Coples Cut...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like the Rams are only out 750K. Worth the shot I guess.

Not that the Rams couldn't use the depth but they had already re-signed endsWilliam Hayes and Eugene Sims. The Rams went ahead and added to their group by bringing the former first-round pick on board with a deal that guarantees just $750,000. The deal is also voidable after one year if Coples meets certain requirements.

Here's a breakdown of Coples' contract with all numbers courtesy of ESPN Stats & Information:

Base salary: $1.75 million

Roster bonus: $1.25 million ($750,000 is fully guaranteed and paid on 10th day of league year. The other $500,000 is payable in increments of $31,250 per game on the 46-man active roster)

Cap charge: $3 million

Cash: $3 million

Base salary: $3.25 million

Roster bonus: $250,000

Cap charge: $3.5 million

Cash: $3.5 million

Some Free Agent contracts still require that the guarantee doesn't kick in unless you make the team, hopefully that's how this is written. jmo.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Coples had a 3rd-and-1 stuff in the first preseason game by penetrating into the backfield, but otherwise seemed pretty lost, especially about gap discipline. I thought the Rams would keep him because GW loves pressure linemen and combined with Easely the two could equal one Nick Fairley, with Easely providing better run stability. Basically I saw Coples as a lesser, redundant version of Easely -- very similar to how Sims has been to Hayes all these years -- so I'm a little surprised they got rid of him, but roster numbers don't give the luxury of backups to backups everywhere I guess. It's guaranteed Easely will be injured at some point, they must feel Westbrooks and Longacre can slide down into the middle and do an adequate job when that happens. Or perhaps there's still a chance for Fat Cam or even a Pot Roast addition if they are worried about the defense girth against the run, which I don't think they are. I think it's all about high motor, quickness, strength and gap discipline, and Coples just didn't seem to get with the program.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
6'6 290 rams saw him as a DT not a DE, he got beat out by Cam Thomas after getting most of the second team DT reps with Easley game 1, Cam Thomas outplayed him the rest of the way.

Only a few more questions to answer on the D line.
Do the Rams keep Cam Thomas as the 4th DT?
Do the Rams keep longacre as a 5th DE?
Does Longacre overtake Westbrook or Simms?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
6'6 290 rams saw him as a DT not a DE, he got beat out by Cam Thomas after getting most of the second team DT reps with Easley game 1, Cam Thomas outplayed him the rest of the way.

I'd guess that Cam is in unless some high quality cut lands in our lap.
Longacre has to be a slam dunk imo.
Westbrook is in.
My next battle pits Sims against Seau, with Sims holding the slight lead. jmo.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Did Coples even play this preseason? I'm sure he did but I sure can't think of noticing him which says a lot. Now Westbrook, Easley, Seau, and Longacre I noticed as far as backups are concerned.
This is going to be an epic battle between these four with Westbrook and Longacre having the edge.curious how it plays out!

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas

check-mark-th.png

check-mark-th.png

Does Longacre overtake Westbrook or Simms?[/QUOTE] Simms = cut-bait

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
My next battle pits Sims against Seau, with Sims holding the slight lead. jmo.

Simms is way better against the run and Seau beating 3s isn't all that impressive. Simms is a Fish favorite with a new contract, so I think he's good and certainly wont get beat out by an UDFA. Maybe if they only keep 4 DEs Longacre could beat him out, but otherwise he is probably in good shape.

Rams need Cam Thomas for his size, great back up for Brockers and he has played very hard to this point in preseason.

A 4th DT isn't a lock because they aren't active on game days. Rams haven't had a backup NT in forever, and frequently only keep 3 DTs because Simms, Westbrooks, and Hayes can all play inside.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
I think Longacre and Seau make the final roster.

Michael Brockers, Aaron Donald, William Hayes, Robert Quinn, Ethan Westbrooks, Dominique Easley, Cam Thomas, Matt Longacre, Ian Seau,

Out: Eugene Sims, (Morgan Fox,practice squad, Zach Colvin, practice squad)

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/a-few-players-that-i-doubt-make-the-53.45937/page-5#post-781441
Posted this this past weekend
.....here on Coples, just reroute them to last nights game as exhibit #1 as evidence that Coples is not sound or solid back up Brockers. Cam Thomas may be a bona fide ugly looking, boring non special DL'er but he does fill this teams needs in a back up NT.

While Coples is a beautiful looking DL'er with athletic abilities beyond most & might be a good rotational DL'er in time it needs to be pointed out we already have PROVEN DL'ers like Eugene Sims, Wm Hayes, Dom Easley & Ethan Westbrooks all who have played much better in the rotational inside roles than Coples....Now which of before the mentioned DL'ers do you want to kick to the curb for Coples

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads...-23-defense-under-williams.45892/#post-779077

Posted this last week

DE Chris Long's roster spot replacement Quinton Coples will be a good cost to keep...thus far in TC he has displayed fully he takes about a 10 to 11 yard to get to the QB on his pass rush route from the DE post. Did not take long for Gregg to figure that out. He should have called Miami & the Jets & asked more questions on why they did not let Coples start @ DE. So he has been moved inside thus throwing Ethan Westbrooks out to the DE post that Coples was purchased to play. Coples looks to be a much better interior DL'er than exterior so most here thinks that the problem is solved. Not so, cuz problem here for Gregg has no need for the play that Coples brings @ DT. ZERO need here. If you think I am wrong here PLEASE ask me after you make your case for why he needs to make this 53 player roster...then I will respond fully to you. Bottom line Coples was purchased to play DE not DT.

Congrats BonifayRam! Your the winner of the "Special Person of the day" award
1906-2T.jpg
0O-HefMHNwemt4gnJ4YfNq3xFaTBaiFcwIRiUpzDZ1KObI8ptEMgoHOSDiy_tumRWexz=w300

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I think Simms is safe. He is a versatile backup, better than Longacre.

Sorry to disagree, I see Longacre as I did Kevin Greene . Give the man playing time and he simply produces better than his pedigree. I've yet to see him disappoint. Sims is average at best but sturdy depth. Longacre is a difference maker

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He got a lot of reps, but he just didn't seem to play hard, IMO. Maybe, he didn't like the switch. You are right, it was like he wasn't out there.

After he signed he was beaming about how he was finally in a system that was tailored to his strengths as a de. Then he found himself playing as a dt. He took his guaranteed money and went through the motions. Will try again somewhere else.

Bruce2980

Starter
Thanks to your lousy memory, I just learned something. I had assumed Coples would have cost the Rams more than that, but I sure wasn't going to look it up, ha.

Ram65

Legend
I'm just not the biggest Simms fan. Last year 9 starts and 1 sack with 2 passes defended. I know sacks aren't the complete measure of a DE. It seems like he doesn't get the pressures he should. If he doesn't pick it up he may see a lot less time in the rotation with the others coming on.

http://www.nfl.com/player/eugenesims/1037852/profile