Corner Play: the Long Ball against Rams D in 2013

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I think this article shows that we need a 1st round-quality corner. I would love to have Jenkins as a slot corner, and/or a healthy Greg Reid. Jenkins isn't a 'playoff' corner--at least as 2013 looks...

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/4/25/5654486/st-louis-rams-more-big-pass-plays-allowed

St. Louis Rams: [More] Big Pass Plays Allowed

By Brandon Bate  @NoPlanB_ on Apr 25 2014, 7:41p 16

Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports

The St. Louis Rams gave up some big pass plays on defense in 2013. We covered the plays in Weeks 1-8 already, so have a look at the twelve plays of 25 [or more] yards given up in the second half of the season...

The Rams’ defense gave up eight plays of 25+ yards in the first half of the 2013 season. That wouldn’t improve in the back half. In fact, the number of pass plays of 25 or more yards increased, from eight in Week 1-8, to twelve in Weeks 9-17. Let’s have a closer look...

And for those playing catch-up, the aforementioned passing plays allowed in the first half of the season can be viewed here [enter at your own risk].

To Recap Weeks 1-8, the Rams allowed:

* A 44-yd completion to Michael Floyd in Week 1
* An 81-yd TD catch to Julio Jones in Week 2
* A 42-yd completion to Anquan Boldin in Week 4
* A 67-yd TD catch to Justin Blackmon in Week 5
* A 28-yd completion to Cecil Shorts III in Week 5
* A 41-yd completion to Arian Foster in Week 6
* A 25-yd completion to Greg Olsen in Week 7
* An 80-yd [wave bye bye] TD catch to Golden Taint in Week 8

...some pretty impressive names on this list. You almost expect big plays from these types of players. There were more than a couple non-household names that made the list in the second half of the 2013 season.

Without further ado...

Week 9: Tennessee Titans at St. Louis Rams

Cortland Finnegan bites on the play-action pass, and Jake Locker rifles the ball toKendall Wright through a tight window between Alec Ogletree and James Laurinaitis. The Rams’ middle linebacker has a chance to make the tackle at the Titans’ 31-yard line, but fails to stop Wright. McLeod would eventually drag him down, 28 yards after initial contact.

Result of the Play: 45-yd completion to Kendall Wright. 1st down at the Rams’ 41-yd line.

Week 10: St. Louis Rams at Indianapolis Colts

The dump off. Andrew Luck gets the ball out to Donald Brown in the flat. Ogletree over-runs the play, leaving Matt Conrath, Laurinaitis, and Darian Stewart to pursue. Brown was simply too fast for that trio. Janoris Jenkins was able to force him out just shy of the end zone.

Result of the Play: 26-yd completion to Donald Brown. 1st and goal on the Rams’ 4-yd line.

Same game...completely different set of circumstances. This double move...

T.Y. Hilton would catch the ball at midfield, while Jenkins is still try to regain his balance. Rodney McLeod is still 5+ yards away from making the stop...which he didn’t do. As you can see in the graphic below, the saving grace on this play may have actually been that McLeod [who is facing his own end zone] was cutting back inside. Doing so prompted Hilton to cut back towards the sideline, losing his balance, and ultimately tackling himself. This one could have gone the distance.

C:\Users\STEVEB~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image002.gif

Result of the Play: 65-yd completion to T.Y. Hilton. 1st down at the Rams’ 14-yd line.

Week 12: Chicago Bears at St. Louis Rams

The Bears line up in a two-TE set, with Martellus Bennett just outside left tackleJermon Bushrod. He finds a pretty sizable cushion approximately ten yards beyond the line of scrimmage and cuts into space towards the nearest sideline. Laurinaitis probably expects to have some help over the top, but Rams’ safety T.J. McDonald is slow to react, as seen in this graphic:

McDonald is still backpedaling on the play. McCown, as you can see, already has his arm cocked back, and throws a strike to the wide open tight end. McDonald would ultimately make the tackle.

Result of the Play: 37-yd completion to Martellus Bennett. First and goal at the Rams’ 7-yd line.

Week 13: St. Louis Rams at San Francisco 49ers

Not quite as nasty, but Michael Crabtree breezes past Trumaine Johnson with a nice double move. After that it was pretty much just a foot race down the sideline. McDonald and Johnson were able to prevent Crabtree from going the distance, but the 49ers moved the ball from 20 to 20 with relative ease.

Result of the Play: 60-yd completion to Michael Crabtree. 1st and 10 at the Rams’ 20-yd line.

Week 14: St. Louis Rams at Arizona Cardinals

T.J. McDonald shows blitz, but gets caught off guard by the snap and immediately falls a few paces behind TE Rob Housler who’s cutting across the field into space. Carson Palmer throws a beautiful pass, hitting Housler in stride, and allowing him to cut upfield. If that ball is thrown anywhere else, this play probably ends with an incompletion. McLeod makes the tackle just beyond midfield.

Result of the Play: 31-yd completion to Rob Housler. 1st and 10 on the Rams’ 49-yd line.

Same game...different receiver...another nice pass from Palmer.

Cardinals WR Jaron Brown beats Jenkins down the sideline. Again, the toss by Palmer is exactly where it needed to be. Jenkins makes a pretty nice breakup attempt on the play. So good, he actually thought he did...
Result of the Play: 32-yd completion to Jaron Brown. 1st and goal on the Rams’ 10-yd line.

Week 15: New Orleans Saints at St. Louis Rams

Saints’ WR Lance Moore runs out toward the far sideline [at the line of gain] before quickly cutting back up field into space. McLeod accompanies Moore to the sideline, but then gives up on the coverage at the Rams’ 45-yd line. Moore catches the pass from Drew Brees with defenders essentially ten yards in front of - and behind - him. Janoris Jenkins would ultimately make the stop.

Result of the Play: 30-yd completion to Lance Moore. 1st down at the Rams’ 26-yd line.

Same game, different receiver. Another dump takes up a sizable chunk of the field...

This is a well-designed play, and great recognition by Brees. Left tackle, Charles Brown, allows Rams’ DE Eugene Sims a free shot at the QB. In doing so, he’s able to pick up a block on Laurinaitis, who recognizes the screen and is in pursuit. Pierre Thomas then has plenty of space to run, with OG Ben Grubbs as his lead blocker. As you can see in the graphic below, the Rams were in no position to stop this play chewing up yardage [the dark spot inside the blue circle is the football]. McLeod would have the first shot at tackling Thomas...he’s 30 yards away when Thomas catches the ball. Ogletree never gave up on the play, and his speed allowed him to run Thomas down from behind.

Result of the Play: 28-yard completion to Pierre Thomas. 1st down at the Rams’

Week 16: Tampa Bay Buccaneers at St. Louis Rams

It’s easy to look right at McLeod on this play, but pay close attention to the top [sideline] side of the GIF. The Rams bring pressure, leaving one-on-one coverage for the Rams’ DBs. Bucs WR Chris Owusu smokes Janoris Jenkins off the line, forcing T.J. McDonald to pursue. Doing so opened up the middle of the field, and McLeod, who needed help from McDonald, was lucky that Glennon wasn’t able to hit Vincent Jackson in stride. Otherwise, this play goes for six.
Result of the Play: 30-yd completion to Vincent Jackson. 1st and goal at the Rams’ 3-yd line.

Week 17 [as tradition would have it]: St. Louis Rams at Seattle Seahawks

You probably saw this coming. My apologies...

I’m not even sure this play is anything more than a sheer display of trust between a QB and his WR. Russell Wilson chucks this ball up in the air, and has full confidence that Golden Taint is going to come down with it. Why wouldn’t he? Taint feasted on the Rams last year, posting 222 of his 898 receiving yards and three of his five TD’s against them. Here’s another look at the play...where Jenkins simply over-ran the ball.

Result of the Play: 47-yd TD pass to Golden Taint

Follow Brandon Bate on Twitter at

Our DB's got torched all year long its the must improve area of this team if we are to win anything IMO

by Rammon2015 on Apr 25, 2014 | 7:50 PM reply

C:\Users\STEVEB~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image003.jpg

I’ll admit...

prior to going back and looking at these plays, I probably wouldn’t have agreed with you.

CB never seemed all that big of a need to me. And while I think we’ve got two young guys who can play very well [at times], there’s certainly room for improvement.

Thanks for stopping’ by, Rammon

Follow me on Twitter at @NoPlanB_

by Brandon Bate on Apr 25, 2014 | 8:04 PM up reply

C:\Users\STEVEB~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image004.jpg

There will be more big pass plays allowed by our opponents if we draft this guy :),

"I tried to think ... But nothin' happened." Curly (Nuck, Nuck, Nuck)
Genius = Frank Dobozy, aka, Dubs :)
I think, really therfore I am ... a fan of Dubs, Knoxie, Ramdude, Todd Goslin, Sparty & Whirledpeas. :)
StayCalm&SnisherOn

by ramsrock on Apr 25, 2014 | 10:48 PM up reply

C:\Users\STEVEB~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image005.jpg

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but...

I love the idea of drafting Watkins. Sadly, Brian Schottenheimer loves the idea of ruining his professional career. If you love him, you’ll let him go…

by Brandon Bate on Apr 25, 2014 | 10:54 PM up reply

This makes me wish we could've somehow gotten Tyrann Mathieu so much.

We NEED that speed. Mcleod and McDonald just looked lost half the time. JJ’s super aggressive playing didn’t help either. I’m starting to think Gilbert or Dennard at 13 might not be a bad idea.

by jbish43 on Apr 25, 2014 | 8:24 PM reply

by VETT on Apr 26, 2014 | 5:32 AM up reply

C:\Users\STEVEB~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image007.jpg

Rec'd… & loved your anti-tackling article "BB" !

A real press CB & Safety help.

*** go...... Long ***

Go RAMs !!!

by VETT on Apr 26, 2014 | 5:36 AM up reply

C:\Users\STEVEB~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image008.jpg

ahhhh, this Is the DC I know, and love...Fine work brotha.....

Now, does anyone else see the need for Gilbert/Roby at 13? a real press corner….with a hard hitting safety (Bucannon) to pair with TJ…..need better athletes…move Jenkins to the slot…Best 2 of the 3 (Gilbert, JJ, 0r Tru) start…simple…plus a mad DT to push the middle..I’d love a OLB with ability as well…but I request too much.

KeepCalm&SneadOn

by LA Champ on Apr 25, 2014 | 9:58 PM reply

thanks brotha

Honestly, I think I started this whole “big pass plays allowed” thing because I wanted to find an excuse to draft another free safety. McLeod isn’t the problem, though, and that’s not to say we can’t upgrade. But damn if we don’t need some help/depth at CB, though. I was always down for one in the 2nd….but now, I’d have to consider taking one in the first a win for the team.

by Brandon Bate on Apr 25, 2014 | 10:10 PM up reply

you dont want much do you Champ lol wish we could get all of that

by Rammon2015 on Apr 25, 2014 | 10:23 PM up reply

C:\Users\STEVEB~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image009.jpg

I can agree with ya Champ

Put our corners in press coverage and you’ll see an improvement. Soft is soft and good QB’s will eat young corners for dinner. Gilbert wouldn’t hurt either.

Remembering Dick Enberg's call "Gabrial to Snow, TOUCHDOWN Rams". I don't feel that old!

by OCRamsFan on Apr 26, 2014 | 12:56 AM up reply

Most of this was just bad tackling

We must improve

"I am God"
-Zlatan Ibrahimović
Keepcalm&Snisheron

by bambamrams on Apr 26, 2014 | 12:26 AM reply

C:\Users\STEVEB~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image009.jpg

Great article DC Rec'd

It points out our major weakness, the defensive calls and the scheme. Week 12 we’re in cover 1 with a rookie trying to figure out where he needs to be (McDonald). He’s playing 35 yards off and breaks right or the wrong way and doesn’t notice Bennett going to the middle of the field. Tough assignment for a rookie. Then the 10 yard cushions Walton deployed were exactly what these experienced QB’s dream of and with the inexperience of our CB’s made for easy pickins. JJ got caught being over aggressive at times but he will get better. We’re not going to be able to contain every deep ball but the obvious corrections will be made this year with Williams.

Remembering Dick Enberg's call "Gabrial to Snow, TOUCHDOWN Rams". I don't feel that old!

by OCRamsFan on Apr 26, 2014 | 12:43 AM reply