Coples Cut...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Good. I was having a hard time seeing him make the final 53 - this way he has a shot to get picked up elsewhere

Psycho_X

Legend
Did Coples even play this preseason? I'm sure he did but I sure can't think of noticing him which says a lot. Now Westbrook, Easley, Seau, and Longacre I noticed as far as backups are concerned.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hmm, b4 Colvin that workout warrior....and Westbrooks....makes sense...dude was moving so lazily...and playing so high...he's nowhere near the guy that came outta college...

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Especially now that his career in ping-pong is down the tubes..
Yeah, but I'm a dual threat as a TE makes me extra valuable...
~Eugene Simms

Ram65

Legend
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ton-coples-agrees-to-2year-contract-with-rams
Quinton Coples agrees to 2-year contract with Rams
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL writer
  • Published: March 16, 2016 at 02:41 p.m.
  • Updated: March 16, 2016 at 03:41 p.m.
  • The Los Angeles Rams are the latest team that hopes to eek a pass rush out of Quinton Coples.
NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports Coples agreed to a two-year deal to join L.A.. NFL Media's Rand Getlin adds the deal has a base value of $6.5 million, with a max value of $9.75 million, according to a source familiar with the deal.

The New York Jets cut the former No. 16 overall pick of the 2012 draft last November. Copels then spent six -- mostly silent -- games with the Miami Dolphins before being released this offseason.

The pass rusher earned zero sacks in 15 games between the Jets and Dolphins last season and compiled four quarterback hits and 12 QB hurries in 292 snaps.

Always miscast as a 3-4 outside linebacker with theJets, Coples should find a fit better as a defensive end in the Rams' 4-3 scheme.

After the Rams jettisoned Chris Long -- who landed with the New England Patriots -- L.A. adds Coples to a defensive end crew led by Robert Quinn, and the re-signed duo of William Hayes and Eugene Sims.

Don't expect Coples to be more than a rotational player at this stage, but it's a low-risk signing by theRams with the potential for solid returns.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

I thought he could be a nice addition to the rotation. I guess the Rams save some money. Those were some big numbers.

Psycho_X

Legend
I thought he could be a nice addition to the rotation. I guess the Rams save some money. Those were some big numbers.

Yeah I'd guess that was a big factor besides Coples not being one himself so far this preseason. That's some extra cap space they can maybe use to extend another player or simply some nice cushion to deal with injuries throughout the year. Course they will also be eating some of that in dead money which makes the signing kind of dumb in the first place but will stick with the positives I suppose.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Did Coples even play this preseason? I'm sure he did but I sure can't think of noticing him which says a lot. Now Westbrook, Easley, Seau, and Longacre I noticed as far as backups are concerned.
He got a lot of reps, but he just didn't seem to play hard, IMO. Maybe, he didn't like the switch. You are right, it was like he wasn't out there.

Ram65

Legend
Yeah I'd guess that was a big factor besides Coples not being one himself so far this preseason. That's some extra cap space they can maybe use to extend another player or simply some nice cushion to deal with injuries throughout the year. Course they will also be eating some of that in dead money which makes the signing kind of dumb in the first place but will stick with the positives I suppose.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like the Rams are only out 750K. Worth the shot I guess.

Not that the Rams couldn't use the depth but they had already re-signed endsWilliam Hayes and Eugene Sims. The Rams went ahead and added to their group by bringing the former first-round pick on board with a deal that guarantees just $750,000. The deal is also voidable after one year if Coples meets certain requirements.

Here's a breakdown of Coples' contract with all numbers courtesy of ESPN Stats & Information:

Base salary: $1.75 million

Roster bonus: $1.25 million ($750,000 is fully guaranteed and paid on 10th day of league year. The other $500,000 is payable in increments of $31,250 per game on the 46-man active roster)

Cap charge: $3 million

Cash: $3 million

Base salary: $3.25 million

Roster bonus: $250,000

Cap charge: $3.5 million

Cash: $3.5 million

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
A little surprised by this. Then again, he's not stuck anywhere else for a reason.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I was confused about his situation. I thought he was Defensive End. Apparently the coaching staff didn't agree with me.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/a-few-players-that-i-doubt-make-the-53.45937/page-5#post-781441
Posted this this past weekend
.....here on Coples, just reroute them to last nights game as exhibit #1 as evidence that Coples is not sound or solid back up Brockers. Cam Thomas may be a bona fide ugly looking, boring non special DL'er but he does fill this teams needs in a back up NT.

While Coples is a beautiful looking DL'er with athletic abilities beyond most & might be a good rotational DL'er in time it needs to be pointed out we already have PROVEN DL'ers like Eugene Sims, Wm Hayes, Dom Easley & Ethan Westbrooks all who have played much better in the rotational inside roles than Coples....Now which of before the mentioned DL'ers do you want to kick to the curb for Coples

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads...-23-defense-under-williams.45892/#post-779077

Posted this last week

DE Chris Long's roster spot replacement Quinton Coples will be a good cost to keep...thus far in TC he has displayed fully he takes about a 10 to 11 yard to get to the QB on his pass rush route from the DE post. Did not take long for Gregg to figure that out. He should have called Miami & the Jets & asked more questions on why they did not let Coples start @ DE. So he has been moved inside thus throwing Ethan Westbrooks out to the DE post that Coples was purchased to play. Coples looks to be a much better interior DL'er than exterior so most here thinks that the problem is solved. Not so, cuz problem here for Gregg has no need for the play that Coples brings @ DT. ZERO need here. If you think I am wrong here PLEASE ask me after you make your case for why he needs to make this 53 player roster...then I will respond fully to you. Bottom line Coples was purchased to play DE not DT.