Cortland Finnegan retires

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/02/dolphins-cut-veteran-cornerback-cortland-finnegan/

Dolphins cut veteran cornerback Cortland Finnegan
Posted by Darin Gantt on March 2, 2015

finnegan1.jpg
Getty Images

If you’re an NFL veteran on the wrong side of 30 with a big cap number but without a clean bill of health, you might not want to answer your phone this week.

According to Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald, the Dolphins have
released
cornerback Cortland Finnegan.

Finnegan played just 12 games last year because of injuries, and was due $5.475 million this season, making it an easy call for the Dolphins.

The 31-year-old Finnegan may not be quite ready for the wake, but his big-earning days are certainly behind him.

The Dolphins have cleared out a number of veteran contracts lately for cap purposes. Wide receivers Brian Hartline and Brandon Gibson got it last week, and more moves could be on the way.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd say this was Fisher's biggest mistake.

We got maybe a half season out of this guy.

Irish

Starter
Man, I loved Cortland Finnegan when he signed here. I even got a Rams player T Shirt made with his name on it.

Then he put on a Rams jersey.

Guess what my wife wears to bed, now?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man, I loved Cortland Finnegan when he signed here. I even got a Rams player T Shirt made with his name on it.

Then he put on a Rams jersey.

Guess what my wife wears to bed, now?
Hope your wife wearing it gets you more excited than Cortland wearing it did for me! LOL

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
He was awesome for a 1/2 year, and then just dropped off a cliff performance wise. The Rams might have been better off if he just stayed off the field, rather than playing hurt, or playing with whatever was wrong with him.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Won't forget him gift wrapping that win for us in Washington. Wish we had more times like that with him than him doing his best Justin King impersonation.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Injuries are the downfall of many a promising career. I loved his attitude and leadership, just wish he could have brought his skills along with him.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I'm not surprised we signed him for what we did but the Dolphins were stupid to sign him after he left. He does bring a personality to your team but that's all as of late.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Just another fine example of the usual failures in buying high priced free agents to try to elevate your NFL team.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He was awesome for a 1/2 year, and then just dropped off a cliff performance wise. The Rams might have been better off if he just stayed off the field, rather than playing hurt, or playing with whatever was wrong with him.
Orbital fracture.

I don't see any reason for anyone to hate on the guy (not insinuating that you are). He was instrumental in helping the DBs gain an edge, and he was a 100% team guy. But yeah, they could have moved Trumaine over to his spot sooner considering what was going on with his vision/depth perception, and the pain he was playing through.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Dude was a very good player when we signed him. He was in his prime.

Who would have guessed the rapid drop off? Not me. I thought he was an excellent signing.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Orbital fracture.

I don't see any reason for anyone to hate on the guy (not insinuating that you are). He was instrumental in helping the DBs gain an edge, and he was a 100% team guy. But yeah, they could have moved Trumaine over to his spot sooner considering what was going on with his vision/depth perception, and the pain he was playing through.

There was more than an orbital fracture going on with Finnegan. Jim Thomas talked about him having nagging soft tissue stuff, all the way through the off-season, but that he should be raring to go in the following season... except he wasn't. One of the first times I noticed it was the Adrian Peterson 82 yard run, which I watched and re-watched over and over trying to figure out how AP ran 82 yards while barely going outside the hash marks. Finnegan is the left CB and should have had a great angle on AP, but got passed like he was standing still; and while there is no shame in getting out-raced by Peterson, watching Finnegan ALSO get outraced by Quinn puts some perspective on how he'd slowed.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hpqlu3FmqQ

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
There was more than an orbital fracture going on with Finnegan. Jim Thomas talked about him having nagging soft tissue stuff, all the way through the off-season, but that he should be raring to go in the following season... except he wasn't. One of the first times I noticed it was the Adrian Peterson 82 yard run, which I watched and re-watched over and over trying to figure out how AP ran 82 yards while barely going outside the hash marks. Finnegan is the left CB and should have had a great angle on AP, but got passed like he was standing still; and while there is no shame in getting out-raced by Peterson, watching Finnegan ALSO get outraced by Quinn puts some perspective on how he'd slowed.

Yeah, coulda been more going on. Who knows. Players of that experience and skill don't typically drop off a cliff for no reason. Especially when they were pretty proficient a year prior.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This is the reason the players union will strike when the current CBA is finished. They will want to redo vet minimums I would guess.

If you’re an NFL veteran on the wrong side of 30 with a big cap number but without a clean bill of health, you might not want to answer your phone this week.

They thought the new rookie cap would help vets make more money because less would go to draft picks. Oooops, wrong. Teams would still rather invest on new younger players. And DSmith should be fired for structuring this deal LOL.

But as usual the players union won't be touched by the media.

A lot of people, me included, said this was not going to help veterans. I thought they should have used some of the things the NBA does. Oh well.

Now after the last of the big contract players who got huge deals as rookies are out of the system maybe that'll change, but I doubt if it changes all that much.

Good thing the CBA runs until 2021 or something like that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yea, he looks to be running like he's hurt. Although, you have to keep in mind that Quinn was already in a full sprint when Finnegan was turning to chase Peterson.

Just another fine example of the usual failures in buying high priced free agents to try to elevate your NFL team.

This. 100% this. That's why I think the Rams should avoid throwing big money around to a player this off-season. Go bargain shopping with the mid tier guys. Would rather get a solid starter for $2 to $4 million a year than a guy who has been a good starter for $7 to $10 million a year. Because I can get two or three solid starters for that price and there's less risk if they fall off a cliff.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is the reason the players union will strike when the current CBA is finished. They will want to redo vet minimums I would guess.

They thought the new rookie cap would help vets make more money because less would go to draft picks. Oooops, wrong. Teams would still rather invest on new younger players. And DSmith should be fired for structuring this deal LOL.

But as usual the players union won't be touched by the media.

A lot of people, me included, said this was not going to help veterans. I thought they should have used some of the things the NBA does. Oh well.

Now after the last of the big contract players who got huge deals as rookies are out of the system maybe that'll change, but I doubt if it changes all that much.

Good thing the CBA runs until 2021 or something like that.

I gotta disagree. The money has to go somewhere. They just needed to do a better job of setting the floor so that teams couldn't drastically under spend like some have the past few years.