Cosell on T Greg Robinson: Not a Finished Product

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Cosell on T Robinson: Not a finished product

NFL Films' Greg Cosell believes Auburn T Greg Robinson has a long way to go to become a finished product.

"I think he has a ton of potential as a road grading, run blocking offensive tackle," Cosell began. "I think he is a work in progress in pass protection... there would be questions, not concerns, on how he would pass protect on an island against edge speed." Our own Josh Norris has shared these same questions, since Robinson frequently was asked to block inside or double team in pass protection sets.
Source: Midday 180

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/0/nfl-draft-headlines

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Might be better than Cooper but he is not better than Matthews. Matthews can start day one and will be a cornerstone fro someone's Oline for 10 years +

MFaulk107

The Realness
I go back and forth on who to draft.
Maybe Mathews is better now(seeing how he's a "finished" product.)
But maybe Robinson has a higher ceiling.....who knows, as of now I want Robinson.

iced

Pretty much nailed it on the head, imo. Not a finished product, you're drafting for upside..

Jason Smith 2.0.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I go back and forth on who to draft.
Maybe Mathews is better now(seeing how he's a "finished" product.)
But maybe Robinson has a higher ceiling.....who knows, as of now I want Robinson.
I don't think Matthews is a finished product either he is better right now than Robinson at pass pro and could be as effective as him in run blocking, maybe not pancaking his guy every play but that is not what it takes to get it done. And, with Bou could be a perennial Pro Bowler for the next decade

MFaulk107

The Realness
I don't think Matthews is a finished product either he is better right now than Robinson at pass pro and could be as effective as him in run blocking, maybe not pancaking his guy every play but that is not what it takes to get it done. And, with Bou could be a perennial Pro Bowler for the next decade
True, pancaking is great but not always needed. Just keep the hole open for Stacy to get threw. Bou! Another reason I wouldn't mind taking Robinson instead of Matthews.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Pretty much nailed it on the head, imo. Not a finished product, you're drafting for upside..

Jason Smith 2.0.

I don't think he will be Jason Smith 2.0 but that does worry me. I think if I had the choice between him or Matthews I probably go Matthews though. But similar to Evans v Watkins I would be happy with either player.

iced

I don't think he will be Jason Smith 2.0 but that does worry me. I think if I had the choice between him or Matthews I probably go Matthews though. But similar to Evans v Watkins I would be happy with either player.

I just can't fathom the idea of drafting a Tackle with the #2 overall pick who's number one weakness is Pass Pro. I'd much rather have a Tackle with a strong pass pro and weak run game vs the other.

If they go tackle, please go matthews! No more projects! We have enough!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I prefer Matthews. I have seen no evidence that Robinson can be a top pass protecting OLT. I have seen it with Matthews.

Teams still covet OLTs in the draft and it is primarily because of their pass blocking.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I just can't fathom the idea of drafting a Tackle with the #2 overall pick who's number one weakness is Pass Pro. I'd much rather have a Tackle with a strong pass pro and weak run game vs the other.

Agree 100%

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yep I do not disagree here but he would be a very good starting OLG right now for Boudreau! I lean toward Jake Matthews who can play both sides and has played both sides very good, that can not be said about Gerald Robinson. Boudreau likes his OL'ers to be able to play many different positions that just screams Jake Matthews. It would appear that GR might need to stew for a few years @ OLG. Having two very large strong 6-5 330 plus pound OG's (Robinson/Saffold)starting for us is not a bad thing!

IF OLT Jake Long is not ready or suffers a setback in his rehabbing event and is not ready & the then the Rams go with Gerald Robinson we then will have a serious problem. Jake Matthews is ready enough to hold his own as a rookie @ OLT or ORT if need be. Once GR matures and develops he will be something to behold blocking for this Ram offense for a few years before his contract ends. Jake Matthews will provide a OT ready now with little development needed. JM is the better bargain.

Last edited:

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

How do you know it's a weakness?

I prefer Matthews. I have seen no evidence that Robinson can be a top pass protecting OLT. I have seen it with Matthews.

Teams still covet OLTs in the draft and it is primarily because of their pass blocking.

Have you seen any evidence to say he can't?

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
In the end, I'm trusting the Rams and coach Boudreau. He's seen and talked to them both first hand. Whoever he wants I'm game.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I'm not going to compare the two, but Pace was a little raw in pass pro when he was drafted. It was his second year when he stood out. Better than Robinson for sure maybe less polished than Matthews.
It's all about if a team thinks Robinson has the feet, quickness and desire to learn to play LT at a elite level, if they don't he's going to he's further down their board. It's all about upside with him. Worst he could ever be is a HOF guard.