cosell on Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
bluecoconuts said:
ScotsRam said:
I forgot you guys are All-Pro QBs in your spare time.

Hindsight is 20-20. Give it full speed on the road vs an elite team... Hostile stadium, 2 TDs down... Gimme a fucking break.

Some guys on this board are looking for problems that aren't there. It is not healthy.

Hey, I have you know I've thrown for over 10,000 yards in one season!

on madden.
Nice! I once caught over 150 balls and amassed 2,000 yards receiving in one season.

on Madden

bluecoconuts

Legend
kurtfaulk said:
ScotsRam said:

Hindsight is 20-20. Give it full speed on the road vs an elite team... Hostile stadium, 2 TDs down... Gimme a fucking break.

Some guys on this board are looking for problems that aren't there. It is not healthy.

that's what he gets paid millions to do. you don't think he would be pissed with himself after he saw that in the film room?

You know he is, Sam is a perfectionist, he's his own biggest critic.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
iced said:
It wasn't kendricks on the Jared Cook wheel route, although it was tavon austin

This was the wheel route play.. if he doesn't lock on to cook ( i don't blame him entirely, 3rd and 10, and austin dropped the 5 yard pass the play before)
I have no problem with that play at all. The coverage was on Kendricks until Sam looked away from what I can tell. Plus there is a deep safety, so pretty hard to say it would be a TD. Plus, Cook is open on the wheel with one guy on him that had to choose between Austin and Cook.

My computer (Mac) can't see jrry's pics, but i appreciate how fast you guys put them up.

iced

DR RAM said:
iced said:

This was the wheel route play.. if he doesn't lock on to cook ( i don't blame him entirely, 3rd and 10, and austin dropped the 5 yard pass the play before)
I have no problem with that play at all. The coverage was on Kendricks until Sam looked away from what I can tell. Plus there is a deep safety, so pretty hard to say it would be a TD. Plus, Cook is open on the wheel with one guy on him that had to choose between Austin and Cook.

My computer (Mac) can't see jrry's pics, but i appreciate how fast you guys put them up.

yea i don't either given the circumstances - but it definitely would have been a TD with tavon's speed and elusiveness... and he had a LOT of room to gallop. They're only stills so that's what sucks - but he just gets open more and more. sam held that thing for a bit too - the only thing i'm gonna guess is that he saw a DE dropping into coverage and figured cook was a mismatch (which he is).

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
iced said:
DR RAM said:
iced said:

yea i don't either given the circumstances - but it definitely would have been a TD with tavon's speed and elusiveness... and he had a LOT of room to gallop. They're only stills so that's what sucks - but he just gets open more and more. sam held that thing for a bit too - the only thing i'm gonna guess is that he saw a DE dropping into coverage and figured cook was a mismatch (which he is).
He has a guy underneath him, and two over him, one slightly behind. Sam made the right read, IMO. And Sam's about to get hit too from Barks side.

Coverage moves once the QB moves off of a progression, Sam didn't have time to go back to that, and why would he, all of there players were in the middle of the field.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
iced said:

Huh? I just posted the photos. It was Kendricks. :ww:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
bluecoconuts said:
ScotsRam said:

Hey, I have you know I've thrown for over 10,000 yards in one season!

on madden.
images

iced

DR RAM said:
He has a guy underneath him, and two over him, one slightly behind. Sam made the right read, IMO. And Sam's about to get hit too from Barks side.

Coverage moves once the QB moves off of a progression, Sam didn't have time to go back to that, and why would he, all of there players were in the middle of the field.

Sam never looks at the middle, he stares down Cook the whole way. And Tavon was beating his coverage, more and more. Here's a still right as it's being thrown.

The corner at the bottom stays with quick, safeties are over the top but there's guys behind him and the deep safety. I think Tavon has this - look how far off that safety is . He hasn't committed to either cook or austin yet either while austin is moving and we all know can snap into his high gear within a second.

lol looks like jared runs a wheel here too

Attachments

• austin3.jpg
    austin3.jpg
    426.4 KB · Views: 146

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
iced said:
DR RAM said:

Sam never looks at the middle, he stares down Cook the whole way. And Tavon was beating his coverage, more and more. Here's a still right as it's being thrown.

The corner at the bottom stays with quick, safeties are over the top but there's guys behind him and the deep safety. I think Tavon has this - look how far off that safety is . He hasn't committed to either cook or austin yet either while austin is moving and we all know can snap into his high gear within a second.

lol looks like jared runs a wheel here too
Of course he stares at him the whole way, it is a still photo, lol.

I'd have to see the video, but to me even in the stills, it IS the read to make. If he would have looked at the other player, coverage would have been all over him, they are already all around him, so Sam probably went this way because of his read.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
He's only human, he's gonna miss some plays, the fact of the matter is he got past it and played a good game regardless. Course he'll work on giving his progressions some more time and go through more reads, but he's gonna miss em sometimes. So does Manning, Ryan, Flacco and all those other names.

Nothing too worrying.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I like the breakdowns, and I appreciate how objective people are being about what they're seeing, but I have a couple of thoughts about still photos being used as a tool for evaluation of QBs.

1. In a still photo, you get the following benefits.
__ a. 2 hours to stare at progressions as opposed to 3 to 4 seconds
__ b. aerial shots of throwing lanes as opposed to what may or may not be there at eye level.
__ c. aerial shots of pressure as opposed to actually being pressured.
__ d. no internal clock.
__ 3. no game speed. In fact, no speed at all.

2. I challenge anyone to pick any game at random and find 4 missed opportunities (you can)

I think we're all aware that Sam has some work to do, and he isn't a finished product yet. And this is no excuse, but I cannot WAIT until he has a few of the same receivers on the same page as he is. I think it'll happen by mid-season, and it'll be at that time that we separate the wheat from the chaff as far as who the guys are that he has the most trust with (preposition ending sentence notwithstanding).

Good stuff, guys. And let's try not to view these things as undue criticism, everyone else. Nobody is saying that Sam isn't a good QB. He's clearly getting better, so that means his ceiling is still a ways off in the distance. It's all good.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
Good stuff, guys. And let's try not to view these things as undue criticism, everyone else. Nobody is saying that Sam isn't a good QB. He's clearly getting better, so that means his ceiling is still a ways off in the distance. It's all good.
this is why I am here.... it's cause of threads like this. We just don't buy into what so-called experts say, we dissect it, we review tape, post graphic evidence and discuss. What a great example of what makes ROD special.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I assume this is the interview? It's with Frank Cusumano. I haven't listened to it yet because I'm in a hotel room in Central Florida and the internet connection sucks balls.

[mp3]http://www.insidestlaudio.com/Pressbox/092013-2PB.mp3[/mp3]

WvuIN02

Starter
DR RAM said:

That's what elite QBs do. They intentionally look off a player to make people move, then go back to them for touchdowns when it opens up. Tom Brady does this with his tight ends probably better than anyone.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
WvuIN02 said:
DR RAM said:

That's what elite QBs do. They intentionally look off a player to make people move, then go back to them for touchdowns when it opens up. Tom Brady does this with his tight ends probably better than anyone.

And yet even Tom Brady leaves plays on the field. All QBs do.

Lets not act there aren't instances of Sam manipulating coverage with his eyes. I'd like to see him do it more often but he's 25 years old. Even Tom Brady and Peyton Manning weren't the guys we knew them as in their primes at 25 years old.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I've seen Drew Brees throw to a covered guy when there was a wide open guy all the time. Even the best QBs have that happen.

All I know is that we have some weapons this year, and Sam is going to put up some numbers. If our defense holds, we will win some games.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I've seem Sam look off players and to draw coverage away plenty of times, so he's definitely capable of doing it. He was doing it as a rookie.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
I assume this is the interview? It's with Frank Cusumano. I haven't listened to it yet because I'm in a hotel room in Central Florida and the internet connection sucks balls.

[mp3]http://www.insidestlaudio.com/Pressbox/092013-2PB.mp3[/mp3]

Actually, no. The one I heard was with Doug Farrar. But it was very similar to this one. So Cosell is consistent.

I watched a lot of games on NFL Rewind and one thing I did notice is that Sam is more accurate than almost every QB in the NFL. He isn't taking sacks the way he used to, those plays now are throw aways, so that hurts his completion percentage. Plus Tavon is dropping balls or missing reads and blitz pickups.

I expect Sams numbers to get much better as the season goes on. And they are decent right now.