Countdown to Camp: Outside linebackers should be a strength for L.A. in 2019

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
“Dante Fowler. I know we signed him back on a one-year, we might need to go ahead and get him again,” Gurley said. “He’s been a new animal. He’s been getting to the ball as fast as Aaron Donald, so that tells you a lot about him.”

Yeah if Fowler can finally live up to his talent our edge rush will be among the best in the league because we also have Matthews. Wade's defense with that edge threat is a fearsome thing, excited to see how this plays out. (y)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The prob is 5T is loaded. If Lawler starts getting looks there it means he's not gonna make the cut.
True
Wade seems to prefer to keep additional OLB'er/DE's on his designated defensive roster spots...he can't help himself he loves pass rushers & of the pass rushers he loves his edge players. He uses these ER's all over his front seven. You know we will see a ton of Ebukam/Fowler/Mathews on the field for defensive snaps. Wade runs the lightest the smallest DL front in the NFL.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
True
Wade seems to prefer to keep additional OLB'er/DE's on his designated defensive roster spots...he can't help himself he loves pass rushers & of the pass rushers he loves his edge players. He uses these ER's all over his front seven. You know we will see a ton of Ebukam/Fowler/Mathews on the field for defensive snaps. Wade runs the lightest the smallest DL front in the NFL.

Yeah and with them running some two DL fronts thus far in camp which I assume is in preparation for more college offenses in the NFL (like the Cards) who knows what they're thinking in terms of that depth chart.

Either way there is going to be a lot of competition with that OLB group in the bottom of the roster. There is quite a bit of talent. May the best players win.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Wut's going on w/ Obo?? the foot surgery happened in May of 2018... is it still bothering him?
Really need to see what we have in him.
But... really excited about Fowler - looks like he worked himself into OLB shape vs. the 4-3 DE shape he was in when we brought him in last season. This may be the first real opportunity to realize his promise when he was drafted.

nighttrain

Legend
Wut's going on w/ Obo?? the foot surgery happened in May of 2018... is it still bothering him?
Really need to see what we have in him.
But... really excited about Fowler - looks like he worked himself into OLB shape vs. the 4-3 DE shape he was in when we brought him in last season. This may be the first real opportunity to realize his promise when he was drafted.
now it's his hammy
train

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
now it's his hammy
train
It appears early that Wade has three healthy starting Edge Rushers to go into two posts currently{Fowler/ Matthews/ Ebukam}.

Somewhat of a surprise is reading & now seeing after yesterdays filmed practices with the Chargers of Morgan Fox getting snaps @ both ER & 5 tech DE post. Fox thus far has had a very good camp he can apply pressure from both posts. I would place Fox as the #4 ER due to the fact he is in his 4th Rams Training Camp has been on the Rams master roster (53) since 2016. Fox played in 20 NFL games & has started. I would not be surprised to see Fox lining up @ one of the two DL posts in Wade 2-4-5 defenses. This season I expect Fox to have an impact in these multiple type defenses in applying intense pressure on opponents QB's.

I see all four of the above experienced ER's making this team. All fighting for snaps & playing time. Is there really room or real need for more ? Most likely one of the remaining ER/OLB's will catch on the 53 player roster.

Snead delivered 3 ER's thru the 2018 draft into Wade hands. All 3 were day 3 draft selections. Justin Lawler was active for all 19 gms. JL saw action on defense & special teams. His best post was @ the strong side OLB'er position. Trevon Young was only active for 2 gms & was waived once during the 2018 season. Young was still not fully healthy in 2019 after experiencing serious medical issues in college. He does have some skills as a pass rusher & good size & length.

Snead also brought in former Titan/Redskin who entered the NFL in 2016 Josh Carraway & rookie Landis Durham.

Said the above to paint the picture of what Og Okoronwko is now facing @ this time. How many ER's is Wade going to keep? Okoronwko continues to miss time with injury. The other 4 continue to add very valuable practice time & game experience while OG remains out of the sun & elements resting on the training table in the air conditioning.:cautious::unsure::sadwalk:.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
It appears early that Wade has three healthy starting Edge Rushers to go into two posts currently{Fowler/ Matthews/ Ebukam}.

Somewhat of a surprise is reading & now seeing after yesterdays filmed practices with the Chargers of Morgan Fox getting snaps @ both ER & 5 tech DE post. Fox thus far has had a very good camp he can apply pressure from both posts. I would place Fox as the #4 ER due to the fact he is in his 4th Rams Training Camp has been on the Rams master roster (53) since 2016. Fox played in 20 NFL games & has started. I would not be surprised to see Fox lining up @ one of the two DL posts in Wade 2-4-5 defenses. This season I expect Fox to have an impact in these multiple type defenses in applying intense pressure on opponents QB's.

I see all four of the above experienced ER's making this team. All fighting for snaps & playing time. Is there really room or real need for more ? Most likely one of the remaining ER/OLB's will catch on the 53 player roster.

Snead delivered 3 ER's thru the 2018 draft into Wade hands. All 3 were day 3 draft selections. Justin Lawler was active for all 19 gms. JL saw action on defense & special teams. His best post was @ the strong side OLB'er position. Trevon Young was only active for 2 gms & was waived once during the 2019 season. Young was still not fully healthy in 2019 after experiencing serious medical issues in college. He does have some skills as a pass rusher & good size & length.

Snead also brought in former Titan/Redskin who entered the NFL in 2016 Josh Carraway & rookie Landis Durham.

Said the above to paint the picture of what Og Okoronwko is now facing @ this time. How many ER's is Wade going to keep? Okoronwko continues to miss time with injury. The other 4 continue to add very valuable practice time & game experience while OG remains out of the sun & elements resting on the training table in the air conditioning.:cautious::unsure::sadwalk:.

I wouldn't be too surprised if OgOk is pupped, then IR'd for 2019. Keep him around at least until Fowler signs long term without him counting against the roster. He's only one notch up from minimum wage, so he still might make reasonable insurance for going forward. jmo.