Corey Coleman

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Did anyone get to scout him? I didn't get to watch very many Baylor games, in fact, I saw one.

What do you guys think of him? Is he Brandin Cooks, or Donnie Avery?

If he somehow falls to the second round do you trade up for him, or stay put and draft someone else? The scouting reports I've read are all over the place on him. I watched some highlights, but that's not enough to form an opinion. I did read that he can run routes very well, but Baylor just had him run a ton of go routes to take advantage of his speed. Not sure how true that is. Opinions?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This guy at rotoviz thinks that this years #1 most freakish athlete in college football compares to Santonia Holmes, Kendell Wright, or Golden Taint more than the two you name. A couple of the NFL guys like Jeremiah say Coleman is there number 1 WR in this draft. Fisher and Snead love the super athletic types, so maybe Coleman is one of the receivers that supposedly peaked their interest this year.

http://rotoviz.com/2015/10/corey-coleman-system-wr-elite-prospect/

Baylor’s Corey Coleman: System WR or Elite Prospect?
Jon Moore 2015-10-08
October 8, 2015 | By Jon Moore

corey-coleman-cover-photo.jpg

Through four games this year, Corey Coleman has 11 touchdown receptions.

During the entire 2014 college football season only 19 players matched that feat.

There’s no question that Corey Coleman is an outstanding college receiver. The question has become “what caliber of pro prospect is Coleman?”

Continuing my series of college prospect profiles, let’s put Corey Coleman under the microscope to see how his college career compares to other similar prospects, and to some of the most dominant undersized touchdown scorers in recent memory.

Little Men with Big Touchdown Numbers
To date, Corey Coleman has played in 26 career games and scored 24 total touchdowns, giving him a career touchdowns-per-game rate of 0.92.

Of BCS/Power-5 conference receivers since 2004, only two in the sub-6-foot-200 pound club have surpassed that figure: Stedman Bailey (1.05) and Ryan Broyles (0.94).

Maybe those guys aren’t exactly inspiring comparisons, but I think invoking their names is helpful for two reasons; first, because they were both top 100 draftees and, second, because Corey Coleman’s career has been more impressive than theirs. Here is how their careers compare in terms of age and market share of receiving yards.

To summarize, Corey Coleman got on the field sooner than Bailey or Broyles, was signficiantly better in his age 20 season, and is on pace to be much better in his age 21 season.

Athletically, it is believed that Coleman will be far superior to both of these players, as he was recently named NFL.com’s #1 most freakish athlete in college football. Compare this to Ryan Broyles, who tore his left ACL during his senior season and his right ACL during his rookie season, and to Stedman Bailey who ran a 4.52 forty with just a 34.5 inch vertical and 117 inch broad jump, and it’s easy to see that the main commonalities between Coleman, Broyles and Bailey is their touchdown dominance, size, and conference; everywhere else Coleman is superior. At the very least, if Bailey and Broyles did enough in their college career to be top 100 picks, so has Corey Coleman.

Coleman’s NFL comparables
Three guys who I think are pretty similar prospects to Coleman are Santonio Holmes, Kendall Wright, and Golden Taint. These comparables were found by looking for players from major programs with at least 24 career touchdowns 1 and similar body types.

Both Holmes and Taint have posted 150+ point fantasy seasons, and Wright is trending in that direction so far in 2015. Here is how their college careers compare:

You can see that Wright and Holmes started their careers better than Coleman, but as we move toward the final data points for each player, the foursome is pretty tightly bunched, with Coleman, Holmes and Taint being nearly identical while Wright is a fraction beneath them.

Unsurprisingly, their draft selections were all in a pretty similar range as well. Kendall Wright went 20th overall, Santonio Holmes 25th overall, and Golden Taint 60th overall. I’m not sure why Taint wasn’t selected higher; maybe due to his marginally worse athleticism? But if it cuts that way for Taint, I’d think it would only help Coleman’s stock, who is supposed to be an athletic marvel. Here’s a quick look.2
WR Ht Wt 40 Vert 3cone
Kendall Wright 5'10 196 4.49 38.5 6.93
Santonio Holmes 5'10 188 4.35 38 6.82
Golden Taint 5'10 199 4.42 35 7.12
Corey Coleman (reported) 5'11 190 4.38 45 6.62

In summary, Corey Coleman looks like an elite small-receiver prospect who is worthy of being drafted in the bottom half of the first round. His age 20 breakthrough is perhaps a little later than what we would ideallys like, but the athleticism, draft comparables and dominant production all seem to foreshadow a strong WR2-type fantasy asset.

Have a look at him in this DraftBreakdown video against Oklahoma in 2014 and let me know what you think.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
He is an elite athlete, and can win in the big and small receiver game. However, people are concerned about the system he came from playing Baylors spread.

There will always be transition from College to the pros that's why I try to focus on traits when I scout a college player. If a player has good traits at his position and good football character they usually can make that leap. The better those traits are the easier the transition

I don't know about his football character but I know he has elite athletic traits for a WR that will make him successful in the NFL.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rams have struggled to develop the raw receivers. Coleman has a really high ceiling, he's an elite athlete no doubt. But can the Rams bring that out?

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Incredible athletic potential. A guy that quick with a 45 vertical who plays "big". I think he'll be a star but of course I haven't sat in any interviews with him so don't know anything about his football iq.

I wouldn't be put off by any Brian Quick comparisons. Quick was slow to develop because of a huge transition system and complexity wise - but he was getting there and then just got derailed by a horrible injury. If you want a sure thing (of which there are none) you might be better to go with Treadwelll as a possession guy who you can isolate against a cornerback and have him go up and catch the high balls and back shoulder throws that we haven't had in a long, long time, but Coleman can also be a good player in this league.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
He's too small for what the rams need, they have plenty of small receivers.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If you want a sure thing (of which there are none) you might be better to go with Treadwelll as a possession guy who you can isolate against a cornerback and have him go up and catch the high balls and back shoulder throws that we haven't had in a long, long time

Agreed. Doctson and Boyd both also have great hands. Doctson adds the body control and catching radius that's gonna play huge in the NFL.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO, the problem with Coleman is the Baylor system. They run a very limited route tree, they don't ask their WRs to block, and their WRs often don't run routes when they aren't on the side of the field where the ball is being thrown. From the standpoint of route running and understanding the complexities necessary to operate a NFL system, Coleman is light years behind a guy like Tyler Boyd.

However, Coleman is an absolutely freakish athlete. We're talking 4.3 40 with a 40+ inch vertical and the agility to break ankles in the open-field. There was a play against West Virginia this year where Coleman hurdled a defender, then juked the next defender after he landed, and then accelerated away from the rest of the defense to pick up another 20+ yards.

His hands can be inconsistent. He drops some passes. He drops more passes than you'd want. But that's not fatal. His hands aren't bad. I'd call them average. Maybe slightly below average. But he's such a playmaker that you can probably live with it. My big concern with him is the transition from Baylor's offense.

West Virginia play:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2qkTGxXEug

tahoe

Pro Bowler
The Rams already have a small freak athlete that had a limited route tree, Tavon Austin. Id much rather have Treadwell, Doctson, or Boyd.