Couple of new mocks from dudes at CBS Sports

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
cbs_sports_logo.png

Rob Rang
The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfld ... ut-RobRang

SKP4y.png

ISPMB.png

By Dane Brugler
NFLDraftScout.com Analyst
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfld ... aneBrugler

gHnn6.png

bah5b.png

iced

please pass on Lane johnson at 16.. no projects in the first round

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
iced said:
I know, right?
"The potential is off the charts."

pg2_a_jsmith_200.jpg
nfl_ap_fonobun1_200.jpg

I think we're all a little hesitant to draft on potential anymore.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'd take Rob Rangs draft and love it.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
X said:
iced said:
I know, right?

pg2_a_jsmith_200.jpg
nfl_ap_fonobun1_200.jpg

Lol I thought of Jason Smith too when I read Lane Johnson, but to be fair, I think JS would have 'gotten it' if not for his concussions.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I don't like the first draft much. DeCastro was a much safer prospect than Warmack. Look what happened in his first year. Besides, guards tend to take a long time to mature and develop. And there's no way I take Ertz that high, even if Eifert is off the board.

I absolutely loathe that second draft. Lane Johnson is a second round prospect that shouldn't be anywhere near the sixteenth overall pick. I'd rather take Warmack. Worse still, the twenty-second overall pick is Eric Reid, a borderline second/third round strong safety prospect whose coverage abilities are currently worse than Craig Dahl's. No, no, no, a million times no to that draft.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Memento said:
I don't like the first draft much. DeCastro was a much safer prospect than Warmack. Look what happened in his first year. Besides, guards tend to take a long time to mature and develop. And there's no way I take Ertz that high, even if Eifert is off the board.

I absolutely loathe that second draft. Lane Johnson is a second round prospect that shouldn't be anywhere near the sixteenth overall pick. I'd rather take Warmack. Worse still, the twenty-second overall pick is Eric Reid, a borderline second/third round strong safety prospect whose coverage abilities are currently worse than Craig Dahl's. No, no, no, a million times no to that draft.

Tell us how you REALLY feel...

:lol:

This is the time of year I'm glad to have some of you draft guys around here.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Memento said:

I don't know how DeCastro was a safer prospect than Warmack...and he got hurt. If you're going to shy away from players because they MIGHT get hurt, you might as well just not draft anyone. And no, Guards don't generally take a long time to mature and develop. They are one of the quickest developing positions and one of the easiest to plug and play. As for Warmack vs. DeCastro, Warmack is both safer and better imo. While DDC was better at pulling and a better overall athlete, Warmack is far more powerful, has more refined technique and is a better pass blocker due to his anchor and his ability to both "punch" and "grab" effectively.

As for Eifert, no idea why people love the kid so much. He's an amazing athlete and a great receiving talent but in my book, Ertz is easily the better talent at TE. Eifert is not physical, is very weak for his size and cannot block effectively. Eifert is basically a receiver in a TE's body...in both the good ways and the bad ways(reminds me of Greg Olsen). Ertz, on the other hand, has impressive fluidity and movement skills for a guy his size but doesn't sacrifice power or blocking ability. His blocking needs refinement but he's very strong and capable of washing his man out while blocking. He can block inline or split out at WR. I just wish he'd be a bit more physical when running routes. Needs to use his strength better as a receiver.

Finally, Lane Johnson...he's actually a guy that I really like. Some will have Jason Smith come to mind but I think that's a mistake. Lane has that same sort of attitude that Harvey Dahl has that we all love...Smith lacked. Johnson is mean and he's an enforcer on the field. He plays through the whistle and finishes his blocks. On top of that, he offers positional versatility as he can play both LT and RT. Watching his game, he needs a lot of work on his technique but that's to be expected with a guy who only has 2 years of OT experience. However, his length, athleticism, feet, balance and range are all exactly what you're looking for in a dominant LT. The guy has long arms, powerful hands and rarely is on the ground. He's also an impressive drive blocker considering he needs to add some bulk and functional strength to his frame...which is not close to maxed out. Some might think of Jason Smith but I'll throw you out another name...Duane Brown. He was a guy who only had 2 years of OT experience at VT...1 year at RT and 1 year at LT like Lane Johnson. Brown was a guy I REALLY liked as a sleeper LT prospect back in 2008. Many people had him pegged as a 3rd rounder at the end of the season but he ended up rising up boards and was selected in the late 1st round by the Texans. He struggled in his rookie year but since then has developed into arguably the NFL's best LT. He was named to the NFL All Pro team in both 2011 and 2012.

Let Boudreau work with Lane Johnson and you could see a similar thing happen. I have a lot of trust in Boudreau. Johnson needs technical refinement but in terms of attitude, physical skill-set and motor...everything is there for him to develop into an elite player. Just needs NFL coaching and some time in a NFL S&C program as he has the frame to carry 315 to 320 pounds.

If that kid ends up the in right situation, he's going to be great...which is why I have had him going to the Rams in my last few Rams mocks.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
X said:
iced said:
I know, right?

pg2_a_jsmith_200.jpg
nfl_ap_fonobun1_200.jpg

Smith popped into my head too when I thought about lane Johnson. He was a above average LT in college and didn't face any elite pass rushers. He may have a high ceiling but I too will pass.

I'm on the Warmack bandwagon so I love that pick. Still not sold on any of the TEs being first round worthy. Reid certainly has the size and speed to be a really good NFL safety but his production really fell off when he lost Claiborne and honey badger. Has to make anyone hesitant

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'm still saying Vaccaro at 16, and Eifert at 22.

16 is about right for a good Safety, and 22 works for me at TE. Unless there's another pretty cant miss type guy there, I say pull the trigger.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
jrry32 said:
Memento said:

I don't know how DeCastro was a safer prospect than Warmack...and he got hurt. If you're going to shy away from players because they MIGHT get hurt, you might as well just not draft anyone. And no, Guards don't generally take a long time to mature and develop. They are one of the quickest developing positions and one of the easiest to plug and play. As for Warmack vs. DeCastro, Warmack is both safer and better imo. While DDC was better at pulling and a better overall athlete, Warmack is far more powerful, has more refined technique and is a better pass blocker due to his anchor and his ability to both "punch" and "grab" effectively.

As for Eifert, no idea why people love the kid so much. He's an amazing athlete and a great receiving talent but in my book, Ertz is easily the better talent at TE. Eifert is not physical, is very weak for his size and cannot block effectively. Eifert is basically a receiver in a TE's body...in both the good ways and the bad ways(reminds me of Greg Olsen). Ertz, on the other hand, has impressive fluidity and movement skills for a guy his size but doesn't sacrifice power or blocking ability. His blocking needs refinement but he's very strong and capable of washing his man out while blocking. He can block inline or split out at WR. I just wish he'd be a bit more physical when running routes. Needs to use his strength better as a receiver.

Finally, Lane Johnson...he's actually a guy that I really like. Some will have Jason Smith come to mind but I think that's a mistake. Lane has that same sort of attitude that Harvey Dahl has that we all love...Smith lacked. Johnson is mean and he's an enforcer on the field. He plays through the whistle and finishes his blocks. On top of that, he offers positional versatility as he can play both LT and RT. Watching his game, he needs a lot of work on his technique but that's to be expected with a guy who only has 2 years of OT experience. However, his length, athleticism, feet, balance and range are all exactly what you're looking for in a dominant LT. The guy has long arms, powerful hands and rarely is on the ground. He's also an impressive drive blocker considering he needs to add some bulk and functional strength to his frame...which is not close to maxed out. Some might think of Jason Smith but I'll throw you out another name...Duane Brown. He was a guy who only had 2 years of OT experience at VT...1 year at RT and 1 year at LT like Lane Johnson. Brown was a guy I REALLY liked as a sleeper LT prospect back in 2008. Many people had him pegged as a 3rd rounder at the end of the season but he ended up rising up boards and was selected in the late 1st round by the Texans. He struggled in his rookie year but since then has developed into arguably the NFL's best LT. He was named to the NFL All Pro team in both 2011 and 2012.

Let Boudreau work with Lane Johnson and you could see a similar thing happen. I have a lot of trust in Boudreau. Johnson needs technical refinement but in terms of attitude, physical skill-set and motor...everything is there for him to develop into an elite player. Just needs NFL coaching and some time in a NFL S&C program as he has the frame to carry 315 to 320 pounds.

If that kid ends up the in right situation, he's going to be great...which is why I have had him going to the Rams in my last few Rams mocks.

Good stuff.

Regarding the TE's, to be fair, Eifert and Ertz are neck and neck by most of the name gurus.

I think Warmack is picked before 16, but like DeCastro he might tumble down because of his position.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
jrry32 said:
Memento said:

Good to see you on this board jrry32 :nice:

fearsomefour

Legend
I think the Rams have to go OLB with that first pick. Fisher has never drafted (Im pretty sure) an Olineman in the first round. Outside of getting a guy that is a sure lock at LT at 16, which wont happen (moving Saffold to RT) I dont see it changing this year. The team has a few less needs this year than last. In my opinion the two biggest are at OLB and S. That is where I see the two first round picks going. In fact I would not be surprised if we dont see the Rams draft a offensive player until the 3rd or 4th round.

I dont get the talk about drafting a TE high in this years draft. Kendricks is emerging and getting better. The last third of the season he was very solid (and improving) as a blocker. I could see the kid from Standford getting picked up possibly if he is the best on the Rams board at 21, but, I think Fisher is comfortable with Kendricks as his #1 TE.

The Rams D made huge strides this year. I think Fisher will look to land a couple of starters that will have an immediate impact and improve overall depth at LB, DT and DE (heres to hoping Hayes comes back at DE) in this years draft.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
fearsomefour said:
I think the Rams have to go OLB with that first pick. Fisher has never drafted (Im pretty sure) an Olineman in the first round. Outside of getting a guy that is a sure lock at LT at 16, which wont happen (moving Saffold to RT) I dont see it changing this year. The team has a few less needs this year than last. In my opinion the two biggest are at OLB and S. That is where I see the two first round picks going. In fact I would not be surprised if we dont see the Rams draft a offensive player until the 3rd or 4th round.

I dont get the talk about drafting a TE high in this years draft. Kendricks is emerging and getting better. The last third of the season he was very solid (and improving) as a blocker. I could see the kid from Standford getting picked up possibly if he is the best on the Rams board at 21, but, I think Fisher is comfortable with Kendricks as his #1 TE.

The Rams D made huge strides this year. I think Fisher will look to land a couple of starters that will have an immediate impact and improve overall depth at LB, DT and DE (heres to hoping Hayes comes back at DE) in this years draft.
You have to wonder how much of a premium Fisher puts on outside linebackers as well. I agree that a thumper who can roam would be a welcome addition though. I guess it all depends on how Sammy Brown and Jabara are progressing too.

As for TE, I'd like to see us grab one high and PAIR him with Kendricks. With the proliferation of 2-TE sets, Kendricks could become much better with another pass catcher on the other side and vice-versa. It would also give Bradford two sweet targets in the middle of the field + a viable checkdown option. I just don't know if that's in Schotty's wheelhouse.

Or if Schotty is even staying in the house.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
X said:
As for TE, I'd like to see us grab one high and PAIR him with Kendricks. With the proliferation of 2-TE sets, Kendricks could become much better with another pass catcher on the other side and vice-versa. It would also give Bradford two sweet targets in the middle of the field + a viable checkdown option. I just don't know if that's in Schotty's wheelhouse.

Or if Schotty is even staying in the house.

I am in total agreement as far as adding another big, pass catching TE. Look at what a dominant TE (or 2) can do for an offense when utilized correctly. Obviously everyone thinks of the big 2 in NE, but look at Graham in NO, Finley in GB, Gonzales in ATL, Davis in SF, and the list goes on. You could make the argument that every 2012 playoff team has, at the very least an established, productive TE on the roster. Those guys create matchup nightmares for defenses. Get it done.

BTW, its great to see all these new members contributing on here. Some really good info and interesting opinions lately!! :cheers:

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Memento said:

Haven't heard much of Ertz, but sounds a lot like guys that could be picked up off the scrap heap a'la Billy Bajema. Who drafts a big blocking TE in the first round? And yeah, Johnson? NEXT! I do like Warmack though, to hold DeCastro's freak injury over his head seems a bit unfair, I thought he'd make a good pick for this team at the time, though I definitely won't bitch about ending up with Brockers.

fearsomefour

Legend
As long as the Rams add a starter at 16 and a guy that at least contributes as 21 I will be happy. OLB, S, G, TE 3 of these four spots could be addressed with the 1st round picks and the 2nd rounder. I think if they get one of the top 3 or 4 prospects at any 3 of those positions I will be happy.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
One could argue Tony Gonzales is every bit the weapon that Roddy White and Julio Jones are.

If these TE's are legit, they are every bit the weapon finding a #1 could do for this offense.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Warner4Prez said:
Memento said:

Haven't heard much of Ertz, but sounds a lot like guys that could be picked up off the scrap heap a'la Billy Bajema. Who drafts a big blocking TE in the first round? And yeah, Johnson? NEXT! I do like Warmack though, to hold DeCastro's freak injury over his head seems a bit unfair, I thought he'd make a good pick for this team at the time, though I definitely won't bitch about ending up with Brockers.

Ertz is to Billy Bajema as Kellen Clemens is to Kurt Warner. Ertz is a 6'6" 250+ pound TE with 4.5 to 4.6 speed and great agility for his size. This isn't a big blocking TE. This is a big, athletic TE who can block. Ertz had nearly double the yards of the next leading receiver on the Stanford football team. He led Stanford in receptions, yards and receiving TDs with 69 catches, 898 yards and 6 TDs.

Here are a couple of highlights from the season in big games:
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8800737
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8647316