Conservative Game Plans?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zero

Pro Bowler
I have heard the word "conservative" thrown out when describing our offensive game
plans verses Jags,Seahawks and Vikings.
I am curious whether you guys feel this more Mcvay protecting our young QB,
Mcvay's general philosophy or a young coach feeling his way through
his first year as a HC. Thoughts?

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
You can come up with any theory. Bottomline out of all the rookie coaches this year that got their HC gig he is still 7-3. I honestly think he is treading the waters, and bring ultra conservative.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Definitely on that 4th & 3 punt in the fourth quarter. If you don't put the ball in your offense's hands, it is difficult to score points.

Ramer

Been a Ram fan too long to quit now
I have heard the word "conservative" thrown out when describing our offensive game
plans verses Jags,Seahawks and Vikings.
I am curious whether you guys feel this more Mcvay protecting our young QB,
Mcvay's general philosophy or a young coach feeling his way through
his first year as a HC. Thoughts?

I think it has to do with the defenses the Rams were playing against.

fearsomefour

Legend
Depends what is meant by conservative.
The Rams came out throwing and didn't fully commit to the run. Vs the Vikings does this mean short passing? There was some of that but also plenty of times where Goff surveyed the field, holding the ball.
The Rams held up pass blocking better than I expected. Didn't run the ball as much as I thought.
The main issue with the game plan was after the injuries to the CBs the Rams went into soft
coverage and the Vikings possessed the ball most of the second half.
The truth of the Vikings game is their O was better than our D. They scored 24 points and missed two FGs.
My only issue with the play calling vs the Vikings was the run on third and one...very predictable. But, in fairness, with the left side of the line you should have been able to get one yard.
The roll outs didn't have a ton of success either. Every week we run a bunch of them. They are safe passes but I think teams are starting to get a read on those. But, again, if properly executed should work.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Shoulda, woulda, coulda.........McVay and Wade still figuring and feeling this team out. I hate picking up a loss, but it makes what needs upgrading and what needs to be re-thunk more apparent. Rams are still a work in progress.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I posted this in another thread but... It felt just like the Seattle game, the offense went away from has worked for them. 4 rushes in the 1st drive then 11 the rest of the game. No Tavon, those sweeps open up both the passing and running game. You can't expect to have success on PA if the D doesn't expect you to run. The Vikings had that deep shot to Woods sniffed out.

JRobinson

MiLB
Shoulda, woulda, coulda.........McVay and Wade still figuring and feeling this team out. I hate picking up a loss, but it makes what needs upgrading and what needs to be re-thunk more apparent. Rams are still a work in progress.

Good post and agreed.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Seattle we fell apart and that game was our first real test being behind and facing a top D. Jags game we were getting 5 yds a carry, so there was no real reason to get pretty against a secondary that picked off Rothelisburger 5 times the weekend before. This game i feel even though uo againat a great defense, we were moving the ball through the air and ground decently. Im still waiting to see these multiple TE sets that McVay was notorious for at Wash. Tavon didn't see the field, and while i usually think that's a good thing (you can only do jet sweeps so often and imo he is very undersized for a rb) I would have done anything to throw the defense off. Gurley was nonexistent as a receiver as well. We played conservative to a point but not as conservative as Fisherball, which i can't complain about. As a whole i think this was one of the least creative offenses we've ran when we didnt really need to be too conservative.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

There it is. This team has improved tremendously. But they still have deficiencies. And they have a quarterback who's very early in his career. There are still a lot of things he needs to learn.

I just hope all that talk about how good they are didn't get in their heads. Its clear they haven't arrived when they play a legit defense. My hope is that they're good enough to re-focus and get back on track for a playoff spot.

At this point I really don't know if they will. We'll have to wait and see. We have 6 games left with 4 very tough teams. We're gonna find out how far they've come.

Psycho_X

Legend
It kind of goes both ways, Goff has to take what is given to him as well. Detailed very well in this tweet/gif. Gurley has daylight to the redzone and possibly a touchdown in the open field. But gets thrown to triple coverage. Now, pressure was coming and he can't step into his throw which was a problem. But it seemed like they weren't conservative enough at times. Got to take what the defense gives you.... especially one like the Vikings currently have.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It kind of goes both ways, Goff has to take what is given to him as well. Detailed very well in this tweet/gif. Gurley has daylight to the redzone and possibly a touchdown in the open field. But gets thrown to triple coverage. Now, pressure was coming and he can't step into his throw which was a problem. But it seemed like they weren't conservative enough at times. Got to take what the defense gives you.... especially one like the Vikings currently have.

All 22 can be deceiving. Goff has no time to look off that route, gets drilled as he throws it

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I also don't think they expected whitworths man to go left on that play.
I also think that if Goff isnt hit, pass travels 10 yards further and doesnt appear to be the head scratcher that it was

poLARizing

UDFA
Question - Do you guys think that maybe Wade was out coached or was the scheme right but the players did not execute or not have the right personnel to execute the scheme? Can't really say if the CBs were burned all day or the D-line did not generate enough of a pass rush to help the CBs.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I also think that if Goff isnt hit, pass travels 10 yards further and doesnt appear to be the head scratcher that it was
Woods did a beautiful job batting down his own ball though to make sure it wasnt intercepted. Maybe he can play cb if he's ok and NRC or Webster are still injured. Lol

96GS#007

Pro Bowler
Question - Do you guys think that maybe Wade was out coached or was the scheme right but the players did not execute or not have the right personnel to execute the scheme? Can't really say if the CBs were burned all day or the D-line did not generate enough of a pass rush to help the CBs.

I think our D was gassed and we were down to our 4th and 5th CBs playing their top receivers. I think if our O could have put together 2-3 decent drives...even if they only got a field goals out of them...the 4th quarter may have looked different.

Ram65

Legend
I just rewatched the game. Before rewatching the game I thought McVay should have passed more because the run game was bad in the second half.

Passes 37
sacks 2
QB runs 2
41 drop backs 15 runs for only Gurley.

Watching the game again and looking at the numbers it seems that McVay wasn't conservative overall. He was trying to attack downfield with passes but the pass rush didn't allow Goff enough time. Shorter passes could have helped. Some calls were conservative

The 3rd and 15 quick screen to Woods when the score was tied at 7-7 3rd quarter.
The 3rd and 1-2 run to Gurley when the score was 14-7.
Punting with the Rams down 21-7 in the 4th and 2.

The last two were too conservative. First one a little bit but, it was still a 7-7 game. Hard to say the play calls overall were too conservative. The Vikings put pressure on Goff that stopped some big pass completions. McVay was attacking the middle of the field mid range while Shurmur was hitting shorter YAC passes to the sides.

After rewatching the game the Kupp fumble and drop, Hekker poor punt from the end zone, Donalds second push of Keenum (roughing the passer)and some others were player miscues the Rams couldn't overcome. Easy to second guess the long throw to Woods but, they were moving the ball. I don't who called that play Goff or McVay but it seemed to take the momentum away from the Rams.