Cooper Kupp vs Josh Reynolds

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32

Got to thinking about our conversation on Welker and I had to ask myself why on earth a coaching staff supposedly as smart as the Patriots even use Welker outside of his best position? I looked at his stats and his production in 2 WR sets (including only 4 receptions with Cassell/Moss) amounted to a very small fraction compared to his overall production in 3+ WR sets. And if they played him outside in the 3+ WR sets, who on earth did they move to the slot? :huh:

Aaron Hernandez was the third WR. It was Branch (split end), Welker (flanker), Hernandez (move TE), and Gronk (usually inline TE). They moved guys around a lot that year. Welker lined up inside quite a bit as the flanker with Branch outside of him at the split end. Hernandez and Gronk would usually align to the other side of the field.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Aaron Hernandez was the third WR. It was Branch (split end), Welker (flanker), Hernandez (move TE), and Gronk (usually inline TE). They moved guys around a lot that year. Welker lined up inside quite a bit as the flanker with Branch outside of him at the split end. Hernandez and Gronk would usually align to the other side of the field.

But I'm assuming that Hernandez would be listed as a TE and according to stats.com, Welker only had 13 receptions with 2 TEs on the field in 2010. And while I couldn't find his receptions with 2 TEs in 2011, he only had 18 in 2012. I guess that they just sat Gronkowski for those sets.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But I'm assuming that Hernandez would be listed as a TE and according to stats.com, Welker only had 13 receptions with 2 TEs on the field in 2010. And while I couldn't find his receptions with 2 TEs in 2011, he only had 18 in 2012. I guess that they just sat Gronkowski for those sets.

I wouldn't make that assumption. One of the two TEs was usually detached from the LOS. They might have labeled them a WR. My focus has been on 2011, specifically. I can state with total certainty that they were usually passing out of sets with Branch, Welker, Hernandez, and Gronk.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I'd temper that bet with Woods+ Kupp. I respect both players, I also think Mcvay is going to have our offense moving the ball. However, I don't know why you would hook yourselves to two 'new' guys achieving a certain status.

I am hopeful for Woods and think he offers great things for this offense.

I am in the same boat with Kupp
But I also have to realize where this offense is. . . We were bad last year with a terrible scheme. I can't imagine that Woods, Austin, Higbee, Everett, Gurley, Thomas, Reynolds, etc. I like the bet, but I don't like the bet if it has to be just those two players.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

I can see why many might see it as a long shot, but i'm going to go with it. Our revamped OL along with a pass protecting FB will allow Goff that extra second to pick his man and launch, and that same OL will help get Gurley going which will free up our receivers a tad. Woods becoming the go-to vet will likely get the most looks and will definitely beat Quick's reception numbers & yardage. Kupp may not get to 1000 yards as Britt did, but Woods will take up enough of the slack to put them over the top imo.

Woods : 875 yards - 7 TD's - 73 receptions
Kupp : 750 yards - 3 TD's - 63 receptions

Memphis Ram

Legend
I wouldn't make that assumption. One of the two TEs was usually detached from the LOS. They might have labeled them a WR. My focus has been on 2011, specifically. I can state with total certainty that they were usually passing out of sets with Branch, Welker, Hernandez, and Gronk.

OK. WR Chad "Ochocinco" Johnson played in 15 games (starting 3) that year, too. It was probably a mix or maybe he just spelled Welker and Branch because I doubt he played in the slot.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I can see why many might see it as a long shot, but i'm going to go with it.
This is another bet that I kinda hope to lose....as soon as if figure out that bet exchange thingy...I'ma hit you up....I see you got $54k in your ROD account that you can't wait to give away. LOLOLOLOL:ROFLMAO::LOL::mrburnsevil:

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
IMG_9786.JPG

I don't know but if Kupp plays like his tires we are in a world of shit gentlemen! :sneaky::rolllaugh::fuelfire:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Dammit. Season's not over, but I may have to stock up on Benadryl and EpiPens so I don't die from anaphylactic shock wearing Brady's jersey.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
View attachment 19652

I don't know but if Kupp plays like his tires we are in a world of crap gentlemen! :sneaky::rolllaugh::fuelfire:

I highly doubt it.

That said, there wasn't a similar receiver named Marcello Pirelli or Pierre Michelin for us to hit both the WR and tire jackpot.

Guess we'll just have to settle for the WR jackpot! (y)

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Very different players. Where they win is completely flipped. Alshon is very slow over the first 10 yards but quite fast when he's up to speed. He's also not the quickest athlete. Kupp is pretty fast over the first 10 yards but not that fast when he's up to speed. He is very quick. Kupp's most dangerous in that 5-15 yard range. Alshon is most dangerous in that 15-30 yard range.
There is a little context. It was said that he was the fasted MPH player clocked at the Senior Bowl, for what it is worth.

Corbin

I highly doubt it.

That said, there wasn't a similar receiver named Marcello Pirelli or Pierre Michelin for us to hit both the WR and tire jackpot.

Guess we'll just have to settle for the WR jackpot! (y)
That is a very good point Mack! lol
Glad there is no correlation because i got rid of those shits!

Corbin

Are you saying he has to wear a roll of TP if he loses?

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
I haven't posted here in months, but read numerous times each day. I just want to say that Jrry and Memphis are two of my favorite posters to read. I truly appreciate the manner in which they are debating qualities of two of our own while not making it personal. It's been a great read and I see each other's point of view. Makes this place great.

Ramzheart

Rookie
I have to say that my knowledge of both is sort of limited and is mostly from highlight clips. I am MOST excited about Josh Reynolds and am curious as to why:
1. Why Kupp was picked before Reynolds?
2. Why everyone seems to be geeked that Kupp will be a better pro?

Other fans don't know Reynolds, but watching him on tape he looks like a STUD. Kupp looks precise in his route running, but is not as physically imposing to me. Reynolds is aggressive in getting the ball and both he and Kupp seem to be a less than accurate QB's best friend (wide catching radius and large sticky hands). When I see Reynolds, I see a future dominant WR. In Kupp, I see a nice player and probably not a #1. JMO

and you?
I'll tell you what, I'm excited with all of our receivers this year! They have been a pleasant surprise! I thought this group would be improved but they have surpassed my expectations! So far my favorite has been Mr.Woods! I had a feeling he was more talented then he had a chance to show in Buffalo!
I would like to see what Reynolds can do and not to mention Mike Thomas hasn't been on the field yet. I'm hoping everyone's going to get in on the action against Arizona!