Countdown to Camp: Offensive Line/Simmons

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Countdown to Camp: Offensive Line
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Countdown-to-Camp-Offensive-Line/00913724-9517-4259-b597-713245b704c7

In today’s penultimate edition of Countdown to Camp, team insider Myles Simmons takes a look at the Rams’ offensive linemen. Be sure to send in your question about tomorrow’s final position group, quarterbacks, either in the comments or @MylesASimmons on Twitter.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Newcomers: Garrett Reynolds, Rob Havenstein, Jamon Brown, Andrew Donnall, Cody Wichmann, Isaiah Battle, David Wang, Darrell Williams

One of the biggest questions surrounding the offseason has been who will line up on the offensive front when the Rams take the field against the Seahawks on Sept. 13. With training camp now just two days away, it won’t be long until there are some definitive answers.

Currently, we know that barring injury, both Greg Robinson and Rodger Saffold will be two starters on the offensive line. Robinson, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2014 draft, started 12 games in his rookie season, including 10 at left tackle. And while he’s only entering his sixth season, Saffold is the veteran leader of the group.

At center, St. Louis will begin camp with a three-way competition for the starting role between Tim Barnes, Barrett Jones, and Demetrius Rhaney. Of the three, Barnes may have a slight edge, given he manned the position on the Rams’ offense for a few weeks late in the 2013 season.

Two rookies will vie to start at right guard and right tackle: Rob Havenstein and Jamon Brown. St. Louis drafted Havenstein out of Wisconsin in the draft’s second round, and Brown, a Louisville product, in the third.

As evidenced by the long list of newcomers, the Rams stockpiled their offensive line over the course of the offseason. They signed veteran Garrett Reynolds -- nephew of former Ram Jack “Hacksaw” Reynolds -- as an unrestricted free agent. Reynolds most recently played for Detroit, starting four games in 2014. The club also drafted two additional linemen in May, selecting Andrew Donnal in Round 4 and Cody Wichmann in Round 6.

But the club wasn’t done, making recent headlines by picking up former Clemson tackle Isaiah Battle in the fifth round of the supplemental draft. The selection means the Rams have effectively already used their fifth-round pick for the draft next spring.

Rounding out the position group, Brandon Washington, Steven Baker, and Travis Bond are all back after spending at least portions of 2014 with St. Louis. And the team added rookies Darrell Williams and David Wang as undrafted free agents.

QUESTION OF THE DAY

In each of our Countdown to Camp posts, we’ll feature one of your Twitter questions on the position group. Today’s Q comes from @Paulo_FigariNFL.

@MylesASimmons with Cignetti as the new OC, should we expect scheme changes? If so could we see GRob back at LG and Saffold at LT?
— Paulo Figari (@Paulo_FigariNFL) July 29, 2015

Interesting two-part question, Paul. For the first, I’d say the answer is “kind of.” As offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti put it himself during OTAs, “It’s like buying a house. The foundation is there. You guys buy a house, what do you do? Let’s remodel a couple rooms. Really, that’s what we’ve done.”

So, to me, it sounds more like Cignetti and the offensive staff have tweaked the scheme as opposed to a full overhaul. The new also OC gave plenty of credit to his predecessor, Brian Schottenheimer, for building the offense’s foundation, which is a power-run scheme. And based on how the team picked up a bevy of “maulers” for the O-line, as well as Jeff Fisher’s history as a head coach, I can’t say I would expect that philosophy to change.

Now as for Robinson and Saffold, I just don’t see that shift happening. Fisher has said many times that he sees Robinson as the left tackle of the present and future for the Rams. And so no matter what tweaks the coaches have planned for the offense, moving Robinson over to guard so that Saffold can play tackle doesn’t seem like a change the club would make.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
But the club wasn’t done, making recent headlines by picking up former Clemson tackle Isaiah Battle in the fifth round of the supplemental draft. The selection means the Rams have effectively already used their fifth-round pick for the draft next spring.
During a fit of insomnia, I happened to switch on the telly, and spy Battle vs FSU....Man he looked terrible....Cam Erving was getting killed by Vic Beasley too....Just very unimpressive...no where near as physical as some of the other drafted OL's appear....Not worried yet, but was surprised:eek:....He did seem athletic, but was contact/collision averse...avoided putting his helmet & pads in there at all costs...:sick::(:oops::notsure:

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I would not be surprised to see Barnes at center and Jones at guard so that we really only start one rookie.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I would not be surprised to see Barnes at center and Jones at guard so that we really only start one rookie.
I like the Jones has the flexibility, but I don't know that they've worked him anywhere other than Center since he came to the team. If he wins a spot anywhere on the line though, I'm a happy camper.

Really pulling for that kid. It's got to be extremely trying to be one of the best collegiate players at that position in a long long time, only to go pro and miss your first two years.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I'd say that he has to nail down a starting position this year or its over for him.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Hopefully they establish who the starters will be so they can build some chemistry together. One thing is clear were going to be very young on the o-line so bumps on road are inevitable.So the more time they spend together building that chemistry the better chance for all these road graders we have to succeed.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Call me crazy or at least overly optimistic but for some reason I feel pretty good about the Rams offensive line! While, I understand it will probably take them some time to get their chemistry together I do think they will come together during the season and become a very good line for the Rams for years to come (Certainly, much better than the line they have had the past couple of seasons!)!