Cook excited about Rams' new OC/Latsch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Cook excited about Rams' new OC
By Nate Latsch

http://stl.scout.com/story/1539965-cook-excited-about-rams-new-oc?s=124

ST. LOUIS — Rams tight end Jared Cook was smiling ear to ear on Monday morning as he talked about his team’s new offensive coordinator, Frank Cignetti, with a group of reporters.
“We're excited about Cig,” Cook said. “We all love Cig. He's a great guy, so we're excited about the opportunities that he's going to bring for everybody on the offense and the different style of offense that he’s going to be able to implement.”

The Rams was looking for a new offensive coordinator shortly after the season ended and Brian Schottenheimer left to become the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at the University of Georgia.

The team settled on promoting Cignetti from quarterbacks coach to offensive coordinator, in part because head coach Jeff Fisher wanted to maintain some level of continuity with the offense.

Cook said Monday that should help the Rams.

“If we would have got a totally new offensive coordinator that wasn't here with us previously, there ain’t no telling what changes he would have brought that would have confused everybody,” the tight end said. “I think Cig knows the personalities, he knows what type of players he has, he knows what players can fit in what positions and I think it's going to make it easier for him to make his decisions on what type of plays to run, what type of offense to put in.

“It helps us too because we know the type of person Cig is, it’s not like we have to get used to a whole new regime of a coach and him imputing all different kind of plays in. Him being familiar with the faces that are in the locker room is going to make it easier for both parties. It’s going to make it easier for the coaches as well as the players and I think that's huge, it's huge.”

Cook called Cignetti a “great coach” and explained that the new offensive coordinator manages personalities well, communicates with the players well and tells them exactly what he wants from them.

“He's a smart guy,” Cook added. “He’s everything that you’d want.”

It remains to be seen if Cignetti, who has never been an offensive coordinator in the NFL, is the right coach to turn around a Rams’ offense that has ranked among the bottom third in the NFL since Fisher was hired and brought in Schottenheimer.

The Rams ranked 10th in the league in scoring back in 2006, when they went 8-8 in Scott Linehan’s first season as coach. Since then, they haven’t ranked better than 21st in scoring or 23rd in yardage.

The defense has ranked near the middle of the pack in the first three seasons under Fisher. If the offense can improve with Nick Foles pulling the trigger and playmakers in place like running back Tre Mason and a group of receivers that includes Cook, Kenny Britt, Brian Quick and Tavon Austin, then St. Louis could finally break through the .500 barrier and compete for a playoff spot.

“I think now is our opportunity to just go out and get it,” Cook said. “I don't think it's a matter of if, I think it's a matter of when. As long as we’re clicking on all cylinders, as long as we’re communicating, as long as we’re taking care of our side of the ball and doing the things we can control — the defense is going to be good, we know how good our defense is — but as long as we control the things that we can control, I don’t think we’ll have a problem.”

jjab360

Legend
I guess with Bradford and Long gone, Cook's our designated offensive leader/spokesman until Foles gets acclimated?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So many talented weapons on offense that have yet to reach their potential. Cigs is the Rams' biggest question mark, so it feels good to hear one of them talk him up.

If Cigs is up for the job this team is gonna be in business and we will enjoy a helluva season.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Well, it's not like we are replacing a guy that had great results or anything. . . .
There aren't many places to go but up with the new guy.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
He says he's excited to be with Cigs? DOES THAT MEAN HE SECRETLY HATED SCHOTT THIS WHOLE TIME? SAME OLE BLABBERMOUTH COOK.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
The Rams ranked 10th in the league in scoring back in 2006, when they went 8-8 in Scott Linehan’s first season as coach. Since then, they haven’t ranked better than 21st in scoring or 23rd in yardage.

I hadn't realised we were so bad

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I realized we were bad, but not that bad...that's essentially historically bad. Should tell us that we need to draft offense here, pretty much every pick
Yeh, we have a lot of work to do. Thats why I'm worried we're going to draft a DE or something in 1 - we need offense all the way. I've just realised that give our defence to any of last year's play off team and they are SB champions.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Will the new OC be teaching Cook to catch the ball with consistency. Lol I hope he shows the better parts of what Schotty did and doesn't lull us to sleep with the same ole offense.

Athos

Legend
What I'm looking for most is situational play competency / keeping with what's working.

If Cigs offers that, that's a heads up on Shotty.

jap

Legend
I really hope Cookie is working on his catching. He is such a mismatch nightmare that upgrading his hands would be tantamount to acquiring a new TE|WR. The guy has unreal catching range and premier speed & agility for a TE. If he is sucking LB's and DB's toward him, a few times a game a small guy like Tavon|Sted can sneak deep.

By the same token, I hope Jolly 'Ole Saint Nick Foles is working on his overall strength, footwork, timing, reads, etc. We don't need any more drives stalling because lame duck passes due to a weak arm, or poor footwork, etc.

It's high time this team starts accumulating some serious wins!

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
He says he's excited to be with Cigs? DOES THAT MEAN HE SECRETLY HATED SCHOTT THIS WHOLE TIME? SAME OLE BLABBERMOUTH COOK.
I would not be surprised if a lot of offensive player were not happy with the former OC.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I really hope Cookie is working on his catching.
I would hope that all the receivers are standing in front of a ball throwing machine at least an hour a day in the off season. I know I would be.

jap

Legend
I would hope that all the receivers are standing in front of a ball throwing machine at least an hour a day in the off season. I know I would be.

Yeah, but I am especially concerned with Cookie. He has had some untimely drops on what could have been big plays over the last two years. I don't want to see all that speed and athleticism going to waste because of butter-finger hands!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
So Fisher wanted to maintain some level of continuity? I was hoping for some offense this year. :(

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So Fisher wanted to maintain some level of continuity? I was hoping for some offense this year. :(
This is what is making me wonder about the offense this year.

How much does Fisher control everything? Lots of OCs came into town... then left. Some didn't even want to talk to the Rams.

Eventually, we end up with Cignetti - who Fisher says was the plan all along, IIRC?

Does Fisher really want to shake things up? Or is he content with continuing down the same path because he is "just sure" it's the way to go. He's a pretty head-strong coach.

If that is the case, I don't see Cignetti "convincing" Fisher that his (Cignetti's) way is better and getting approval to make some significant changes to the offensive scheme.

Generally, continuity is a good thing....

But "continuity", when applied to a failing system, is not a good thing.

I really hope I am wrong and Fisher has given Cignetti the keys to the offense and will let him run with it. He may fail.... but at least it wasn't the same offense.

lockdnram21

Legend
This is what is making me wonder about the offense this year.

How much does Fisher control everything? Lots of OCs came into town... then left. Some didn't even want to talk to the Rams.

Eventually, we end up with Cignetti - who Fisher says was the plan all along, IIRC?

Does Fisher really want to shake things up? Or is he content with continuing down the same path because he is "just sure" it's the way to go. He's a pretty head-strong coach.

If that is the case, I don't see Cignetti "convincing" Fisher that his (Cignetti's) way is better and getting approval to make some significant changes to the offensive scheme.

Generally, continuity is a good thing....

But "continuity", when applied to a failing system, is not a good thing.

I really hope I am wrong and Fisher has given Cignetti the keys to the offense and will let him run with it. He may fail.... but at least it wasn't the same offense.

Fisher already said that we want to do what we do better. So I see no change in offense just expect them to excute better so some might be mad. Want be know creativity . Think they build the line and try and run all day and pass only when u have to