Cook: Rams 'outplayed' and 'out-coached' by Cards

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000442596/article/cook-rams-outplayed-and-outcoached-by-cards

Cook: Rams 'outplayed' and 'out-coached' by Cards

Despite copious injuries to their roster, the Arizona Cardinals' consistent display of great élan and toughness on the gridiron has led them to 11 wins, all but assuring themselves of a playoff berth and a Coach of The Year award for Bruce Arians.

However, it takes two to tango, as they say. On Thursday night, despite playing against a backup's backup at quarterback, the St. Louis Rams capitulated, ultimately wilting 12-6 to a superior defense.

"We got outplayed, we got out-coached, and we just put a bad display out there," Jared Cook said per the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

The tight end declined to elaborate on what he meant by being "out-coached" when asked.

"It's pretty self-explanatory," he said. "We got outplayed and out-coached. All we put up was six points and didn't get in the (end zone) not once tonight. That's a pretty unsuccessful night if you ask me."

You'll get no argument here.

The Shaun Hill-led Rams amassed 280 yards of total offense, 229 yards passing, just 69 rushing yards, a fumble, an interception on the final play and settled for field goals inside the 10-yard line twice. The Rams' offense failed to get a first down the entire third quarter, going three-and-out five times in the period.

Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer continually leads unimaginative, unproductive and floundering offenses. Thursday was just the latest example.

The Cardinals' defense deserves credit, but as Cook said, it was pretty self-explanatory: The Rams' offense was a hot pile of garbage.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Yea, that game last night was pretty much a hot pile of garbage. But... as bad as it was, they were still just one big play away from winning. A TD wins the game.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
It's OK to think it , but I'm not surprised the leader of the hands up was the one who said that....................talk about your performance Jared ,you aren't the guy to say that, leave that sort of stupid candor to RG.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Wow I didn't think that last bit was part of the actual link since it sounds more like a forum comment. But can't say I disagree.

While Cook is correct, I don't agree with a player airing crap to the media, keep that inside the team meeting. When that mic is in front of you take personal responsibility for your performance and don't throw anyone else under the bus.

Athos

Legend
Not the thing to say publicly, but he's damn right sadly. Again.

BS is almost always out coached.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I don't have a problem with his comments. Just stating the obvious. Once again Tavon was invisible out there. Why on earth they didn't run more sweeps to get him on the edge is beyond me. It worked that past few game, and we just abandon it? Nothing but runs up the gut to the right and left. Brilliant.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
Cook has no filter. That is both refreshing and scary. After his surprising candor the last few weeks, look for someone to have a mike in his face every single time he is in public. What will he say next?

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To me nothing is wrong with what he said. Cook actually made some big catches in the game. Schotty is a big big problem.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Passionate dude, and that is undeniable. He can't deny that his own OPI call cost the Rams a drive though.
BTW, I think Opi is a good nickname for Cook, I think he's had 3 called against him this season. Must be league leading. I like the player, but he's got to keep that temper in check.

Psycho_X

Legend
I'm glad he said it. Yes it might ruffle some feathers but maybe if players start talking about the awful play calling it might force Fisher to make a change in the offseason. Schotty is out coached any time he faces a truly good defensive coordinator. Too bad we can't face Jim Haslett 16 times a year.

Athos

Legend
I don't have a problem with his comments. Just stating the obvious. Once again Tavon was invisible out there. Why on earth they didn't run more sweeps to get him on the edge is beyond me. It worked that past few game, and we just abandon it? Nothing but runs up the gut to the right and left. Brilliant.

This is what makes me so tired about BS. Tavon is a decoy 80%, if not more, of the time. Hardly send him on deep routes. Hardly ever give him the ball on those sweeps when he'd have plenty of daylight....

A waste of the 8th overall if you don't use him more.

Rams0307

Cook got outplayed, that's for sure. Guy gets two penalties, doesn't get his feet inbounds on the last drive, and couldn't block, but he's going to call out the coaches. Focus on yourself, Cooksy.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
It was not a very good offensive gameplan - but let's look on the bright side - is there any way the 'always 8-8' Rams players won't be circling the Cardinals games on the schedule next year?

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I totally agree with Cook. The offensive play calling was horrific especially in the second half. Three unimaginative pass plays in a row, more then one time, for 0 yards. When the Rams did drive down the field I'll bet it was NOT Shott calling the plays. Even the announcers were commenting on AZ nice play calling and at one point when the Rams did run a good play how they should have been doing that on first earlier. Shott had no snswers for the AZ D. None, notta, zero. This cannot be tolerated at the NFL level.
How Shott can still be the OC after this year is beyond me.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The problem with shooting off one's mouth, taking part in protests, and trolling other coaches and owners(I'm referring here to both our players and coaches) is that it might be embarrassing later on when your team plays like crap. These guys should spend more time in the playbook, watching film, practicing, and developing an attitude of excellence. And no, I've never cared for smack talk or attempting to embarrass other team's players, coaches, or owners. It tends to eventually bite you in the butt. Shut up and play!

As far as Schottenheimer and the offense goes - the Rams scored 31 points against the Cowboys, 28 against the Eagles, 28 against the Seahawks. Those teams have at least decent defenses. Then we plowed over two teams with lousy defenses for a combined total of 76 points. It's not like we forgot how to score points.

Then last night we ran into one of the best, if not the best defense in the NFL, and possibly a team of destiny. If the Cards get into the Super Bowl with a third-string QB then something otherwordly is going on with that team. And we took it down to the wire with a crappy O-line and an aging backup QB. All is not lost folks. We're finally headed in the right direction. Fix the O-line, get a veteran QB that can stay on the field all season, and the Rams will be a team to be reckoned with.

RamzFanz

Damnit
"Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer continually leads unimaginative, unproductive and floundering offenses. Thursday was just the latest example."

I mean, what was Schotty doing?

I guess failure to execute could make his gameplan look flat but when the obvious advantages like TA aren't even attempted?

I'm not a Scotty fan, but that might have been his worst showing ever.

Irish

Starter
I seem to remember everyone crucifying RGIII for talking out of turn. Explain to me how this is any different, outside of the fact the RGIII plays QB and Cook plays TE

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
He's right and my assumption is he includes himself among those who got "outplayed". I don't have a problem with this. You can call a terd by another name but it still stinks.

V3

Hall of Fame
It's OK to think it , but I'm not surprised the leader of the hands up was the one who said that....................talk about your performance Jared ,you aren't the guy to say that, leave that sort of stupid candor to RG.
I assumed that he included himself with the, "We got outplayed" part.

I have no issue with what he said. It's the truth.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
The problem with shooting off one's mouth, taking part in protests, and trolling other coaches and owners(I'm referring here to both our players and coaches) is that it might be embarrassing later on when your team plays like crap. These guys should spend more time in the playbook, watching film, practicing, and developing an attitude of excellence. And no, I've never cared for smack talk or attempting to embarrass other team's players, coaches, or owners. It tends to eventually bite you in the butt. Shut up and play!

As far as Schottenheimer and the offense goes - the Rams scored 31 points against the Cowboys, 28 against the Eagles, 28 against the Seahawks. Those teams have at least decent defenses. Then we plowed over two teams with lousy defenses for a combined total of 76 points. It's not like we forgot how to score points.

Then last night we ran into one of the best, if not the best defense in the NFL, and possibly a team of destiny. If the Cards get into the Super Bowl with a third-string QB then something otherwordly is going on with that team. And we took it down to the wire with a crappy O-line and an aging backup QB. All is not lost folks. We're finally headed in the right direction. Fix the O-line, get a veteran QB that can stay on the field all season, and the Rams will be a team to be reckoned with.

We also scored 6 against the Vikings, 17 against the 9ers, 7 against the Chiefs, 13 against the 9ers, 14 against the Cardinals, and now 6 in the rematch. Oh, and 19 against an awful TB team. It's EXACTLY like we forget how to score points. 21st in points, 27th in yrds, 26th with the pass, 20th running. If the OC isn't to blame, who exactly is? He's kind of in charge of the whole deal. He's had player issues sure, but he hasn't exactly come up with ways to counter those problems either. You are right, we are going in the right direction, but there's no need to have dead weight in the car. I think it's time we at least looked at who's out there to replace him.