Corner pocket: Gaines gets call from Rams while shooting pool --PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Corner pocket: Gaines gets call from Rams while shooting pool
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_046c38a4-116d-56f3-a4d5-499a4eb3fe00.html

Count University of Missouri cornerback E.J. Gaines among those who thought he’d get drafted somewhere in the middle rounds. But as Day 2 slipped into Day 3 of the NFL draft, Gaines had yet to get the call.

It reached a point where he just had to get away from the television and out of the house.

“I went to a pool hall and shot pool with my dad, my mom, my sisters, and my best friends,” said Gaines, who’s from Kansas City.

Gaines, the self-proclaimed best shooter in the family, said he was “having a good pool day; not a good draft day” at a Lee’s Summit establishment known as Side Pockets. Gaines had his cell phone at hand all day, even bringing a portable phone charger along just in case.

The phone finally rang, with coach Jeff Fisher on the line. The Rams were taking Gaines with their first of two selections in the sixth round, No. 188 overall. The wait was over.

After Gaines got the call, he asked the proprietors of Side Pockets to turn on the television, so he and the rest of his crew could watch him get drafted on live television a couple of minutes later. The billiard outing turned into a draft party.

“Everyone was crazy,” Gaines said. “I couldn’t go back and concentrate on pool. I actually sat down with my family for dinner. The managers and everybody at Side Pockets knew who I was, so they were all excited for me.”

So that celebration dinner was on the house, compliments of the folks at Side Pockets. Gaines had a grilled chicken sandwich.

Gaines was as surprised as anyone to be drafted by St. Louis. He never talked to them much in the pre-draft process. He did talk to assistant head coach Dave McGinnis after Mizzou’s March 20 pro day in Columbia. But usually a team that has sincere interest in a prospect will send its position coach to the pro day, and the Rams did not sent one of their secondary coaches.

“They didn’t, so that’s why it was a surprise when I got the call from Coach Fisher,” Gaines said. “I didn’t expect to come here. I didn’t expect to get a call from them. But I when I did, I was just as excited as anybody else.”

Gaines, who played at Fort Osage High in Independence, Mo., is close to home. His family will be able to catch all of his home games on the other side of the state. He joins three former Mizzou teammates on the Rams’ offseason roster: center/guard Tim Barnes, wide receiver T.J. Moe and seventh-round pick defensive end Michael Sam.

Moe is just one year removed from Mizzou, and Barnes overlapped with Gaines in college.

“I’m actually good friends with Tim,” Gaines said. “He was there my freshman year, and he comes back to Mizzou since he’s right down the street. So, I’ve talked to him quite a bit since he’s been with the Rams.”

Gaines may not have known it at the time, but the Rams not only knew who he was during the draft process but were interested enough in his services that they considered trading up for him on Day 3 of the draft.

“We had made an attempt earlier, had considered him earlier,” Fisher said. “At one time, we just said: ‘You know what? Let’s sit back and wait.’ That’s when we got E.J., which was nice. Instead of using picks to go get him, we said, ‘Let’s hold pat.’ We did a little research and felt he might fall, and then you’re able to utilize more picks in the seventh.”

As result, the Rams were able to keep their two “trade-able” picks in the seventh round, and used them to take Portland State offensive tackle Mitchell Van Dyk and Ohio State safety Christian Bryant.

(Compensatory picks — and the Rams had two of them later in the seventh — cannot be traded.)

At 5-10, 190 pounds, Gaines is on the small side for an NFL cornerback. At Mizzou’s pro day he ran a decent, but not great, 40 time of 4.51 seconds. But the film showed a tough, productive player for the Tigers.

“I definitely like being physical, and I think that’s something that Coach Fisher likes about me,” Gaines said.

He started his final 37 games at Missouri and was named to the Southeastern Conference first-team by both the coaches and media in 2013, finishing second on the team with 75 tackles, while recording five interceptions and returning a fumble recovery for a touchdown.

“He’s a good zone player, a good effort player, a solid tackler,” Fisher said. “He shows man-to-man skills, and he’s a good athlete. We had some spots available at the position so we feel like he’s got a chance to come in and not only compete, but also do some things on special teams for us.”

In the team’s evaluation system, general manager Les Snead said Gaines was given a green dot for value as a coverage man on special teams.

Gaines, by the way, showed he can play much bigger than his size, limiting 6-5, 231-pound Texas A&M receiver Mike Evans to four catches for eight yards in a 28-21 Mizzou victory last season.

“To see him go in the first round (No. 7 overall to Tampa Bay) and see me go in the sixth is a little crazy to me,” Gaines said. “But like I said, it’s a blessing.”

A blessing to be in the NFL, since he finally got the call.

FRO

Legend
I couldn't believe he fell that far. I thought he was a third or fourth round guy. I think he we be a solid player for us. Not an ordinary sixth round pick.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I couldn't believe he fell that far. I thought he was a third or fourth round guy. I think he we be a solid player for us. Not an ordinary sixth round pick.
I am much impressed by the talent we have added to the CB position. Although most of what we have brought in is on the smaller side, the "talent" added is much much better than what we were looking at a few months ago. If the two UDFA guys (Reid and Roberson) can make the team .... WOW!

Slappy967

Starter
I love that we found so much talent fall into our laps in the late rounds. That talent getting overlooked is going to inspire these guys to play with a Richard Sherman sized chip on their shoulders and that will only help our cause.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Gaines is a good player. CB was a major concern for me heading into draft weekend... Still a concern... But I feel a lot better.

FRO

Legend
I am much impressed by the talent we have added to the CB position. Although most of what we have brought in is on the smaller side, the "talent" added is much much better than what we were looking at a few months ago. If the two UDFA guys (Reid and Roberson) can make the team .... WOW!
Yeah we are on the smaller side, but we got good players. I think that's why Gaines was there in the 6th was because of his size. Give me the guy that's good at football over the guy with size.

Also Fisher's best CB in Tennessee was Finnegan, who was undersized. Verner who Williams got playing at a high level was also undersized. Let's hope they can continue the trend.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Yeah we are on the smaller side, but we got good players. I think that's why Gaines was there in the 6th was because of his size. Give me the guy that's good at football over the guy with size.

Also Fisher's best CB in Tennessee was Finnegan, who was undersized. Verner who Williams got playing at a high level was also undersized. Let's hope they can continue the trend.

Yeah, we're on the "smallish" side alright. Between the RB's, most WR's and Safety's, we might consider their nick name as "the midget brigade". BTW, I'm fine with smaller scrappy players, especially if they're athletic. But if I were the opponent, I'd load the receiver core with wide out's & TE's above 6'3' and turn em loose. I donno, I recall the USC-Texas national championship game in 06. Ultimately, USC lost because of their smaller and lighter defense. Who, once they ran out of gas late in the 4th Q, were push overs for the over sized Young...it was like boys trying to tackle a man and as a result, the last 5 minutes is history.

So, with all that said, who's going to cover the Megatron's of the world?