Could the Rams rotate more at wide receiver in 2019?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.therams.com/news/could-the-rams-rotate-more-at-wide-receiver-in-2019

Could the Rams rotate more at wide receiver in 2019?

When Sean McVay took over as head coach in 2017, it took a few weeks for the team to really find its groove offensively. But once the Rams figured out that the best way to score efficiently was to stick in 11 personnel — one running back, one tight end, and three wide receivers — the club rarely deviated from that group.

As NFL Next Gen stats pointed out last week, the Rams have — by far — used the fewest personnel groupings over the last two years with five. The Chiefs are No. 31 on the list with 12.

View: https://twitter.com/nextgenstats/status/1143934172584525824?s=21

And that meant most of the offensive starters were on the field for the vast majority of snaps. That was especially true in the early going of the 2018 season, when the offensive substitutions were mainly limited to Gerald Everett at tight end for certain known-passing situations, and Malcolm Brown at running back on the rare occasions Todd Gurley got a blow.

That meant starters at wideout Robert Woods, Brandin Cooks, and Cooper Kupp were also on the field for nearly 100 percent of the offensive snaps.

Those numbers changed a bit after Kupp went down with a season-ending ACL tear, particularly in the last few weeks of the season as the Rams employed more 12 personnel — one running back, two tight ends, and two wide receivers.

But if there was a silver lining in Kupp’s injury, it was that wide receiver Josh Reynolds got to see the field as a full-time starter down the stretch and all throughout the postseason. He caught 29 passes for 402 yards with five touchdowns in the regular season, and made eight receptions for 121 yards in the playoffs — displaying he has the ability to be a full-time starter.

Earlier in the offseason, McVay said part of the reason the club wanted to draft running back Darrell Henderson was to get another explosive playmaker in the building that could also allow some of the club’s offensive skill players the luxury of not having to play almost every single snap.

But with the club also anticipating having a healthy Kupp in Week 1, the Rams could have a surplus of weapons. And that’s a positive problem to have according to passing game coordinator Shane Waldron, who said he can see a scenario where Los Angeles rotates its wide receivers more in 2019.

“Sure, it’s great to have all those guys back and I don’t think Jared [Goff] would ever complain about having too many options,” Waldron said. “So it’d just be a balancing act when that time comes and home how to utilize each guy and maximize their skillset when that time comes. And that really goes for all the positions, because a lot of guys have had a great offseason and guys have continued to improve when they were asked in different areas.”

Exactly how Los Angeles could rotate its wideouts remains to be seen. But it will certainly be one factor to monitor throughout training camp and in Los Angeles’ joint practices.

Ram65

Legend
The obvious move would be to give Kupp more rest early in the season by giving Reynolds more snap. It's up to McVay to decide how he wants to divide the personnel groupings. We don't know what he is thinking. He seems to have a lot more options with Everett ready to step up and Henderson needing to get snaps.

The Rams ran an average of 66.5 plays per game last year up from 62.6 in 2017. They really didn't run the 2 TE sets much last year. I think one game they did then went back to the 3 WR sets. I would like to see Everett get used more as the move TE in the 2 TE sets more. Rams can also run with him blocking along with Higbee. I would like to see Henderson on the field with Gurley some but, not a lot as one would have to be a blocker. Some Jet Sweeps, Smoke Screens and some down field routes to keep the defense honest. Henderson would add another dimension on those sweeps which were successful with Woods, Cooks, Kupp and Reynolds.

McVay could use different personnel groups depending on opponents. It would give defenses other things to have to be ready for. Having 6-10 plays a game with 12 and 21 Personnel each would make defenses game plan more and give some rest to the WRs a little. This could be the next step in the evolution of the McVay offense.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/plays-per-game

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I think Hodge could do well in his second year giving Kupp some rest when needed. Still waiting to see Micheal Thomas on the field other than special teams. He was the talk of training camp last season before his injury, we could always use another deep threat besides Cook.
Someone posted a vid of some small school reciever we picked up with crazy good catching ability. Big dude for a WR as well, maybe potential TE?

oldnotdead

Legend
I don't think that McVay is going to rotate his WR's more this year. Why would he? They have one of the top if not the best 3 WR's as a trio in the NFL. Reynolds and Hodge are good players but both are dropoffs from Kupp, that much was clear last year. Hodge might not even make this roster as he could get stiff competition from one or two of the new guys.

What I've been saying is that the drafting of Henderson changes the mix. I can easily see him on the field at the same time as Gurley. With Henderson taking the slot receiver's position then running the jet sweep motion, the defense will have a whole new level of threat to deal with. Now you have a very fast capable RB as the possible recipient of a handoff, not a WR. The defense will have to react in ways they wouldn't with a WR. They probably will be forced into zone coverage, advantage Woods, Cooks and Everett in the passing game. Advantage Gurley because it's going to affect the LB's. They can't get that quick step up into the A gaps, or Gurley can sneak out into the flats on the opposite side.

If teams defend that jet sweep motion the way they have been and it's handed off of Henderson he's a threat to take it to the house. If they simply use a two RB set it will change things tremendously. McVay will have several different play options off that same look. Image trying to defend both Gurley and Henderson out of the backfield? Now add in Woods, Cooks and Everett. This is what I meant that Henderson expands the offense in ways they couldn't before.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When Sean McVay took over as head coach in 2017, it took a few weeks for the team to really find its groove offensively
I Couldn’t really take the article seriously after reading that.

The 2017 Rams scored 142 points in their first 4 games (35.5 ppg) which was only 80 points less than the entire 2016 season

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The key element in the "rotation of receivers" is whether we're better with Reynolds in there for one of those guys. I think not. But it would be cool if JRey forced McVay's hand and made that happen.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Reynolds is no Kupp. But he was serviceable. I can see him getting more snaps in a rotation if McVay feels someone needs a breather.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Reynolds is no Kupp. But he was serviceable. I can see him getting more snaps in a rotation if McVay feels someone needs a breather.

And after the Super Bowl, it wouldn't surprise me if they want more looks - including a rare 4 WR set, with no RBs (though maybe an occasional WR sweep)

oldnotdead

Legend
McVay's offense isn't a spread offense. He doesn't have the QB for it. With no RB the defensive front 7 will just pin their ears back and come after Goff.

Don't forget both Gurley and Henderson are good receivers in their own right. Gurley's head wasn't right last year when he dropped those easy passes. I don't see that as a trend but as an aberration. In their base set of 11 personnel they have 5 receivers (3 WRs, TE, RB) but the maintain the threat of a run to hold the LB's and slow the rush.

MauiRam

Rookie
If McVay sees a situational matchup that he can exploit better with another receiver, I’d bet on him giving it a shot. I think matchups will dictate which receivers will be on the field. The starting three (Cooks, Woods, & Kupp) will likely get the majority of snaps, but I look for Sean to up his game with new stuff – am really looking forward to it!

Side note:

If Nsimba Webster (wr qb, kr, pr) can make the final roster in some fashion, I’m sure McVay would conjure up some interesting “rotational” plays. Nsimba played QB in high school, and was a dual threat. Sure it was only high school, but nonetheless very impressive. At least the Rams are giving him a chance to show his stuff and maybe stick. Check him out on the video below ..

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiUho75Fn7Y

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Nah. I think the consistent personnel is part of the magic of the offense. No tipping.