Cook: Rams 'outplayed' and 'out-coached' by Cards

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Dallas: 10 points in the second half 7 of which came in garbage time. One of our TD "drives in the 1st half went all of 2 yards. Decent O for the most part though.
Eagles: 21 points scored in garbage time after Eagles went up 34-7.
Seahawks: 7 points scored in 2nd half. 2 TD drives in 1st half traveled 31 & 29 yards each.

Probably the worst 2nd half offense in the NFL. Makes the first half offense look good in comparison. We're tied for 16th in scoring so you're right that we're not as bad as it appears.

I don't blame that all on Schotty of course but to say he isn't part of the problem would be wrong IMO. I blame most of our offensive woes on playing with backup QBs but I'd apportion about 50% of the blame on our O-lins, 30% on lack of execution and 20% of the problem on his shoulders. 20% is not acceptable to me. Having to learn a new offense isn't a good idea either. Other than checking in with me before he calls a play :eek: I'm not sure what the best solution is. :(

The rest of what you said I totally agree with.
That 20% of Shotts fault IYO is still enough IMO to cause the Rams to get out coached and not win a playoff game.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Cook needs to talk less and do more with his physical gifts.
He's a good player, that should be a great player.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Of course we won't. Because I'm right and you're wrong.

oh.gif

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
When does the O-line coach get brought into this conversation or does he get a pass? Did Boudreau forget how to coach players? It's not the receivers, the running backs, the QB or even the OC that's the real problem here, it's the O-line.

Fix the damn O-line like the Cowboys did and that will make the running game, the receivers, the QB, and yes even the OC look much better. Linehan looks like a genius now. We all know better. The Cowboys used their draft picks on the O-line and it's paying off. Maybe @Rynie can chime in on this.

The Rams built a great D-line through the draft and succeeded. Now it's time in the offseason to focus on the O-line. That is the problem and that's what needs to be fixed.

If Schottenheimer got fired and replaced then there would be a new system for the players to learn which would take more time to adjust to. Every team has a certain window of time and these things need to be done quickly before the players on defense get older and shuffle off to other teams, get injured, or retire.

Boudreau has actually had years of success. BS had years of mediocrity.

I'm all for fixing the OL. I pound that drum in almost every thread regarding trading all our draft picks for a QB. I don't think there's been a draft that's gone by where I don't covet a high OL pick. Usually everyone whines about skill players being what "successful" teams draft.

I don't share your confidence that we'll actually turn a corner under BS. Every coach looks better with a good OL though. I think we will still wonder what the hell he is doing. And most of the people who don't want to see him return have been pretty consistent since last year.

If we are going to change QBs, then nows the time to change the OC. Soften the blow by finding a coach who uses a similar system. We'd not be this good defensively if we accepted Waltons mediocrity and kept him.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Well, when your hot handed receiver in Bailey has zero targets in the first half, then you go to him and he comes up with 5 catches for 74 yards, you have to wonder why his number wasn't called in the first half, or why it took 3 quarters for the Rams to actually hand the ball to Tavon. Shittenheimer has got to go. He's decent sometimes, but sometimes does not work in the NFC West.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Im torn. He shouldn't really say shit because his performance was not the greatest nor has it been the greatest but at the same time I dont care at all that someone said something about Shotty.

Alan

Legend
Amitar thinking the little things count:
That 20% of Shotts fault IYO is still enough IMO to cause the Rams to get out coached and not win a playoff game.
The Cards and the Rams are mirror images of each other in most respects. We each have a top notch D and a crappy O (without our starting QB). Any edge, no matter how small, could be the deciding factor. So I'd normally agree with you but in this case, while I think that 20% probably meant the difference between winning and losing, I'm not familiar enough with their coaching staff to say we were out coached. We might have just leveled the playing field with their coaches. :eek:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Just FUCK Cook, he barely blocks ,I know the excuse for that is ,that's not why they have him but there are Qb's in this league who block,he needs to do his best because he IS called on to do it ,I'd accept that excuse if he was never called upon.
He drops a TD pass the QB tries to console him on the sideline and he shoves the QB.
He decides without telling the coach to make a socio/political statement using a slogan derived from a fabrication that drives a wedge between his team and the police of the community.
Now he makes statements about the performance of his coaches that people aren't going to not be able to take sides on, and OBTW if you go back and see who has no problem with it , I think you'll find it's their version of the absolute truth they want vindicated despite what this kind of thing does to team chemistry.
POS cancer in the locker room ,I don't care if he ever plays another down for this team, he's got a million dollar body and a fitty cent head in a game that is nearly as much mental as it is physical.

When the going gets tough ,the tough get going and the pussies cry to the press

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Cook should shut up and try to lead by example instead, but, You have to wonder how the best short yardage runner on the team is left to sit every time we have third and short or we are on the other teams one yard line. Mason has a burst but Stacy moves the pile.

Also, we constantly struggle against good three- four defenses.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Cook should shut up and try to lead by example instead, but, You have to wonder how the best short yardage runner on the team is left to sit every time we have third and short or we are on the other teams one yard line. Mason has a burst but Stacy moves the pile.

Also, we constantly struggle against good three- four defenses.

I've wondered the same about Stacy. It's like he slept with someone's wife. Mason is going to be damned good, but teams do carry a short yardage power back for a reason.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
He basically said the truth. I have no problem in it. He included himself, he wasnt throwing anybody under the bus. He just told the truth, we got beat in every facet. Don't get why coaches can say we got outplayed, throw their players under the bus as much as they can to get out of dodge, but a guy can't say me and our guys just got beat.

Though it is Cook, people like to heap on him in ways they wouldn't if it was anybody else.