Could AJ McCarron's cockiness get Bengals over the hump?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

View: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2605554-aj-mccarrons-cockiness-could-be-just-what-the-bengals-need-to-break-through?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

It was January 6, 1991. ... That was the last time the Bengals won a playoff game. January...6...1991.

It's the longest such drought in the history of the NFL, and the Bengals are asking a man named AJ McCarron to end it.

Who is AJ McCarron? His cockiness has been chronicled, but in speaking with scouts and team executives about McCarron this week, all of whom followed him closely during the draft process, it sounds like he was cockier than generally known. These officials spoke highly of McCarron but also said his arrogance was the reason he fell in the draft.

But interestingly, each of the three personnel men interviewed said they always believed that if McCarron went to the right system, with the right coach, he'd be successful in the NFL.

"It's not shocking he's prospering now," one scout who followed McCarron's college career and interviewed him during the draft process said. "Marvin [Lewis] is good handling players, and that team has some good veteran leadership."

hi-res-35541096a10b42d5d7bf2f0def904388_crop_exact.jpg

Scouts liked McCarron's mobility, his arm and his smarts. What they didn't like was how he came off in interviews, particularly during the combine. All of the personnel men interviewed said, without equivocation, that perceived cockiness is why McCarron went in the fifth round in 2014, instead of where many projected, in the second or third.

Yet this also needs to made clear: These personnel men believe McCarron has a good chance of beating Pittsburgh. Why? Because of his confidence.

The irony of a league busting down McCarron in the draft for excessive cockiness and now saying that cockiness is an asset should not be lost on anyone.

The personnel men look at McCarron now and see a player far more comfortable in the offense than he was a few weeks ago. They also believe the creativity of offensive coordinator Hue Jackson will continue to protect McCarron.

McCarron has been solid in all three of his starts since Andy Daltonwent down with a broken thumb in Week 14:

Date Result Cmp-Att Cmp% Yards TD Int Rating
Dec. 20 Bengals 24, 49ers 14 15-of-21 71.43 192 1 0 115.6
Dec. 28 Broncos 20, Bengals 17 22-of-35 62.86 200 1 0 87.8
Jan. 3 Bengals 24, Ravens 16 17-of-27 62.96 160 2 0 103.9
Pro-Football-Reference.com

He has made smart decisions with the football and provides just enough mobility to give pass-rushers headaches. This was the McCarron teams believed could be productive in the NFL, the McCarron who seemed like an early-round pick until his mouth got in the way.

He is, by far, no easy layup for the Steelers.

crop_exact_full_image.jpeg

It will be interesting to see how McCarron responds to the startling intensity of an NFL playoff game. There's almost nothing like it, especially when there's a rivalry and bad blood in play.

On Wednesday, the NFL sent out a video reminding teams about sportsmanship and how players represent the league. The video was sent to all playoff teams, but there's little question the true targets were the feisty Bengals and Steelers, to try to make sure there's no repeat of the pregame scrum that happened in the first meeting.

"I hate Pittsburgh," Vontaze Burfict told reporters this week. "It's not personal. That's just the way it is."

This is the maelstrom McCarron walks into. That cockiness? He's going to need it.

Mike Freeman covers the NFL for Bleacher Report. Follow him, @mikefreemanNFL.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
"Marvin [Lewis] is good handling players, and that team has some good veteran leadership."

Another miss? Fisher is good at handling players and he and Snead had interest in McCarron, according to an interview he did with Colin Cowherd. He said they loved the way he protected the ball and did not make poor decisions. Maybe this QB need would have never been.....or McCarron is like every other back up who eventually will be caught up to.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
He better have his head on a swivel because Pitts has some hitters on D.Pitts secondary is not very good so I think they will blitz Mccarron all day long to rattle him.So no I don't think he can get by Pitts.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't think so! I put the odds at 60-40 against!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He just has to be patient and not make mistakes that give Ben a short field. If he does that and the Bengals defense plays well it will be a good game.

The Steelers have weaknesses in their secondary but they are gonna throw the kid looks that should keep him under wraps with the rush.

By far my favorite game this weekend but yeah I do think the Steelers win due to QB.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
if he wins a playoff game before Dalton :rolllaugh:

I hate the misconception that QBs are the only reason a team wins or loses. AJ is in a much better situation to win than Dalton ever was, imo. Find it odd how football is considered the ultimate team sport, yet its all about which QB won

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I like McCarron. You need cockiness to go with talent in the NFL. Doubt it will be enough tonight against Ben and his offense, but it should be fun to watch.

Speaking of Bama QBs.... Am I the only one that thinks Jake Coker might quietly be one of the best QBs in this upcoming draft?? I can't stand Bama btw, but there is something about that kid...

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Steelers have the mojo over Bengals! I'll take Ben and crew on this one!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Speaking of Bama QBs.... Am I the only one that thinks Jake Coker might quietly be one of the best QBs in this upcoming draft?? I can't stand Bama btw, but there is something about that kid...

He's got good size and measurables. Everyone overlooks him due to his loss of his job what, 3 times? But gotta give him credit, I do like he hung tough in college and earned experience and finished strong.

I do like underdogs, so gonna root for him to play well vs Clemson. If he does that, he might end up being a guy who is a far better pro than college player. Some guys "get it" late, so his staying in college was huge for him no doubt.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It did wonders for RGIII and Kaepernick's careers so far, and things are looking up for Johnny Football too.

Athos

Legend
It's a shame Hill and the collective morons on D destroyed his would be game winning drive.

Burfict and Pacman should buy him a new car.

Thought he played well. Looked pretty damn good in shit conditions.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McCarron was god awful in the 1st half, and when the chips were down, he came thru. Shame the aura of Lewis wont allow the Bengals to win a playoff game

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
McCarron was god awful in the 1st half, and when the chips were down, he came thru. Shame the aura of Lewis wont allow the Bengals to win a playoff game

Agree. It wasn't a stellar performance, but he looked like he belonged.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree. It wasn't a stellar performance, but he looked like he belonged.
Unless you consider the 4th Q where the rubber hits the road
8-13 for 89 yards and a TD including a 4th down conversion
3 rushes for 10 yards
Scored 2 td (1 the result of a 42 yard PI) and 1 FG
All in the 4th Q

Really was a coming out party IMO

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
He probably could be had for a second or third with Dalton coming back. A QB stepping up in a playoff game against a division rival is nothing to sneeze at, and we need that competitive nature at the QB spot.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Interesting article tittle and content in light of game result. Cockiness- not by McCarron- may have been the undoing of the Bengals.