Could the Atlanta Falcons trade up?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Agamemnon

Rookie
Wednesday, April 17, 2013
Could the Atlanta Falcons trade up?
By Pat Yasinskas

Sports Illustrated’s Peter King tweeted Wednesday morning that he’s hearing the Atlanta Falcons are trying to trade up in the first round of next week’s NFL draft.

That’s going to open the door for all sorts of speculation. Maybe the Falcons are smitten with a player at another position, but I think their only glaring need is at cornerback.

Brent Grimes left as a free agent and Dunta Robinson was released. Asante Samuel and Robert McClain remain, but the Falcons need to add a starting-caliber cornerback. Atlanta currently has the 30th overall pick, but the Falcons almost certainly would have to move up to get any of the three cornerbacks that most experts say are the best in this draft -- Dee Milliner, Xavier Rhodes and Desmond Trufant.

The Falcons, who have some resources to work with because they currently have 11 draft picks, could probably get Rhodes or Trufant if they moved into the late teens or early 20s.

But Rhodes and Trufant might not be who the Falcons want. On the surface, Atlanta is a team on the cusp of a Super Bowl. The Falcons could view Milliner as the missing link.

They’d have to move into the top 10, maybe even the top five, to get him. The cost would be high (here’s a trade value chart to use as a guideline).

But I’m not ruling the Milliner scenario out. There’s precedent. Back in 2011, the Falcons made a similar leap to get receiver Julio Jones and that deal worked out well.

It’s no secret Atlanta is in a win-now mode and Milliner might give the Falcons the best shot at winning a Super Bowl.

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/46970/could-falcons-trade-up" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_ ... s-trade-up</a>

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's a team that has no reservations about trading up.
They'd be a good partner if the price is right.

iced

+ The Les Snead connection makes this all the more easier and likely

Shawnbb158

Starter
Another from PFT

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/17/falcons-trying-to-trade-up-in-the-nfl-draft/

Falcons trying to trade up in the NFL draft
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 17, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT

AP
Two years ago, the Falcons made no secret in the days before the draft that they were looking to trade up to get a wide receiver, and they would eventually send two first-round picks, a second-round pick and two fourth-round picks to Cleveland so that they could draft Julio Jones sixth overall. That worked well enough that the Falcons are now trying to move up again.

Peter King of Sports Illustrated reports that the Falcons are trying to trade up from their current first-round pick, which is No. 30 overall. King said he doesn’t know which player or players the Falcons are targeting, but they apparently like someone whom they expect to be off the board before No. 30 overall.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution recently suggested that the Falcons might try to trade up for a cornerback like Alabama’s Dee Milliner, Florida State’s Xavier Rhodes or Washington’s Desmond Trufant. They could also covet one of the draft’s top pass rushers after releasing veteran defensive end John Abraham. There’s also talk that they might like to acquire Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert and give him a year to learn from Tony Gonzalez (who is expected to retire after the 2013 season) before taking over for Gonzalez in 2014 as the team’s No. 1 tight end.

Whatever the Falcons’ plans are, General Manager Thomas Dimitroff showed everyone when he traded up for Jones that he’s not afraid to make a bold move if there’s a player he loves.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
As I compute it would take their 1st 2nd and 3rd for our #16 and maybe our 7th rnd pick or their 1st 3rd and 4th for our #22.Can't imagine why they'd only want to move up 8 spots.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
30th might be a good place for Justin Hunter or maybe "Nuke."

Seems like all the better players would be gone at that spot, tho.

I wouldn't do it.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Angry Ram said:

I wouldn't do it.

16 for 30, 58, & 88? Yes, I would do that. Sure, you lose a chance at maybe an elite player but in this draft, 30 and 58 would likely produce starters and 88 would more than likely make the team as at least a depth upgrade.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ramhusker said:
Angry Ram said:

I wouldn't do it.

16 for 30, 58, & 88? Yes, I would do that. Sure, you lose a chance at maybe an elite player but in this draft, 30 and 58 would likely produce starters and 88 would more than likely make the team as at least a depth upgrade.

What does the draft value chart say? I'm not sure that's enough for 16.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
CGI_Ram said:
Ramhusker said:
Angry Ram said:

I wouldn't do it.

The 16th pick is worth 1000.

The 30th pick is worth 620.
The 60th pick is worth 300.
The 92nd pick is worth 124.

So 1000 < 1044. Pretty even.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ramhusker said:
CGI_Ram said:
Ramhusker said:
Angry Ram said:

I wouldn't do it.

The 16th pick is worth 1000.

The 30th pick is worth 620.
The 60th pick is worth 300.
The 92nd pick is worth 124.

So 1000 < 1044. Pretty even.

Thanks for putting this up.

My first instinct was "no". 16 feels primo to me and the 60th gets thin on the beef for me. But package it with 92 and 30 plus something under 50 and I think the odds feel more comfortable to me.