Cortland Finnegan retires

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Signing Finnegan made sense when it happened. There is no accounting for injuries or a guy losing it. Plus the Rams roster was full of holes. They had to sign someone with ability.

In general signing younger free agents is better but most teams wrap them up. I'd still go after Wisneiwski. He is young and could use a fresh start. 4 million a year would not be over spending on him. Hudson probably brings more or gets a transition tag.

In general the role player types like Hayes are safer bets.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I wonder if he could be converted to a FS type player and would be willing to come back on a much smaller deal

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I gotta disagree. The money has to go somewhere. They just needed to do a better job of setting the floor so that teams couldn't drastically under spend like some have the past few years.

But until they do many vets are getting smaller deals, it's no secret teams want draft picks now more than ever. "Building through the draft" is more economical.

This CBA is a ten year deal, and it's 3 years old now, so nothing is going to change very soon.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But until they do many vets are getting smaller deals, it's no secret teams want draft picks now more than ever. "Building through the draft" is more economical.

This CBA is a ten year deal, and it's 3 years old now, so nothing is going to change very soon.

That will also be changing soon because IIRC the hard floor kicks in either this year or next.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
That will also be changing soon because IIRC the hard floor kicks in either this year or next.

It kicked in during the 2013 season. I just read a little bit about how it works, and it's not "cap space" it's cash spent so thee will be loopholes. If a player get a 5 year deal with a 25 MIL signing bonus it counts as 5 mil against the cap each year but the entire 25 MIL goes against that year "expenditure". So there are loopholes and we know they get used, those guys are pretty damn good at firing out accounting trickery.

But I will say this new system is WAY better than the old one. The previous system really punished teams for one or two bad picks. Man look what it did to the Raiders when they picked the trifecta of McFadden, Heywoord-Bey and of course Russell over a four or five year (can't remember exactly) period.

Good thing for them they had Cincy help them out in the Palmer trade so they didn't have to blow another high first rounder.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It kicked in during the 2013 season. I just read a little bit about how it works, and it's not "cap space" it's cash spent so thee will be loopholes. If a player get a 5 year deal with a 25 MIL signing bonus it counts as 5 mil against the cap each year but the entire 25 MIL goes against that year "expenditure". So there are loopholes and we know they get used, those guys are pretty damn good at firing out accounting trickery.

But I will say this new system is WAY better than the old one. The previous system really punished teams for one or two bad picks. Man look what it did to the Raiders when they picked the trifecta of McFadden, Heywoord-Bey and of course Russell over a four or five year (can't remember exactly) period.

Good thing for them they had Cincy help them out in the Palmer trade so they didn't have to blow another high first rounder.

Yea but that entire $25 million going against that year just means that the proration won't count in future years so I wouldn't really say you can game the system that way.

There probably are ways to game the system. I just couldn't tell you how.

But, that all said, most teams have no reason to game the system because they want to compete which means spending money.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I always liked Finney. His attitude and toughness are great things to have in a teammate. I know Fish wanted him here to help with the complete culture change that was necessary when he took over.

Too bad he couldn't continue to produce on the field.

How cool would it be to shoot the shit with him over some cold beers. Cool Dude.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Signing Finnegan made sense when it happened. There is no accounting for injuries or a guy losing it. Plus the Rams roster was full of holes. They had to sign someone with ability.

I agree with this... just wonder how much due diligence went into bringing Finnegan to the Rams.

My point being that he played for Fisher in Tennessee and Fisher loved him.

Could that have blurred Fisher's vision with regard to any other Corners on the market that year who were:
* Younger
* Cheaper

Yes... even with the highest amount of due diligence, bad things can happen.

My question is: Was the highest amount of due diligence exerciesed with Finnegan?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This. 100% this. That's why I think the Rams should avoid throwing big money around to a player this off-season. Go bargain shopping with the mid tier guys. Would rather get a solid starter for $2 to $4 million a year than a guy who has been a good starter for $7 to $10 million a year. Because I can get two or three solid starters for that price and there's less risk if they fall off a cliff.
Finally we both can fully get on board on this subject on Big UFA's signings. Can we really come up with with many successful big (NON Ram) UFA signings for this team? Maybe one Kendall Langford out of a half dozen misses? Now Kendall has been released After two 1/2 seasons as a starter. Low cost UFA signings like William Hayes, Dunbar our past few starting QB's in 2013 & 2014 & Mike Person served us better over with out any major holes in our cap.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I agree with this... just wonder how much due diligence went into bringing Finnegan to the Rams.

My point being that he played for Fisher in Tennessee and Fisher loved him.

Could that have blurred Fisher's vision with regard to any other Corners on the market that year who were:
* Younger
* Cheaper

Yes... even with the highest amount of due diligence, bad things can happen.

My question is: Was the highest amount of due diligence exerciesed with Finnegan?

Well maybe it was a lessoned learned about aging free agents. Finnegan was still playing good football in his final contract year with the Titans. He had a slight drop off but that could be due to lots of things. He did play well with the Rams at first also. Plus part of Fishers desire to have him on the team was to bring that nasty attitude to the defensive backfield......it worked but I think it was to the teams detriment.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...finnegan-takes-parting-shot-at-andre-johnson/

Retiring Cortland Finnegan takes parting shot at Andre Johnson
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 11, 2015

finneganfight1.jpg
AP

Veteran cornerback Cortland Finnegan is calling it a career.

Finnegan, who was cut by the Dolphins last week, wrote on Instagram that he has decided to retire. In his announcement, he referenced perhaps the most famous moment of his career: His on-field fight with Andre Johnson, who, according to Finnegan “hits like a bish.”

“Spent 9 years doing something I Loved and it has payed off in so many ways,” Finnegan wrote. “To say I have been blessed is an understatement I am forever thankful.. I have made my share of mistakes and had moments of glory. I even got into a fight in an NFL Game ( he hits like a bish). I’m thankful for the friends I made on and off the field love yAll.. Time to move on and enjoy new people new places and new ideas.. I forgot to thank all the haters I love yAll to.”

That’s not exactly the classiest way to say goodbye, but Finnegan has always marched to the beat of his own drummer. Now he’ll march into the sunset.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I did love him here...well that first season anyway. He basically won us that game against the Redskins in 2012 by goading Josh Morgan into throwing the ball at him.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Seems like a conclusion he should have made a while ago. He had very evidently lost it, but I can understand a guy not wanting to move on from his passion. May he have luck in his future endeavors.

Big Game

Living The Dream
Good guy made a name for himself in the NFL wish him the best in whatever he does next. It was time

jjab360

Legend
How awesome was it that he took a shot at Andre Johnson in his retirement announcement? Embodies his personality perfectly lol.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Man was a tough son of a gun as a football player. Wish him well in whatever he goes into now.

Weird aint it that these guys retire and they're SO young! And have so much money. He's a young man and a multimillionaire. What the heck do you do with the rest of your life??

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
This is the reason the players union will strike when the current CBA is finished. They will want to redo vet minimums I would guess.

If you’re an NFL veteran on the wrong side of 30 with a big cap number but without a clean bill of health, you might not want to answer your phone this week.

They thought the new rookie cap would help vets make more money because less would go to draft picks. Oooops, wrong. Teams would still rather invest on new younger players. And DSmith should be fired for structuring this deal LOL.

But as usual the players union won't be touched by the media.

A lot of people, me included, said this was not going to help veterans. I thought they should have used some of the things the NBA does. Oh well.

Now after the last of the big contract players who got huge deals as rookies are out of the system maybe that'll change, but I doubt if it changes all that much.

Good thing the CBA runs until 2021 or something like that.

I don't know about that Les. If you look at mid tier vets like Kendricks it seems they might be benefiting. $4.5 Mil is a pretty good pay check for a blocking TE.