Could the Rams move back to 4-3 in this draft?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Turducken

Starter
It's not an easy transition with established personnel, but seeing as we only have one lineman (AD) and one LB (E. Jones) from our starting SB defense, it's hard to come up with a better time if you are inclined to switch (I'm expecting 7 of our 11 picks to be on defense) .

Raheem Morris used the 4-3 before inheriting our (top 5) 3-4 from Staley and Wade Philips. We don't project as a top anything defense now, we have one superstar on D and he doesn't really come with scheme limitations. AD was drafted for a 4-3 defense under Fisher and has clearly excelled within both formats. Could this be the year we flip back?

Additional thought: none of our division opponents have the sort of veteran pocket QBs with the presnap capacity to diagnose and potentially carve up a 4-3, so it might be a more beneficial scheme in the near term to contain mobile qbs, plug the gaps and to rush the passer.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It's not an easy transition with established personnel, but seeing as we only have one lineman (AD) and one LB (E. Jones) from our starting SB defense, it's hard to come up with a better time if you are inclined to switch (I'm expecting 7 of our 11 picks to be on defense) .

Raheem Morris used the 4-3 before inheriting our (top 5) 3-4 from Staley and Wade Philips. We don't project as a top anything defense now, we have one superstar on D and he doesn't really come with scheme limitations. AD was drafted for a 4-3 defense under Fisher and has clearly excelled within both formats. Could this be the year we flip back?

Additional thought: none of our division opponents have the sort of veteran pocket QBs with the presnap capacity to diagnose and potentially carve up a 4-3, so it might be a more beneficial scheme in the near term to contain mobile qbs, plug the gaps and to rush the passer.
It does seem a good time to switch.

I don’t think there has been any hints of it, however, have there? Would there be a draft strategy reason to keep it hush?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
3-4 is the tougher front to gauge for a QB tbh. They can mix things up a bit better than the conventional 4 man front. You can get 5 with both coming, or randomize which side rushes depending on call. This is why it's a better base look, because stopping the pass is the key.

McVay chose that front for a reason I think so I don't see Morris' background or preferences changing that. It's an interesting thought though.

nighttrain

Legend
It does seem a good time to switch.

I don’t think there has been any hints of it, however, have there? Would there be a draft strategy reason to keep it hush?
Would there be a draft strategy reason to announce the change?
train

Turducken

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Would there be a draft strategy reason to announce the change?
train
I can see why you would want to project as much mystery as possible before the draft. It might also be a dynamic decision that depends upon how the draft unfolds or potential trade possibilities.

I started thinking about this after the Commodes announced that they weren't extending a 5th year option for Chase Young. Chase is a better fit for a 4-3 and maybe he could be acquired for a mid round pick. They would have to do that before the second round starts tomorrow.

Turducken

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
3-4 is the tougher front to gauge for a QB tbh. They can mix things up a bit better than the conventional 4 man front. You can get 5 with both coming, or randomize which side rushes depending on call. This is why it's a better base look, because stopping the pass is the key.

McVay chose that front for a reason I think so I don't see Morris' background or preferences changing that. It's an interesting thought though.
3-4 is definitely a harder look for a QB to grasp. Given the overall weakness of the QBs in our division (and the trend of the league moving to mobile QBs running RPO's) the vulnerabilities of the 4-3 may be a lesser concern. A big part of NFL success is seeing around the corner to anticipate scheme advantages in future seasons.

oldnotdead

Legend
Raheem is wedded to his Fangio combo front. He needs 3-4 DL to make it work. Raheem got rid of Gaines because of it. If Morris was going to revert to a 4-3 he would have kept Gaines and ditched Brown.

The problem is not just the scheme now, it's how it's played. A Fangio style DL is not an attacking front by definition, it's a read/react front that gives all the advantage to the offense to dictate. Which is why most teams like Detroit don't use it. If your defense is reading they will be caught flat-footed and by definition be at least a step slow to react. Why do you think the Rams have problems getting off the field defensively? It's also why so many of those first tackles are misses.

McVay obviously does not break down the film of his own defense. If he did it would be painfully obvious what the problem is. I think he does know on some level and his quick hiring of Pleasant is his way of coping and hoping not to fire his friend.