Cosell Talks: Sam Bradford / Josh Freeman

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
logo.png

Greg Cosell
http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/05/22/cose ... h-freeman/

The last couple of weeks, I have written about Matt Ryan, Michael Vick, Matthew Stafford and Cam Newton. This week, I will continue to spotlight the quarterback position, focusing on two young players who detoured in 2011 after strong seasons in 2010. Sam Bradford set an NFL record for most completions by a rookie quarterback (the previous mark was held by Peyton Manning). Josh Freeman threw 25 touchdown passes and only six interceptions in his first full season as a starter. Both Bradford and Freeman had the look of soon-to-be-elite NFL quarterbacks. It did not work out that way last season.

Bradford came out of Oklahoma as the league’s No. 1 overall pick. He was a polished passer in many areas: ball position on his drop, both from under center and in the shotgun; balance, with his feet quick yet unhurried; a strong plant with his back foot; excellent weight transfer as he delivered the ball; compact throwing motion, tight with powerful arm speed; and then most important of all attributes, precise and consistent in his ball location. What I really liked about Bradford was his ability to sit in the pocket on his back foot, then drive through his throws and deliver with velocity and accuracy. There was no question he was a top arm talent.

[wrapimg=left]http://nflfilms.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/ap111212144864.jpg[/wrapimg]As a rookie in 2010, Bradford exhibited many of these traits, plus a few others that were compelling indicators of NFL success. He was decisive in reading the blitz and getting the ball out quickly to the right receiver. He was firm in the pocket, willing to look down the gun barrel and make strong throws in the face of pressure. He had a refined sense of timing and anticipation, showing the ability to pull the trigger before his receivers came out of their breaks. All positives, and all quantifiable measures of top-level quarterback play in the NFL.

Bradford threw a red-zone touchdown pass to Brandon Gibson against the Seahawks in just his fourth NFL start that was as impressive as you’ll see, for any quarterback. Visualize this: The Seahawks dropped eight defenders into coverage, significantly compressing the passing lanes. Consequently, sight lines were squeezed, but Bradford did two things that were special. First, he manipulated and moved the underneath coverage with his head and eyes, which opened a lane to deliver the ball. Secondly, he threw the ball well before Gibson broke inside, near the back of the end zone. Unbelievable anticipation and accuracy on a tight-window throw in the red zone. It was beautiful.

But Bradford certainly wasn’t perfect in his rookie season. There were two particular areas where significant work was needed. There were times he was not comfortable in the pocket with bodies around him. That’s a different trait than looking down the gun barrel. When the pocket closes down and functional space is reduced to throw cleanly and comfortably, you must still stay on balance and deliver the ball in the eye of the storm. A game against the Kansas City Chiefs, in particular, brought this to the forefront. In addition, there were instances in which Bradford had opportunities to be more aggressive throwing down the field that he didn’t take advantage of. My feeling was he’d pull the trigger on those throws with more experience, but of course, you never know.

So what happened in 2011? The problems began the opening Sunday. Bradford was tentative in the pocket, not mentally sharp, and at times he did not let it loose when he had a throw. An inconsistent profile had been established. What really stood out as the year progressed was Bradford’s reaction to pressure — the issue that first surfaced in his rookie season against Kansas City. It is easy to place the blame on the Rams’ poor pass protection, but that circumvents the more essential point. You must be able to function effectively in a muddied and noisy pocket to play quarterback well in the NFL, and Bradford began to perceive pressure that was not there. He was anticipating the rush, and you cannot perform that way, no matter what kind of talent you have throwing the football.

The November 20 game against the Seahawks crystallized much of Bradford’s 2011 season. His velocity had decreased; he was not driving the ball down the field. Even his 30-yard touchdown pass to Brandon Lloyd hung in the air a little too long. His precise ball location, a feature of his game as a rookie, had waned. He missed some throws that were there. He had very little sense of timing with his receivers. He threw some balls too early, and some too late; the passing game was clearly out of synch. I strongly believe the injuries, the revolving door and the overall lack of quality at the wide receiver position was a more legitimate reason for Bradford’s struggles than the offensive line. The inability of Rams wideouts to get open on one-on-one isolation routes — a must in the NFL — had an extremely negative impact on Bradford. His game is timing and rhythm, but his uncertainty as to when to deliver the ball is clear on last season’s tape. He was hoping, rather than playing, and that’s a formula for failure.

[wrapimg=left]http://nflfilms.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/ap1112171183920.jpg?w=199&h=300[/wrapimg]Freeman is another quarterback with very good talent. There’s a lot to like about his skill set, including a naturally strong arm. But here’s the issue, and it still exists after two full seasons as a starter: There are too many plays in which Freeman’s footwork and balance are uneven as he drops and sets in the pocket. He just does not look the same drop after drop. That negatively affects his weight transfer, which impacts his ability to drive through his throws and ultimately reduces his arm strength. The result is that a quarterback with a strong arm doesn’t always throw that way.

When I studied Freeman in 2010, his outstanding sophomore season, I saw elements of Ben Roethlisberger. He was similar in size, about 6-foot-5 and 250 pounds. And like Roethlisberger, Freeman was much more of a playmaker than a precision quarterback. He has a strong body, with the movement skills to escape and the strength to shed pass rushers. And most critically, he has the ability to keep his focus downfield and make throws at the intermediate and deeper levels.

Freeman’s size and mobility, however, camouflaged some concerns that were evident on tape in 2010. And as we know, the eye in the sky never lies. I already mentioned his technique issues, but they were exacerbated by a nagging tendency to drift in the pocket, rather than drop straight back on what we call the midline. His accuracy was at times scattershot; he missed on too many throws that you need to make. Most people don’t make the connection between proper technique repeated over and over, but it may be the most decisive factor in producing precise ball location.

I remember the Redskins game in early December of 2010. There’s no question a Jim Haslett defense gives a quarterback a lot of looks, both before and after the snap, but Freeman really struggled reading coverage. I sensed he predetermined a lot of his throws in the pre-snap phase, failing to properly assess the coverage after taking the snap. One thing that did stand out in 2010 was Freeman’s willingness to make tough throws; he was not tentative pulling the trigger. He made a lot of tight window throws. That’s a positive.

The overall point is that Freeman’s 2010 season, while the numbers looked good on paper, was not quite as strong as the perception. There were some concerns that needed to be addressed if he was going to reach the “elite” status many had already bestowed upon him. Those issues remained in 2011, and consequently Freeman’s third season spiraled downhill fairly quickly. I remember finishing the San Francisco tape on the season’s fifth Sunday — a game Tampa Bay lost 48-3 — and being very surprised at what a poor job Freeman did recognizing and reading coverage. He missed basic reads. He left the pocket too early, with no pressure forcing him to do so, because he was not getting a clear picture of the defense. Two weeks later against the Bears, he continued to struggle with his reads, his decision making and his accuracy. Make no mistake, the erratic accuracy is a serious matter.

Later in the 2011 season, Freeman showed some improvement. The Green Bay game in November was a strong effort. He was better in all areas, particularly progression reading and overall accuracy. But the bottom line is this: As Freeman enters the 2012 season, he remains a work in progress, a talented signal caller who has yet to refine the subtle disciplines of NFL quarterback play. He’s more sporadic playmaker than precise passer. There’s no question he has the tools to take that next step, and with a new coaching staff, I would not be surprised if we see significant improvement.

Despite the disappointment of 2011, both Freeman and Bradford have the throwing ability to reach high-level status in the NFL quarterback hierarchy. I can’t wait to watch them come September.

Anonymous

This is long so if you have hang-ups about long posts, then, what can I say...it's long. :cool:

I am gonna do 2 things here.

1. I am going to compare what Cosell says to what both Bradford himself and Rick Venturi say about his areas for improvement. As it happens that's the three most important publically available analyses of his play. This, Venturi from a few months ago, and Bradford from the end of 2010.

I assume that we all see the absolute positives with Bradford. Not mentioning them here just means I assume there's consensus on them. Work ethic, intangibles, attitude, poise, accuracy, arm, ability to throw on the run, timing. All that stuff you can see in any highlight vid and which we saw watching him.

2. I am going to criticize Cosell for absolutely failing to account for certain things. Mostly cause I am amazed he basically does not consider them.

#2 first.

It's amazing that he would write that whole thing and not once pause to consider the effect of a too-quickly installed new offense.

See no matter how sharp someone's eyes are, they still see their preconceptions more than the objects in front of them. Cosell's not going to account for the context (and he clearly isn't going to--he says he just "watches film" and that means he doesn't account for context, which in this case is a blindspot).

So for example he mentions Bradford not trusting the receivers.

The inability of Rams wideouts to get open on one-on-one isolation routes — a must in the NFL — had an extremely negative impact on Bradford. His game is timing and rhythm, but his uncertainty as to when to deliver the ball is clear on last season’s tape. He was hoping, rather than playing, and that’s a formula for failure.

Okay. Now why not trust the receivers. He did in 2010.

Now I didn't play pro ball and I don't watch hours of film but I do try to synthesize different sources. So for example if you listen to receivers who have been in this offensive system (like Manningham and Cruz in NY) they will tell you that the whole thing is predicated on the WR and qb silently and simultaneously making the same reads during the play. Not even before the play, during the play. So here are a bunch of guys who have never done that before--from rookies to young guys who had played the year before--and they are learning it on the fly. It's not in sync, it;s not clicking. At a minimum they needed an off-season.

So why doesn't that get factored in?

Anyway, as for Bradford's areas for improvement.

there were instances in which Bradford had opportunities to be more aggressive throwing down the field that he didn’t take advantage of. My feeling was he’d pull the trigger on those throws with more experience, but of course, you never know.

He says that one himself. Bradford does. That he needed to see and take the medium shots.

And Venturi says the exact same thing.

As for this:

The November 20 game against the Seahawks crystallized much of Bradford’s 2011 season. His velocity had decreased; he was not driving the ball down the field.

Now you realize what it means when he puts it that way.

He did not watch all the games--just a handful. Which only makes sense cause otherwise, you have to watch 32 teams 16 times each, which is 512 games. He doesn't have time to watch 512 games from the season. If you just watch them once without pausing and rewinding, that's 1536 hours of film, and if you work 10 hours a day at it 7 days a week, it would take you 154 days to see every game just once each.

So he selects games.

What is one drawback of that method.

He is suddenly startled by this big change in Bradford.

What meanwhile did we fans who saw every game see.

An injured Bradford on a bad ankle playing behind a completely re-formed OL.

Guys under those conditions have both physical limitations and they lack confidence in their line. We saw the exact same thing with Bulger--when you lack confidence in your OL, you're left pressing trying to make a play.

Now #1. Cause I do things backwards. Okay here are the areas for improvement that Venturi, Cosell, and Bradford himself all point to.

1. Reads. That's the same in effect as trusting the WRs. He needs to do pre-snap reads, go through his progressions during the play, and find and hit the medium shots that are there. Bradford said all that himself at the end of 2010. No surprise...you would expect a young pro who had recently been a college spread qb to say all of that.

2. Pocket awareness. Bradford doesn't say that but Venturi and Cosell did.

Venturi said all of that will come with experience. I have no reason to doubt that.

So I figure Venturi and Cosell are seeing the same things and putting it just slightly differently.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Very good post, zn. I can't really find fault with Cosell for not using context, because like you said, he'd have to do A LOT of homework on each team to put everything in perspective. But at least he did mention the things that were detrimental to his immediate development. It surely would have been nice if he mentioned the transition from one scheme to another, and that transition being an upward thrust and not a scaled-back, account for not having reps and practice kinda scheme. But we can't ask for everything. Especially when he's gotta write about 30 articles on QBs alone while writing about draft prospects and things like that.

I don't really have a problem with the receivers last year when it comes to their base talent and potential. Rookies and 2nd year guys are gonna struggle when they're all required to be on the same page with the QB, and none of them had the requisite time to get their timing and chemistry down. It's no small wonder why Lloyd came in and every QB benefited from his presence. I mean, when a receiver gets in the huddle and TELLS a QB where to throw the ball in the endzone, and that he'll "just be there", that has to account for something. Who else was going to do that? Pettis? Those kinds of things absolutely have to be accounted for, but very few people give it anything other than lip service.

As far as Bradford's immediate weaknesses go, there's no problem listing them. He knows what they are, and he's a very astute student of not only the game, but of himself. One thing that wasn't mentioned, and is pure mind-reading on my part, is that maybe he didn't pull the trigger on some of those longer throws because he was too preoccupied with not making a critical error. Throwing an interception when the offense is sputtering to begin with, is something that's difficult to overcome. So maybe he was just hesitant to be THE reason why they couldn't get it going on offense. Maybe. Again, that's mind-reading.

I'm sure he'll make the adjustments necessary to take the next step, and I have complete confidence in Fisher and Schottenheimer to put him in position to slowly open up his game as the season rolls along. Obviously the most important aspect of all this is team health. I'm not asking for NO injuries, but it would be nice if we *only* lost a couple of linemen and maybe one receiver. I'd really like for him to have average to above average protection, and the luxury of getting in sync with at least one receiver. If not two. And having Amendola back in the mix as his safety valve is going to help greatly. As long as he's not his primary target. So, yeah. Just work on the read progression, trust in your receivers and your protection, and utilize the roll-out like he used to. Because for a big man, he has pretty decent wheels.

It should all come together this year. I'm certainly pulling for him to silence all his critics real soon.