Count Down - Jersey #40!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Only Two players have ever warn this Jersey number for the Rams!

The Last # 40 was DB/ K - Jack Morris ( 1958-60)

Jack_Morris.jpg
He played 3 seasons for us, But no real special memories. Sorry Jack.

BUT! Our 1st, and BEST # 40 " Is a whole different Ball of wax!" ( or maybe I should say Wacks!:LOL::D)

At #40 HB/WR - Elroy 'Crazy-Legs' Hirsch: (1945-1957)

Hirsch7.jpg

He was originally Drafted by th Cleveland Rams
Hirsch12.jpg

He Played 12 Season - 127 games for us
Hirsch13.jpg
Hirsch9.jpg

He had some really good receiving stats for that Era, 387 for 7029 yards an average of 18.2 and 60 TD's!

Hirsch1.jpg

Hirsch2.jpg

He did also rush 207 times for 687 yards, an average of 3.3 and 3 TD's

Hirsch6.jpg

He Played in 6 play-off games, and had 16 rec. for 209 Yrds. a 13.1 aver. and 1 TD
Hirsch4.jpg

He also Passed a bit. He went 12/22/126 Yrds. and 1 TD
He had a 54.5 comp. rate
Bob_Carey_Hirsch_Van_Brocklin.jpg

Here he's Pictured with Van Brocklin (right) and Carey
Hirsch14.jpg

He went to 3 Pro-Bowls and is a 2 time All Pro
Hirsch10.jpg

And of course he went into the Hall of Fame in 1968
Hirsch11.jpg
Little Known fact, He served in the Marine Corps! ( I had to throw that in because I was a Marine too!)

That's it for me! Comments, other photos, gifs, memories!!?!
GO RAMS!!
addon.jpg

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
I was in Madison, Wisconsin for a wedding recently so I wandered over to Camp Randall stadium to check it out. Fourth oldest college stadium, built in 1917, with an impressive wall of fame which included Hirsch. Turns out he only played for the Badgers one year before he transferred to Michigan for an Officers training program which led him to the Marines. Legend...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What! No Love for this thread today!?!
No Comments!?
No Memories!?
" I guess your all just Too young to remember Crazy-Legs! Or did I just say everything that needed to be said!?:ROFLMAO::D

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I was in Madison, Wisconsin for a wedding recently so I wandered over to Camp Randall stadium to check it out. Fourth oldest college stadium, built in 1917, with an impressive wall of fame which included Hirsch. Turns out he only played for the Badgers one year before he transferred to Michigan for an Officers training program which led him to the Marines. Legend...
I guess I made my comment Above a moment too soon!!:LOL: Thanks for the Info Poway!

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Other interesting facts about Crazylegs:

-He lettered in baseball, basketball, football and track at Michigan, all in the same year. Only athlete to do it.
-Hirsch was the first full-time flanker, his original position was half-back.

- He was the first guy to wear a molded plastic helmet, not leather.
- He was the long time athletic director at the University of Wisconsin.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I had forgotten Hirsch was our GM for a time.

So was Pete Rozelle from 57-59 and Hirsch took over for him and hired his good friend Bob Waterfield as Head Coach. The combination did not share the same success they did as players and eventually Hirsch became the Athletic Director of Wisconsin from 69-87 and catapulted that athletic program into the upper echelon of the big ten conference.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
So was Pete Rozelle from 57-59 and Hirsch took over for him and hired his good friend Bob Waterfield as Head Coach. The combination did not share the same success they did as players and eventually Hirsch became the Athletic Director of Wisconsin from 69-87 and catapulted that athletic program into the upper echelon of the big ten conference.
Thanks for the GREAT Historical point, den-the-coach! After all these years I just forgot about these points!!

I'll have to go back to college for some refresher courses in History!(y) My Favorite subject, by the way!!:D

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I have some major corrections and additions on some Hirsch stats today!
But first let me give you the complete stats on DB/Licker Jack Morris!
Jack_Morris.jpg

Morris had 8 FGA's and 3 FGM's and 15 XPA's and 15 XPM's. He also had 6 Int's for 152 Yds. and 1 TD. w/ a log of 44 Yds. and 1 FR / 8 PR's for 9 Yds. and 2 KR's for 37 Yds. w/ a long of 23 Yds. / a 18.5 aver.

Now, I was looking at the wrong stats in posting 'Crazy-Legs' work! A lot of those here Career stats, BUT!! His first couple of years( 1946 & 1948) where spent w/ the ' Chicago Rockets ' of the AAFC!
So here are the Corrected Rams Stats!! With More photos!!
* HB/WR - Elroy Crazy-Legs Hirsch -1949-1957
Hirsch1x.jpg
In his 9 seasons with the Rams he played 103 games! And he had 343 Rec. for 6299 Yds. / a 18.4 aver. w/ 53 TD's and a long of 91 Yds.
Hirsch2x.jpg
He also had 74 Rush Att's for 317 Yds. and 1 TD. w/ a long of 51 Yds. / an average of 4.3YPA. He also ha 7 Fumbles.

Hirsch3x.jpg

" That's a total of 6616 Yds. from scrimmage!

Hirsch4x.jpg

" He sure Looks Young in this Photo!"
Hirsch5x.jpg
He had some pretty good stats on Defense too!
He had 7 Int's for 95 Yds. w/ a long of 32 Yds. and 2 FR's. In the Playoff's on "D" , In his 6 Playoff games, he had 2 Int's for 10 Yds.

Hirsch6x.jpg
Just to give you an idea of how he wound up in the Hall of Fame, and got his Jersey number RETIRED, here are some of his achievement's and Awards:
* 3 time Pro Bowler
* 2 Time All Pro
* 4 Seasons Top 10 in Receptions
* 5 Seasons Top 10 in TD's
* 7 Season Top 10 in Receiving Yds.
The List goes on!
One more thing, to correct my previous inaccurate Reporting! All of Hirsch's Passing stats where with the " Chicago Rockets"!

I hope I have redeemed myself!!

GO RAMS!!
addon.jpg

Last edited:

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
One of our retired numbers today. "Crazy legs" #40.

What! No Love for this thread today!?!
No Comments!?
No Memories!?
" I guess your all just Too young to remember Crazy-Legs! Or did I just say everything that needed to be said!?:ROFLMAO::D
Showing some love for your thread today, Dave. Thanks, buddy.

:cheers: