Connor Cook

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jjab360

Legend
Watching Cook play and ignoring the leadership rumors, guy just looks like an NFL QB. Reminds me a lot of Eli tbh. Just technically sound in all aspects, strong arm, quick release, solid mechanics, tape of him throwing the entire route tree. Really the only thing keeping him from being a top 5 pick on the field is that he's not consistently accurate. Which is not to say that he's inaccurate like a Nick Foles missing a ton of open guys, it's just that 4 times out of 5 he's making a perfect throw, but that 5th throw makes you go wtf. Eli is the same way, which is how I came to that comparison. You can win with an Eli with the right surrounding cast and a good defense.

I think he's the type of guy who could take us to the playoffs as a rookie, but won't ever become a top 5/8 NFL QB like I think Wentz and Goff can be.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
LINK: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...te-quarterback-leadership-questions/77685464/

Why does Michigan State's Connor Cook get as much criticism as credit?

EAST LANSING, Mich. — No one's exactly sure the origin of the narrative that follows Michigan State quarterback Connor Cook.

Maybe it started when he wasn't named a team captain this season. Perhaps it grew exponentially after video of his post-Big Ten championship game accidental blow-by of Archie Griffin went viral. Certainly, the flames have been fanned in recent weeks by critical NFL scouts who were granted anonymity by various outlets to suggest Cook enjoys being a "celebrity" and doesn't work hard enough at actual football, or that he carries himself in an off-putting way.

Taken together, a narrative emerges. An outside perception is formed and reinforced. But to those on the inside, none of that matters.

"He's the quarterback," offensive lineman Jack Conklin said. "People are going to praise him. People are going to try to tear him down. It's just the nature of the position. He's the leader of our team.

"You can't say the right things all the time. … But Connor's a great leader and a good guy."

And, yes, Cook is extremely confident. He's self-assured. His personality is a change-up from, say, Kirk Cousins and Michigan State quarterbacks past.

But you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who would argue that any of that has affected Cook or his team in a negative way. Despite not being named a captain — which, again, his teammates say hasn't mattered — he's thrown for 2,921 yards and 24 touchdowns this season. He is 34-4 as a starter, the winningest quarterback in Michigan State history. The Spartans, Cotton Bowl-bound as the No. 3 seed in the College Football Playoff, are two wins away from a national championship with Cook under center. And he's healthy.

"This team is built on all sorts of leaders," Conklin said. "It's hard and makes Connor maybe not look the best when he's not voted captain, but that's not the case. We have so many leaders on this team, and that's why we're in this position right now."
Conklin shared a story that he believes shows the real Connor Cook. After Cook was named MVP of the Big Ten championship, he gave his trophy to the offensive line, telling that group that Michigan State would not have won the game without them. The trophy sits in the offensive line meeting room.

"That goes to show his character right there," Conklin said. "He's not a selfish guy just trying to get trophies to put up at his house. He's about the team and about winning a national championship for Michigan State." Cook didn't want to address any of these topics when he met with the media at the team's media day last week. But he did want to again apologize for how the incident with Griffin appeared.

"People are going to say what they're going to say on Twitter, and it's nothing I can control," Cook said. "I'm not going to let it get to me. I've talked to Archie Griffin, and he was cool with it. He knew I didn't mean anything by it. That's all that matters. If any one else really says anything, I don't really care as long as Archie's cool with it. I apologized to him and talked to him. That's all that matters."

Said center Jack Allen: "He's a mentally tough guy, and he knows what to shrug off. He knows what's important and what's not important."

What is important at this juncture is actual football — and preparing for a daunting test in No. 2 Alabama's vaunted front seven. Cook is healthier than he's been since injuring his shoulder a little over a month ago. He has time to rest, time for treatment and time to prepare.

635863063808468748-USP-NCAA-FOOTBALL-BIG-TEN-CHAMPIONSHIP-IOWA-VS-MI-78091450.JPG

Cook shares his Big Ten Championship MVP trophy with the crowd, and later with the Spartans' offensive line. (Photo: Brian Spurlock, USA TODAY Sports)

"What separates him in the pocket, he's got a great release, he's big, he's tall, he's a very confident player," Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio said. "He throws to guys who are open and he can fit the ball in very, very tight windows as we've seen throughout the year. I think he's having his best year as a senior. He's played on a big stage in big games, and he's been extremely successful."

The biggest stage is yet to come. And Cook knows his performance will likely be the determining factor in the Cotton Bowl.

"I'm comfortable with it," Cook said. "It's no different than any other game. You go out there and got to execute the pass game, you got to execute the run game. There's pressure in every single game. I'm not looking at this game differently than any other game. Every game's important. Every game is going to come down to the quarterback."

Might as well give his critics something to talk about.