Cossell not blown away by Williams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Gregg Cossell gives his views on Williams

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/p...l-films-im-not-blown-away-by-leonard-williams

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- In draft analysis circles, it’s difficult to find a less-than-stellar review of USC defensive lineman Leonard Williams.

But Greg Cosell, who studies players for NFL Films, has watched four game of Williams and isn’t overwhelmed.

"I’m going to be in the minority here, and I am sure there are a lot of people who think I am a moron, and it wouldn’t be the first time, but I’m not blown away by Leonard Williams," Cosell said in his weekly interview with my Nashville radio show, The Midday 180 on 104.5 The Zone.

"I think he tends to play high, I think he tends to show his chest, which is a really bad thing for a defensive lineman. I wouldn’t say he’s a natural pass-rusher. I didn’t think he played real well sort of in space. I thought there were too many snaps in which he was moved by double teams. I think that he’s flash player. Every once in a while you see a certain play and you go, 'Wow, that’s pretty good.' But I don’t see him as a purely explosive player the way you’d think of let’s say a Gerald McCoy coming out of Oklahoma or a Sheldon Richardson coming out of Missouri.

"Again, I’m not going to sit here and tell you he’s a bad player. But people are talking about him now as if he’s a Hall of Fame player. I’ve watched four games now, and some people would say that’s plenty, and I’ll probably watch even more because I know I’m in the minority and I want to make sure I’m not missing anything -- but that’s what I see on film."

If the Tennessee Titans have a similar feeling, I could see them concluding their bigger need isn’t on the line, but at outside linebacker, and looking to drop in the first round and land Dante Fowler Jr., Randy Gregory, Shane Ray, or Vic Beasley.

Cosell said Gregory is a better athlete, more explosive and more flexible, but not as strong as last year’s No. 1 pick, Jadeveon Clowney. Colleague Tania Ganguli reflected on that from a Texans’ perspective.

Cosell is also very high on Fowler, who he said could be a Clay Matthews or Justin Houston.

Athos

Legend
Cosell said Gregory is a better athlete, more explosive and more flexible, but not as strong as last year’s No. 1 pick, Jadeveon Clowney. Colleague Tania Ganguli reflected on that from a Texans’ perspective.

Now that's just silly and hilarious. Clowney is a bit of a stiff DE without a lot of wiggle (he's not a speed, finesse guy like Quinn, who is damned strong himself) but Clowney, pre-injury is hella more explosive and flexible than Gregory.

I see Gregory and I see Dion Jordan and I see......how the fuck do you select a guy like that that high, again?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Now that's just silly and hilarious. Clowney is a bit of a stiff DE without a lot of wiggle (he's not a speed, finesse guy like Quinn, who is damned strong himself) but Clowney, pre-injury is hella more explosive and flexible than Gregory.

I see Gregory and I see Dion Jordan and I see......how the freak do you select a guy like that that high, again?

I don't know. I haven't really looked at either that closely. I really can't spend the time that Cosell does nor do I have the resources. I do like most of his analysis and he always reiterates that he is strictly evaluating what he sees and does not get caught up in any media hype. Nor does he like to do mocks or top position lists. He doesn't like mocks because he is not into evaluating team needs so much as he is just watching prospects films and he doesn't like making lists like Mayocks top 5 at each position because that is too dependent on scheme and coaching. He tries to stay as objective as possible. I think he is very good at what he does. I like and agree with most of his analysis. In this case he admits that most people will disagree with him. At least he is not afraid to stay true to what he sees and let outside influences dissuade him from giving a true opinion.

For the record I was not as 'high' on Clowney as most were. But I have no idea about Gregory. Haven't really watched much of him.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I said this last year about Cossell, who previously, I had much respect for his analysis. I don't believe in him anymore, as a whole, even when he says stuff that I do agree with.

That being said, the guy has 100 times the experience that I do.