Cook: Rams 'outplayed' and 'out-coached' by Cards

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
I don't have a problem with his comments. Just stating the obvious. Once again Tavon was invisible out there. Why on earth they didn't run more sweeps to get him on the edge is beyond me. It worked that past few game, and we just abandon it? Nothing but runs up the gut to the right and left. Brilliant.

Just about every time they ran the fake sweep with TA there was a defender running down into the box ready to knock his dick in the dirt. It wasn't there.. even when they did run it the defender was there he just took a bad angle to make the play for a short or no gain

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I seem to remember everyone crucifying RGIII for talking out of turn. Explain to me how this is any different, outside of the fact the RGIII plays QB and Cook plays TE
It's not. It was a stupid thing to say. Whether or not it's true is irrelevant.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just about every time they ran the fake sweep with TA there was a defender running down into the box ready to knock his dick in the dirt. It wasn't there.. even when they did run it the defender was there he just took a bad angle to make the play for a short or no gain

I saw that, too most times. But, I've always wondered why they haven't let Tavon go in motion the same way and then simply take off down the field at the snap. If the WR to that side ran something that crosses his face, I'd think he'd be wide open. And it might limit the amount of times the defender cheated up.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I seem to remember everyone crucifying RGIII for talking out of turn. Explain to me how this is any different, outside of the fact the RGIII plays QB and Cook plays TE
Apples to oranges. Griffin's quote "It takes 11 men, it doesn’t take one guy, and that’s proven. If you want to look at the good teams in this league and the great quarterbacks, the Peytons and the Aaron Rodgers, those guys don’t play well if their guys don’t play well. They don’t."

Cook essentially said, the execution was poor from top to bottom. He didn't attempt to elevate himself or excuse his play. He flat out said everyone blew it. If anyone wants to deny that fact, they're lying to themselves.

Alan

Legend
Prime Time mostly nailing it:
As far as Schottenheimer and the offense goes - the Rams scored 31 points against the Cowboys, 28 against the Eagles, 28 against the Seahawks. Those teams have at least decent defenses.
Dallas: 10 points in the second half 7 of which came in garbage time. One of our TD "drives in the 1st half went all of 2 yards. Decent O for the most part though.
Eagles: 21 points scored in garbage time after Eagles went up 34-7.
Seahawks: 7 points scored in 2nd half. 2 TD drives in 1st half traveled 31 & 29 yards each.

Probably the worst 2nd half offense in the NFL. Makes the first half offense look good in comparison. We're tied for 16th in scoring so you're right that we're not as bad as it appears.

I don't blame that all on Schotty of course but to say he isn't part of the problem would be wrong IMO. I blame most of our offensive woes on playing with backup QBs but I'd apportion about 50% of the blame on our O-lins, 30% on lack of execution and 20% of the problem on his shoulders. 20% is not acceptable to me. Having to learn a new offense isn't a good idea either. Other than checking in with me before he calls a play :eek: I'm not sure what the best solution is. :(

The rest of what you said I totally agree with.

Last edited:

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
I'll give Cook this. He wants to win and has some emotional fire. BUT... as soon as he gets his freakin period he just checks out of the game... He needs to find a way to harness that properly

BD-TomCat

Rookie
Shotties play calling is suspect period. How do you only run 1 jet sweep all game. We were getting at least 8yds everytime we were running it in previous games. We ran it once last night and it got 7 yards. His redzone playcalling is atrocious and doesnt seem to be getting any better. I was trying to give shotty the benefit of the doubt but he's is not doing the 0 any favors. You suppose to do what works until it's stopped. the Jet sweep hasnt been stopped yet

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
You are right, we are going in the right direction, but there's no need to have dead weight in the car. I think it's time we at least looked at who's out there to replace him.

When does the O-line coach get brought into this conversation or does he get a pass? Did Boudreau forget how to coach players? It's not the receivers, the running backs, the QB or even the OC that's the real problem here, it's the O-line.

Fix the damn O-line like the Cowboys did and that will make the running game, the receivers, the QB, and yes even the OC look much better. Linehan looks like a genius now. We all know better. The Cowboys used their draft picks on the O-line and it's paying off. Maybe @Rynie can chime in on this.

The Rams built a great D-line through the draft and succeeded. Now it's time in the offseason to focus on the O-line. That is the problem and that's what needs to be fixed.

If Schottenheimer got fired and replaced then there would be a new system for the players to learn which would take more time to adjust to. Every team has a certain window of time and these things need to be done quickly before the players on defense get older and shuffle off to other teams, get injured, or retire.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Sooner or later when an OC or DC or HC isn't giving his guys chances to win small little things like this come out. Little cracks. This was a jab at BS and it was well deserved IMO. Sometimes BS looks crafty and clever and other times he looks tone deaf to down and distance and what skill sets his players have. For instance Austin......there are a few guys similar to him in the league and I wonder if they are running between the tackles nearly half of their touches.

Every fan is going to complain about play calls a few times a game. When it gets to the point where you are saying "WTF was the idea behind that" several times a game then it's an issue.

Sometimes it seems like he has an entire game scripted and doesn't make the subtle changes or it seems like he has one of those random password generators reprogrammed to randomly select a play from the playbook.

From memory, if I'm wrong please correct me, on the roll out from the 1 the entire O went to the right pulling the entire D with it so how does that play have a chance to work. Both teams are in a small tight space........

Anyway unless BS suddenly changes his MO I think he should be de-hired.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Now, I do not really feel we were outcoached. (What did they do that was so special as compared to us?) However, we were definately out executed.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Let’s do the math

Case A – Kick the FG
FG Chances from the 1 are about 99%
Long drive to score a TD last night – let’s say 20%.
Chances of scoring 10 points this way – 19.9%

Case B – Go for it on 4th and 1
Chances of scoring from the 1 – I say 60%
Chances of making 50-60 yd FG with Greg the Leg – 50%
Chances of scoring 10 points this way – 30%
I hate it when people pull made up stats out of their ass to make a point. It's really annoying.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I do kind of agree that is is not right for Cook saying the Rams were out coached. But with many of us here are frustrated with the offensive play calling I can only imagine how frustrating it is for the players.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Hey, Jared Cook! I got an idea...

Why not look back at the QB on the final hail mary pass instead of just running to the locker room... I mean, at least TRY to win the game. Maybe a tip to someone outside of the group?

Rewatch the final play... Jared Cook is something like 10-15 yards past everyone else and isn't even looking back as Peterson is catching the ball... talk about a total lack of awareness...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Hey, Jared Cook! I got an idea...

Why not look back at the QB on the final hail mary pass instead of just running to the locker room... I mean, at least TRY to win the game. Maybe a tip to someone outside of the group?

Rewatch the final play... Jared Cook is something like 10-15 yards past everyone else and isn't even looking back as Peterson is catching the ball... talk about a total lack of awareness...
You saw that too, huh?

Yeesh. I like Hill and all, but he can't throw 80 yards, so why the hell was he running into the endzone?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I looked at my daughter and said "hook and ladder"

It would have been perfect. Make it look like a Hail Mary except you have Tavon break out. Have Bailey something like 10 yards in front o fthe main group and if he catches it you have him flip it to Tavon who's at full speed breaking to the end zone. Like Miami did

Woulda been genius.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Okay, I hate it when people pull made up *numbers* out of their ass to make a point.