Could Gaines push Johnson to safety?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I don't think it would be such a bad idea.

Is it possible Gaines could play safety? What say you?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I don't think it would be such a bad idea.

Is it possible Gaines could play safety? What say you?
I like Gaines, I think he'll be a good player for us, but Tru is not going to safety. He is one of only two corners who has shown to be a starter. No way would I start switching that now

Memphis Ram

Legend
Someone is going to have to convince me that Johnson isn't the best CB on the team right now. I say leave him at CB.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I believe Gaines said he might play some safety himself. I don't know, but Trumaine is the best corner on the team. No need to move him.

jjab360

Legend
No, probably not.

It's possible he could push Joyner to safety, though, if those guys are about even playing slot corner, Joyner could probably provide a lot more value to the team at S.

Muleman

UDFA
Gaines seems to do well playing zone as well as man and he is a willing tackler. I don't know know, but his skills might transition to playing free safety fairly well.

lockdnram21

Legend
yea i think Joyner will eventually be FS and EJ slot CB unless the Alexander experiment starts workig quickly

This is becoming the "Sam is our QB" of defence, no matter how many times it's said that Johnson is not moving to safety someone has to ask.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is becoming the "Sam is our QB" of defence, no matter how many times it's said that Johnson is not moving to safety someone has to ask.

Yeah, except the Rams don't draft starting quality QBs. Gaines, Joyers, Jenks, Johnson, and probably even Reid are ALL starting quality. We still have one last hole to fill at that FS spot.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If anything, I think Gaines might be the one moving to safety. I'm not sold he has quick enough feet to play CB in the NFL at his size.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
If anything, I think Gaines might be the one moving to safety. I'm not sold he has quick enough feet to play CB in the NFL at his size.

I'd be seriously concerned with him tackling back there. He would make a fantastic safety besides that, but I feel like he really needs tackling help and I would hardly be comfortable with him as the last line of defense.

BeerOClock

Rookie
In an era where teams are trending towards tall receivers, Tru's 6'2" height gives the Rams a guy who can match them. Why would the Rams want to replace him with the 5'10" Gaines?

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
It would be beneficial to have at least one tall corner to cover the big NFL WRs more easily. Keep Tru where he is.

duckhunter

Starter
I like to see em bring along these late round rookies a little slowly rather than throw them into the mix real early. Gives the coaches a while to iron out the wrinkles and groom them a little so their initial chance is a rewarding experience. DB confidence is so vital for the position.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
In an era where teams are trending towards tall receivers, Tru's 6'2" height gives the Rams a guy who can match them. Why would the Rams want to replace him with the 5'10" Gaines?
This was my first thought. Right now Tru is our only corner with size. He'll get the big WR matchup.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Our best corner and our only big corner (besides the UDFA 6'4" corner we just signed)

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Rams are still razor thin at corner when it comes to Nfl experience. On paper it looks like solid depth. But we're going to have to wait and see which of the new guys can adapt to Williams system the fastest.
McGee from a measurable stand point looks like he could slide to safety. But safety is such a instinctual position it might be to big of a adjustment.

lockdnram21

Legend
Mcleod,Joyner,Mcdonald,and Alexander probaly will all see some time at safety. Fisher said its interchangeable. He said that Alexander could play Fs. At some point in the year if all goes well expect Alexander and Mcdonald as the safeties