting the QB and in 7 on 7s there is no rush. My two Cowboy friends were saying the whole time that they are not going to be stopping anyone all year and it was going to be a long season for them. I knew anyone watching the other field would think the same thing. I would say the Rams' QBs completed about 80% of their passes and some for long gains. You can't take much from watching one side of the field where the playing field is so slanted toward the offense.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You knew it was going to be ridiculous, when he blamed Rams fans for there being clouds.

It'
No mention of the Tavon TD catch thrown by Foles. This is laughable.

Right! I don't want ta jinx it. But I want to you to know, " I'm so secretly stoked on Tavon now. Wide Receivers? 3rd year is the charm! "

How do I envision IT? Release the Kraken... Fuck that! Release Tavon Austin upon an un-expecting public!

I pray to Mr. Jones ,

"Oh patron saint of Rams everywhere! Creator of "The Sack" Deacon Jones , would you possess T-Austin and force ESPN and the NFL Network to overuse 'Tavon Austin' and 'Barry Sanders' in compound sentences?"... :LOL:

Last edited: