Contract Extensions for the core group

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Follow me while I dream.

I think the Rams have something special here with McVay. Not to get too far ahead of things, but coaching is extremely important in football, and here we are with what appears in a small sample size to be one of the best in a long time.

Surely the players see this. Surely they also see how much talent is on this roster. I wonder if they (and their agents) will go a step further.

This is a salary cap league - the best way for uber talented players to maximize their career earnings is thru free agency - get every dollar you can while the getting is good - we all understand that.

But maybe there is a real financial interest in taking less money under the cap to be on this team. If this coach really is as special as we think, if the talent level on this team really is as elite as we think it is, then maybe these guys get together and all agree to keep the core together to make a run at being a dynasty.

Sure, there is a big difference between what they could get per year in free agency then there is giving a hometown discount - but what is the monetary value associated with being part of a legendary run in one of the biggest markets in the world? Whether it is endorsement deals, a broadcasting career down the road, or thinking about how much easier it is to get a gold jacket with multiple rings on your finger - there may be incentives for this core group to want to stick together - and to sign deals that would allow that to happen longer term.

Its a pipe dream, I know that. These guys are going to get as much as they can in salary - and no one should blame them. But there is something to be said with wanting to play for a winner - and this Rams team may all of a sudden be the destination for guys who want to win.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
keep the core together to make a run at being a dynasty.

Whether it is endorsement deals, a broadcasting career down the road, or thinking about how much easier it is to get a gold jacket with multiple rings on your finger - there may be incentives for this core group to want to stick together - and to sign deals that would allow that to happen longer term.

^^^This is where you won...
There will be incentive, and an urgency to win if the core group remains intact.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We can extend who we need to extend for now and we will be fine until Goff needs re-signed.

We're golden until that point. And that's 4 years away.

We have a ton of cap space going into next year, and Quinn could be cut to make even more space.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Well, I certainly agree that players should consider the Big Picture when they become FA’s, rather than just the dollars.

But I am comforted by this realization.

This S&M combo appears to be very capable of finding and developing talent should a vet FA walk.

An Aaron Donald can’t be completely replaced, it’s true. But a capable player can and will be found and developed that will fit nicely into Wade’s scheme, if necessary.

This applies even more so to lesser non future HOF type players that might be lost.

Losing current starters to FA next offseason is hardly the end of the world given the abilities of Snead and McVay and his coaching staff.

It’s a good feeling, huh?

Turducken

Starter
Gotta take it one franchise player at a time. Snead likes to extend first rounders before they enter the fifth year. 2018 extend AD, 2019 extend Gurley, 2020 extend Goff.

Front office could gamble that CBA renegotiations will make megadeals for both AD and Goff possible under the new cap.

fearsomefour

Legend
I see the Raiders gaining a huge advantage in FA when they go to Vegas.
No state income tax, attracting young guy with a bunch money and Vegas??
Moths to the flame....

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
but what is the monetary value associated with being part of a legendary run in one of the biggest markets in the world? Whether it is endorsement deals, a broadcasting career down the road, or thinking about how much easier it is to get a gold jacket with multiple rings on your finger - there may be incentives for this core group to want to stick together - and to sign deals that would allow that to happen longer term.

Its a pipe dream, I know that. These guys are going to get as much as they can in salary - and no one should blame them. But there is something to be said with wanting to play for a winner - and this Rams team may all of a sudden be the destination for guys who want to win.

Very well said imo. There are so many incentives beyond a straight here-and-now payday to consider. Not only should it help keep a core together, these winning cultural-benefits will also attract more players here should we need to replace some that "get away."