Cortland Finnegan Chat Wrap

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://chat.nfl.com/front/index/1692?a_id=2

CB Cortland Finnegan
Hello, hope everyone is having a great Friday and a nice end to the work week.

Zachary Mediano, Cape Coral, FL 2:42 PM ET
Hey Cortland, I've been a Tennessee Titans fan all my life, and when you left to St. Louis, it was very depressing. How has your transition been from the Titans to the Rams?

CB Cortland Finnegan
Moving sucks. Nonetheless it has been easy because I am with a familiar coach in Coach Fisher and a lot of people around here.

Chris, StL 2:43 PM ET
I heard a rumor that your DBs coach Chuck Cecil likes to give headbutts out before games. Is that true and have you been on the receiving end of one? How crazy is coach Cecil?

CB Cortland Finnegan
Very true. He does it before every game. If you get there early enough you will see him doing it during pregame warmups.

James, Ohio 2:44 PM ET
When you were coming out of college, were you ever worried you wouldn't get a chance to prove yourself because you came from a smaller school?

CB Cortland Finnegan
In some regards I did but I had scouts at all my practices telling me good things. Whether it was the draft or free agency I knew I had at least a slim shot to extend my career.

Nathan, Collinsville, IL 2:44 PM ET
Thanks for doing this, Cortland. Aside from your relationship with Coach Fisher, what were some other things you liked about the Rams that made you want to come here?

CB Cortland Finnegan
They have an elite QB, a running back and they were a team on the rise. I knew they had some tough times but I thought with the nucleus that was here, it fit my mold for football.

Emily Young, Clarksville, IN 2:45 PM ET
Do you feel like you have to prove yourself coming into a new team and new fans? and if so, do you think your interception and touchdown helped you do that?

CB Cortland Finnegan
You always have to reprove yourself, reprove not prove each year. I just want to play like I've always played. You'll have ups and downs, hopefully it was a good sign for myself, the team and the defense but we have to learn to finish games.

David, Maryland 2:46 PM ET
What's it like being a leader in the secondary? How much do you help others like Jenkins? Good luck Sunday!

CB Cortland Finnegan
It's been great because I had vet leaders when I was a rookie. It's like a circle. I get to be a father figure but also mentor, friend, all of the above.

Laura, St. Charles 2:47 PM ET
Have you had the chance to reflect on how far you've come from little known player to such a highly valued corner? Thrilled to have you on the Rams.

CB Cortland Finnegan
No. Each and every week you have a chance to be a has been. When it's all said and done and I hang up my cleats, I'll look back on it then and see what kind of career I had.

Jacob, Missouri 2:48 PM ET
What is the attitude in the locker room like? Is it positive and confident?

CB Cortland Finnegan
We are excited. it's our home opener, Detroit is behind us. We are ready to show our fans that what they saw last week they'll get more of and that's excitment. Hopefully that translates into more victories.

Mike, St. Louis 2:48 PM ET
Cortland, Happy to have you on board. With you, JL and Chris signed long term and young guys like Quinn, Brockers, Janoris and Jo-Lonn coming along, how bright is the future for this defense?

CB Cortland Finnegan
From the sounds of it, you would hope it's very bright but that's why you play every Sunday. That's the great thing about this game, you get to prove yourself every week. You would like to think that means big things but we have to work to get better every week as a team.

Matt Sparks, Auburn, IL 2:49 PM ET
Congrats on the great game last weekend, you almost had them! I've always wanted to know, who is the one WR you HATE to defend in the NFL? Who's is one guy you haven't had the chance to defend but you'd like to?

CB Cortland Finnegan
I've defended all of them but there is not just any one I hate to defend because all of them are really good now a days. The receiver position is so talented on each team, each week is a new challenge.

Matt Sparks, Auburn, IL 2:50 PM ET
The Rams showed a lot of great signs of life last weekend. It is refreshing to see after the last few years of going to games religiously to only be disappointed with losses. What are your thoughts on the team as a whole (now that you have a game under your belt) and where do you see the team needing to improve the most going forward?

CB Cortland Finnegan
I see a team that is on the rise, playing good football. We have to finish games. After just one game, when you have somebody down, you have to finish it.

Matt Sparks, Auburn, IL 2:51 PM ET
All NFL players have ways to un-wind, lots of them play videogames. Are you a gamer and if so, what games do you play to help you wind down after a long day of practice or gameday?

CB Cortland Finnegan
Not a gamer at all. I love to bowl, shoot pool and be a dad. I love any chance I have to hang out with my daughter.

Emily, Mississippi 2:52 PM ET
Hi Cortland! Do you have any personal goals that you hope to accomplish this season?

CB Cortland Finnegan
I do but I wouldn't like to share them. It's about team goals. If I achieve my individual goals then it should help win games.

Jessica G, Kingsport, Tn 2:52 PM ET
Do you feel more at home working with coach Fisher again? Miss you with Titans but now I have another team to root for GO RAMS #31!

CB Cortland Finnegan
Absolutely. I feel at home. He gave me a chance out of college. He's always believed in me and that helps me out, gives me confidence.

mel stone, clinton utah 2:53 PM ET
who was your favorite team when you where growing up and who do you look forward to going up against this year?

CB Cortland Finnegan
The Ravens were my favorite team but I'm a players guy. I love Ray Lewis and Ed McCaffrey, Barry Sanders. There are a bunch of guys I liked growing up. I don't look forward to going against anybody.

Dan Soko, Kirkwood MO 2:54 PM ET
Cortland, how are the young cornerbacks coming along in your eyes? Janoris and Trumaine have looked great to me, I thought they were both absolute steals in the past draft. Thanks!

CB Cortland Finnegan
I think they are talented, both of them, they want to get better and are very coachable. All of those things make it easy to be the mentor and role guy for them.

Matt, Cortland, New York 2:55 PM ET
Great game Sunday versus the Lions. Really sorry to see the loss after a great effort. What was going through your head when you returned that interception for a touchdown? I know I was going nuts. Good luck the rest of the season. Love watching you and Janoris in the secondary.

CB Cortland Finnegan
Don't get caught by anyone. Don't get caught by Megatron, that's about it.

Robert Maldonado, Los angeles, CA 2:55 PM ET
How's St Luis treating you? and how do you like it?

CB Cortland Finnegan
I have enjoyed my time here so far. I haven't been out much because of work but I look forward to in February when we get to the offseason and going out and giving back.

JoolzMF, Cardiff, Wales, UK 2:56 PM ET
Hey Cortland, real glad you chose the Rams in Free Agency! Being one of the most experienced guys on the youngest team in the NFL, how much of a steal do you think we got by picking up Janoris Jenkins? On pure talent alone (for all new Cornerbacks in the league), I personally put him ahead of not just Morris Claiborne, but also all the CBs that were picked up in last years draft. I know that's a heck of a compliment to put on a guy, but do you see the kid staying committed throughout his career and going on to becoming all-pro like yourself? Thanks for your time...

CB Cortland Finnegan
I think Janoris is a talented kid, you don't see many rookie corners come in and do what he can. The game slows down to him and that's a wonderful thing. He's excellent.

Dave, Maryland 2:57 PM ET
What footwork drills do you do to get better at cornerback.

CB Cortland Finnegan
There are so many. The W drill is one you can always do.

TS, STL 2:59 PM ET
Love the attitude you bring. Question- is Cortland your real name and do you have a nickname, like "Killer C",or "Beasty".. ?

CB Cortland Finnegan
It's mainly Finny, they do Fido but I don't think I really have one. Maybe try to come up with something else.

Aaron Riddle, Somerset, PA 3:00 PM ET
What are you doing to prepare for Robert Griffen and the Redskins offense this week? My older brother(Steelers fan) thinks he is going to run all over yous. Hope you have another great game and please prove my bro wrong!!!

CB Cortland Finnegan
You practice different things that can happen. He can scramble and extend plays so you have to cover longer. But you can't simulate his speed or his throws until you see him Sunday.

Chris Mirly , Jackson, Mo 3:01 PM ET
How does it feel to play on a young team where your considered one of the veteran CB's on the team?

CB Cortland Finnegan
Yeah. It is weird to think I am the veteran but nonetheless. it's a good thing to be older and in the NFL. That means you have been around for awhile.

CB Cortland Finnegan
Thank you everyone for tuning in. Look forward to doing this more often. You all have a blessed Friday.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
U jelly?

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Iron Lion said:
Dirtiest player in the NFL. Coming from a Lions fan that has to be bad. :grr:

Umm yea ok dude. And since Fish coached him up from the start of his career then Fish must be the dirty dirt of NFL coaches,right?

Iron Lion

Starter
X said:
Of course, I want all the dirty players. I want James Harrison for our LBs, FinFinFinnegan for the DBs and leave Suh on the line, that will be a hell of a defense lol.

BatteringRambo said:
Iron Lion said:

Umm yea ok dude. And since Fish coached him up from the start of his career then Fish must be the dirty dirt of NFL coaches,right?

Actually yes. If you recall Fisher came up with the Bears, a notoriously dirty team, then left with Buddy Ryan to Philly, who were notoriously dirty on defense under him (see the body bags game), and then of course Fisher has lots of history with Gregg Williams.

Also Fisher is putting a pretty dirty defense on the field from what I saw week 1. I'm "putting my foot down" on this issue...

suh-stomp2.jpg

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Sounds like a guy who has his priorities straight , I'd have liked to ask him if he'd had much contact with Aeneas.
IMO he and Aeneas are the perfect "peer /mentor " combo for Janoris.
If JJ falls off the edge it won't be because he didn't have good company.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Iron Lion said:

I thought Finnegan was a dirty player too, looking in from the outside. He really isnt tho. He just likes to mind f*** his matchup. He does whatever he can to get in their head. If they dont like press coverage, he's gonna jam them as hard as he can off the line. If they run a sloppy route he's gonna let em hear it. etc

Thats not a dirty player.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Suh, Harrison, incognito are all far dirtier than Finnegan.

Iron Lion

Starter
Guys I'm not saying it's bad to be a dirty player. Just saying if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck. Just go with it, it is going to be easier on you that way.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Iron Lion said:
Guys I'm not saying it's bad to be a dirty player. Just saying if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck. Just go with it, it is going to be easier on you that way.
I'll agree the way he pushed Morgan was how you put "dirty" but if it's gonna give us a W in the final seconds, well, I sure don't mind... :twisted:

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Iron Lion said:
There's far too much use of the word "dirty" for players who walk the borders. I prefer to think of Finnegan as a player with an edge. As in advantage.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:

Nathan, Collinsville, IL 2:44 PM ET
Thanks for doing this, Cortland. Aside from your relationship with Coach Fisher, what were some other things you liked about the Rams that made you want to come here?

CB Cortland Finnegan
They have an elite QB, a running back and they were a team on the rise. I knew they had some tough times but I thought with the nucleus that was here, it fit my mold for football.
Great stuff.