Could Chris Givens reemerge...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
...with a healthy Bradford and revamped offensive line? I have a hard time believing he isn't worth anything after being a big play threat in his rookie year.

I know many here are very high on our WR corps, but I still have some serious hesitation making such a claim. Even with inconsistent line and QB play it is still pretty alarming that Britt was our best receiver with 700+ yards, which is his career best. Yes, that was after Quick went down, but even Quick was only on pace to get about 850 yards.

Stedmen Bailey is capable of coming up with a nice play here and there, but he hasn't proven anything in regard to putting together multiple big performances. And Tavon has been underwhelming for what we expected...I think he has a ton of potential still and can be a great asset, I just don't know that he is ever going to be the guy we really thought we were getting.

Athos

Legend
He's toast imo.

Studman has surpassed him in every way.

If anyone needs Sam, it's a guy like Bailey who I think would be incredible with an average to above average QB.

fancents86

Starter
I like Givens, but I think the Rams move on from him after this season. He went too far down in the line up. He proved last night he can still make plays, don't think that's gonna be enough though.

lockdnram21

Legend
I actually think he can. With a better QB and line. As long as he's not the #1 option and has Quick or Britt pulling the defenses.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
That's a good point. I think we overlook Givens quite a bit. Without someone who can throw the ball to him deep, or who can at least throw it to him in stride, he's a man without a bicycle.
I'll still remember the catch-n-run he made (2012?) where he took a short pass he caught in stride to the house, accelerating to full speed almost instantly. I say we need to at least see who we have in TC at QB before we just cut him loose.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly until we have a QB I think everyone is safe except those on the o line. Even schotty I just hope that Schotty opens up the play book more and become more creative. I don't like the guy at all but still think he is safe

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like all of our guys in some capacity...but I can't help but think we've got a corps full of complimentary WRs and still lack that true no.1. Not saying we've got to have that to win but I think it would go a long way.

I don't think Givens is that no.1 but I do think he has an element most of the other guys are missing and if he can be effective (which I think is going to take a QB with an arm and a better line) and that would make the entire stable much better.

lockdnram21

Legend
I like all of our guys in some capacity...but I can't help but think we've got a corps full of complimentary WRs and still lack that true no.1. Not saying we've got to have that to win but I think it would go a long way.

I don't think Givens is that no.1 but I do think he has an element most of the other guys are missing and if he can be effective (which I think is going to take a QB with an arm and a better line) and that would make the entire stable much better.
How can u say that without a qb or line. I don't know how many times Davis and Hill missed Britt on what should have been touchdowns. W. ith capable Qb Britt would easily have been over 1000. how many times Bailey was wide open and missed Some of that is also on the line. But I agree we could use a speed element like Givens on outside. If not him I say draft either Duke Williams , Ty Montgomery or even DGB. But we could do without. Hopefully Tavon works on that route running.

Irish

Starter
If Donnie Avery can resurrect his career, than so can Chris Givens.

I doubt it will be on this team, but he can certainly do it with the right situation

Sum1

Hall of Fame
How can u say that without a qb or line. I don't know how many times Davis and Hill missed Britt on what should have been touchdowns. W. ith capable Qb Britt would easily have been over 1000. how many times Bailey was wide open and missed Some of that is also on the line. But I agree we could use a speed element like Givens on outside. If not him I say draft either Duke Williams , Ty Montgomery or even DGB. But we could do without. Hopefully Tavon works on that route running.
Because there are WRs in the NFL that put together those kinds of seasons with poor QB and line play. I think the thought that anyone on our team is a standout number 1 is simply being overly optimistic because they are on our team rather than truly being objective.

lockdnram21

Legend
Because there are WRs in the NFL that put together those kinds of seasons with poor QB and line play. I think the thought that anyone on our team is a standout number 1 is simply being overly optimistic because they are on our team rather than truly being objective.
I bet there qb was better then ours. And I'm going off this year. Britt has plated great. Bailey has stepped up. There has been plenty plays left on the field that should have been made. Most of the time it was qb not making the play

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I bet there qb was better then ours. And I'm going off this year. Britt has plated great. Bailey has stepped up. There has been plenty plays left on the field that should have been made. Most of the time it was qb not making the play
Like the guys throwing the ball to Josh Gordon for 1600 yards last year? (Jason Campbell, Brandon Weeden, and Brian Hoyer)
Andre Johnson had 1400 yards on 2013 with QBs that combined had as poor or poorer performances than Hill/Davis did this year.
DeAndre Hopkins went over 1000 this year with statistically similar QB play as the Rams.
Jeremy Maclin had 1300 yards this year with QB play that statistically was very similar to the Rams.
Mike Evans had over 1000 yards this year.
Alshon Jeffrey over 1000 yards with a QB that got his coach and GM fired.
Kelvin Benjamin over 1000 yards and Cam Newton had a terrible year.

Britt's 700+ yards is very encouraging, but I don't see how you can objectively believe that the only reason he hasn't eclipsed 1000 yards is because of the QB play. He's earned his spot on our team, don't get me wrong. I'm just going to label any of WRs as legit big time receivers. There could be a couple of them that prove otherwise, but I think it is foolish to cling to that if there is opportunity to improve. I certainly don't think WR is the first priority but I think it should be higher on the list than many around here want to believe.

Ramathon

...with a healthy Bradford and revamped offensive line? I have a hard time believing he isn't worth anything after being a big play threat in his rookie year.

Why? Has he showed you anything since then? I think fans have tended to overvalue him ever since that stretch of, what 5 straight games w/ at least one 50 yd reception.

IMO, he's the Austin Davis of the WR corps. Showed a flash, but once the opposition figured him out, he hasn't shown anything since.

My biggest knock on him was the seeming unwillingness to fight for receptions at all. He just seemed to be playing not to get hurt. Of course, that was 2013. Dunno if that's still true since he seems buried so deep on the depth chart, and I haven't seen him on the field much this year.

Also, what role would he have these days? IF he is just that one-trick go long or disappear pony, that's not enough. TA has that kind of speed and could surely run go routes. What else is left for Givens?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Why? Has he showed you anything since then? I think fans have tended to overvalue him ever since that stretch of, what 5 straight games w/ at least one 50 yd reception.

IMO, he's the Austin Davis of the WR corps. Showed a flash, but once the opposition figured him out, he hasn't shown anything since.

My biggest knock on him was the seeming unwillingness to fight for receptions at all. He just seemed to be playing not to get hurt. Of course, that was 2013. Dunno if that's still true since he seems buried so deep on the depth chart, and I haven't seen him on the field much this year.

Also, what role would he have these days? IF he is just that one-trick go long or disappear pony, that's not enough. TA has that kind of speed and could surely run go routes. What else is left for Givens?

Because the one area that not having a QB that can throw the deep ball with accuracy and having a poor offensively line really hurts is that deep ball. I don't think Givens is complete receiver but should be able to take the top off once in a while...I don't think he's done it even once since Bradford went down. If there is any WR on this team that you really have any kind of evidence of truly hurting due to Bradford's injuries it is Givens...but I also don't think that is reason enough to bank on Givens if the coaching staff feels like there is more to be desired there.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I personally think with a good QB all the receivers on our team can be pretty good.
There is no reasons IMO to think Givens first year + was a fluke.

But just like Stacey this year he didn't get a lot of opportunity. You can't find 4.3 speed anywhere.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
WR is highly valued position these days. There are three that will probably go top ten. They are all better than our best.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
I would be fine going into next season with the exact same receiving corps as this year. We need upgrades at the oline and qb positions a lot more than WR at this point. Unless Britt doesn't come back, I don't really expect them to make any changes unless there's someone in the draft they want to kick the wheels on. With an improved oline, I think the other positions on offense will also improve. Givens can still be a threat with Britt, Quick, Mason, Cook and Austin on the field with him. They all can't be covered. Need to give the qb time to find them.

RamWoodie

Legend
Sure Givens can emerge...the question of whether he will is between his ears! It's on him!