Cooper, White head another stellar WR class/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
NFL draft preview: Cooper, White head another stellar WR class
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_375fc94c-6a65-5a32-aad0-71b58538b260.html

About a year ago at this time, Rams coach Jeff Fisher was asked by a confidant about the possibility of taking a wide receiver with the second pick of the draft, No. 2 overall.

Fisher’s reply: “What? And get fired?”

Yes, there have been plenty of wide receivers who were busts at the top of the NFL draft in recent years, with Charles Rogers, Roy Williams and Mike Williams (the one from Southern Cal) coming to mind. Some might add Darrius Heyward-Bey to the list.

And that in part explains why Fisher doesn’t like taking wide receivers high in the draft. The fact that former No. 8 overall pick Tavon Austin has been only so-so in his first two NFL seasons hasn’t given Fisher a reason to change his mind, either.

All that being said, it would be difficult to say “no” to Alabama’s Amari Cooper or West Virginia’s Kevin White if either is available when the Rams pick at No. 10.

Both are expected to be gone by then, but we won’t know for sure until April 30 — the first day of this year’s NFL draft.

There seems to be a split among NFL scouts and draft experts on whether it’s Cooper No. 1 and White No. 2 at wide receiver, or vice versa.

“The teams that have Cooper above White would say he’s more pro ready,” said one veteran NFC scout, speaking on the condition of anonymity. “The teams that have White ahead of Cooper say the upside with White’’ is greater.

Cooper is an excellent route runner, with good speed, and what the scouts call “great tape.” But he will drop a pass now and then, and he might not be as explosive as White.

White ran a sizzling 4.35 in the 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine, and that’s at a shade under 6 feet 3 and weighing 215 pounds — big receiver size.

“White’s got big-time play-making ability and he screams out that he could be a No. 1 receiver,” the NFC scout said. “What you don’t like about him is he’s really had only one year of production.”

White began his post-high school career at the junior-college level and played only two seasons of major-college football (at West Virginia). His statistics as a junior, in 2013, were nothing to write home about—35 catches for 507 yards and five touchdowns.

“My junior year I put bad film out there,” White said. “That’s not the kind of receiver, the kind of player, I am. Going into my senior year, I just put everything on the line and did what I had to do.”

So what happened as a senior last season?

“Motivation,” White said. “Like I’ve been telling teams, it finally clicked.”

He finished third in the Football Bowl Subdivision in catches last season (109) and sixth in reception yards (1,447). He topped 100 yards receiving in nine of 13 games.

“He’s got phenomenal hands,” a veteran AFC scout said. “He snatches that ball; he just catches it like nobody’s business.”

Still, some wonder if those kinds of numbers will translate to the NFL. Former West Virginia Mountaineers Austin and Stedman Bailey, both now with the Rams, put up similar eye-popping numbers at West Virginia but have yet to light it up in the pros.

Cooper, on the other hand, can point to the success in Atlanta of former Crimson Tide star Julio Jones as evidence that perhaps his college feats will translate to the next level.

“I’ve definitely met with (Jones) and talked to him a few times,” Cooper said. “He’s definitely given me advice on what it takes to be a great player.”

In 2012, Cooper broke Jones’ school freshman records for most receptions and reception yards —with 59 catches for exactly 1,000 yards. Foot and knee injuries slowed his production in 2013 (45 for 736), but he was a glittering star in 2014 with a Southeastern Conference record 124 catches for an Alabama record 1,727 yards.

Even with all that college production, Cooper will be a mere 20 years old on draft day; he doesn’t celebrate his 21st birthday until June. So he will have plenty of time to develop and grow as an NFL receiver.

And even so, having former Oakland Raiders head coach Lane Kiffin as his offensive coordinator at Alabama gave Cooper exposure to not only a pro-style offense, but also to being moved around all over the formation.

“I certainly want to be the best receiver, not just in this class but overall — wherever I go — and I’m going to work hard to try to be that,” Cooper said.

Whether it’s Cooper & White, or White & Cooper, they are the mere headliners in what again figures to be a stellar wide receiver draft class.

“It’s a terrific receiver corps — a year like last year,” said former Rams assistant coach Rick Venturi, currently an NFL radio analyst in Indianapolis. “I think it’s the strongest position in the draft.”

And that’s saying something in comparison with the Class of 2014, which featured three wideouts who finished with 1,000 receiving yards-plus as rookies and six with more than 750 yards.

“We’re all confident,” White said, speaking for his classmates. “We always talk about it. There’s no doubt in our minds that we can do the same thing as last year’s draft class.”

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
NFL draft: Rating the wide receivers
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_8fd0a234-af44-50f8-afe0-83c2ae4f1bf2.html

Cream of the Crop

Amari Cooper Alabama 6-1 211

Biletnikoff winner racked up 124 catches for 1,727 yards last season.

Kevin White West Virginia 6-3 215

Posted Cooper-like numbers (109 catches for 1,447 yards).

DeVante Parker Louisville 6-3 209

Slowed by broken foot in ’14, never had more than 55 catches.

Jaelen Strong Arizona State 6-2 217

Size, speed and vertical (42”) to be a No. 1 in NFL.

Breshad Perriman Central Florida 6-2 212

Deep-ball threat, son of 10-year NFL receiver Brett Perriman.

Don’t Overlook

• Nelson Agholor, Southern California.• Phillip Dorsett, Miami.• Dorial Green-Beckham, Missouri.•Rashad Greene, Florida State.• Devin Smith, Ohio State.

Local Line

Green-Beckham finished his college career at Oklahoma after his Mizzou dismissal but never played in a game for the Sooners. He projects as a late first-round or a second-round pick.

Fun Fact

Cooper’s high school teammate at Miami Northwestern High School was Minnesota Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater.

Quotable

“It’s a great wide receiver class. We’re all friends. We’re all close to each other. We all push each other. Me and Kevin White are great friends; work(ed) out together in Arizona.” — Arizona State’s Strong.

Rams’ Needs

When Kenny Britt re-signed last month, it meant all five Rams wide receivers from last season were under contract for 2015.

Britt, Brian Quick, and Tavon Austin figure to be the top three wideouts again, with Stedman Bailey and Chris Givens in reserve.

Although the Rams appear set here, they have brought in Cooper, Parker, and Green-Beckham for pre-draft visits, with White due this week.

Rating the Field

On paper this group could be comparable to the 2014 class, which based on rookie performances is one of the best in years. Cooper and White should go in the top 10, Parker in the top 15 and five or six total should go in the first round. Starting-caliber prospects are available in Rounds 2 and 3 as well.

Jim Thomas

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
Is Nelson Agholor a terrible option later in the draft - I remember he had a bit of buzz about him as a freshman but don't follow USC that closely. Anyone?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He is one of a very impressive group of WRs that should go round 2.

Athos

Legend
Is Nelson Agholor a terrible option later in the draft - I remember he had a bit of buzz about him as a freshman but don't follow USC that closely. Anyone?

Don't like those USC WRs. I don't think Agholor is more talented than Woods or Lee coming out and neither of those two have blown it up yet. Really thin framed high-striders coming from a system that really inflates WR stats.

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
Don't like those USC WRs. I don't think Agholor is more talented than Woods or Lee coming out and neither of those two have blown it up yet. Really thin framed high-striders coming from a system that really inflates WR stats.
Thanks for the info - I'm not terribly keen drafting that kind of receiver.