Cooper Kupp taking guff, but pass to Tavon Austin's feet showed smarts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Cooper Kupp taking guff, but pass to Tavon Austin's feet showed smarts

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Todd Gurley will admit that Cooper Kupp, the Los Angeles Rams' rookie slot receiver, has a decent arm -- but perhaps not as good as his.

"I think I should be back there throwing it," Gurley said, "but, whatever."

Gurley also understands why Kupp is the one who will usually be tasked with that responsibility.

"He's going to make great decisions with the ball, if anything," Gurley said. "Unlike me, I'd be trying to do all types of crazy stuff and make a play and look like Travis Kelce and throw a pick."

Which brings us to Sunday's play, a mere footnote in the Rams' 26-20 victory over the New Orleans Saints. The Rams called a trick play at an unconventional time, while up 10 with less than 10 minutes remaining. Jared Goff threw a quick pass to Pharoh Cooper, who then pitched it to Kupp as he drifted behind him. But Kupp threw the ball to the ground for an incompletion, a rare opportunity ruined.

"I’m getting a lot of crap for this play right now," Kupp said. "I can throw the football, OK?"

Kupp, 24, processed a lot in his head before he let go of the football. He actually made a progression. It's highlighted in a couple of screen grabs below, the first one illustrating his primary option (Sammy Watkins) and his secondary one (Tavon Austin). The second notes the Saints players who posed dangers on the play, which ultimately forced Kupp to make the wise decision of throwing it away.

upload_2017-12-2_10-7-20.png

upload_2017-12-2_10-7-33.png

Kupp ran through it all quickly.

"Right before the play started, the safety is flying over the top," he said. "Go look at the film. The safety’s like, ‘Oh, crap, we’re outnumbered over here.’ The safety comes over the top, right? So that means that as I’m getting the ball, Sammy’s gotta beat his guy, and now there’s a safety over the top. So now my primary read is gone. I know Tavon is coming across the field, right? But as I find him, he’s got someone tight behind him, and the corner is now falling off Sammy. So if I throw it to him, Tavon’s getting smacked. So I start sliding to my right, I’m feeling pressure back side, and I’m like, ‘I have nowhere to go with this ball. There’s nobody in front of me.' So I just threw it right at the feet of Tavon."

Kupp's father, Craig, was a quarterback in the NFL. Kupp himself was a backup quarterback through high school and an emergency quarterback at Eastern Washington, where he completed 7 of 10 passes for 180 yards and four touchdowns. Yes, he can throw. But it's his football IQ that can make him a unique weapon on trick plays.

"He's not your typical rookie," Rams offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur said. "It's funny because a lot of times, after they're done with the receiver meeting, he'll come in the quarterback meeting and he'll listen to us. He loves football. Very intelligent player, and we're lucky to have him."

Rams coach Sean McVay called Kupp's decision on Sunday "a smart throwaway," though LaFleur would've preferred to see him instead chuck the ball out of bounds. McVay said Kupp has "a great arm," but was predictably coy when asked about whether he will utilize it in the future. Any trick play for Kupp, however, will include a maximum of two reads.

"We won't ask him to exhaust a progression and get through and use all of his eligibles," McVay said with a smile.

Kupp would like another chance, but he understands that it is not up to him.

He just wants you to know that his spiked throw was intentional, not a reflection of his ability.

"Look, there’s a lot that went into that play," Kupp said. "I can throw the ball. The coaches aren’t just throwing some person out there, OK? I can throw the ball."

[www.espn.com]

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Looking at the photos, the 2 dbs on Watkins have their backs to tavon while running away from tavon. Meanwhile tavon has his guy beat for a pass down the middle. A good pass would have lead tavon so he would not have been smacked and had a good amount of open field. You show that photo to just about any qb and I think they say they'd make it

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I thought he tried to throw it...but it slipped...

Surprised at the play call at that moment tho....:dizzy:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Meh, he's no Quick....:santa:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I thought he tried to throw it...but it slipped...

Surprised at the play call at that moment tho....:dizzy:
Honestly, that's what it looked like to me as well. Also agree on the play call. Oh well....trust the process!!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Looking at the photos, the 2 dbs on Watkins have their backs to tavon while running away from tavon. Meanwhile tavon has his guy beat for a pass down the middle. A good pass would have lead tavon so he would not have been smacked and had a good amount of open field. You show that photo to just about any qb and I think they say they'd make it

Passing to TA wold be a risk because bt the time the ball got there the underneath defender would have a chance to make a play on the ball. Or crush Austin.

If Austin broke upfield that would be a different story, in that case it's probably a TD if Kupp gets him the ball.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Passing to TA wold be a risk because bt the time the ball got there the underneath defender would have a chance to make a play on the ball. Or crush Austin.

If Austin broke upfield that would be a different story, in that case it's probably a TD if Kupp gets him the ball.

Yeah if tavon cuts upfield and kupp follows his lead in changing the short route its probably a td but I think if tavon runs to the 40 number at the bottom then kupp can hit him along the way with no chance for the underneath guy. I mean, c'mon, how open do you need to get in the NFL?

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Cooper Kupp said:
"I’m getting a lot of crap for this play right now," Kupp said. "I can throw the football, OK?"

It's ok, rook....you'll get another shot at it.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
This all basically makes sense....BUT ideally if you are throwing it away chuck it out of bounds

Ram65

Legend
Yeah if tavon cuts upfield and kupp follows his lead in changing the short route its probably a td but I think if tavon runs to the 40 number at the bottom then kupp can hit him along the way with no chance for the underneath guy. I mean, c'mon, how open do you need to get in the NFL?

I agree Tavon was open going deep. He could have done a skinny post. If Kupp could throw it that far it wasa TD. Look at all the defenders looking and moving to the opposite side. I would hold onto that play when they need a spark or a closer.

Kupp makes some of those catches look easy.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
And kupp is a wr who knew his limitations

Old Rock

Rookie
Name
Rock
Sounds like a Hekker vs Kupp battle brewing for our 3rd string quarterback to me.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
If
And kupp is a wr who knew his limitations

If he won't at least throw it to tavon in that space then what's the point. Hoping he'll get more open? He says he can throw. Coach says he has a great arm. Now just run the play with the same coverage in practice until he feels comfy pulling the trigger.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If

If he won't at least throw it to tavon in that space then what's the point. Hoping he'll get more open? He says he can throw. Coach says he has a great arm. Now just run the play with the same coverage in practice until he feels comfy pulling the trigger.

There was a lber in the way. Easy throw for a qb but smart for a wr not to pull the trigger in that instance. Not sure he could loop it over the lber into the arms of tavon.