Connor Cook

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stel

Starter
Agent's decision, I'd guess. Probably doesn't want to expose him to an uncontrolled workout.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@Memphis Ram, think they're worried about how he'll play or how he'll interact with players and coaching staff!!

Top QBs turn it down every year. He doesn't have anything left to prove. Already plays in a pro style system and has 3 years of film in that offense in the Big 10. Makes more sense for guys like Carson Wentz than it does for Cook.

But I still wish he chose to play.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cant believe you still like this kid.
Guys turn down senior bowl, but typically due to injury and after the crap burger he served against Alabama youd think he'd try to make up for it

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cant believe you still like this kid.
Guys turn down senior bowl, but typically due to injury and after the crap burger he served against Alabama youd think he'd try to make up for it

http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/growing-number-of-nfl-hopefuls-declining-senior-bowl-invites/
A number of guys turn it down. Included Mariota last year.

I think Cook should have accepted his invite. But there wasn't as much to gain for a guy like him imo. You also have to keep in mind that him declining might be related to his injury.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Top QBs turn it down every year. He doesn't have anything left to prove. Already plays in a pro style system and has 3 years of film in that offense in the Big 10. Makes more sense for guys like Carson Wentz than it does for Cook.

Too true. But the "why" is always fascinating. Does he have more to lose from putting tape out there in an uncontrolled environment or does he have more to lose by putting "himself" out there in an uncontrolled environment. ;)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Too true. But the "why" is always fascinating. Does he have more to lose from putting tape out there in an uncontrolled environment or does he have more to lose by putting "himself" out there in an uncontrolled environment. ;)

My guess? Doesn't think it's worth risking injury. And...his shoulder might not be healed up yet. But like I said, if he's healthy, I think it would have been smart of him to play.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't like it. I don't like it at all for this particular player and this particular year in which there are a lot of talented QBs. Cook should be showing up and demonstrating his competitive streak and why he's the best QB in the draft. That should be his mentality.

I get why he might follow the recommendation to avoid injury. But the knocks on this guy are personality/locker room related so IMO whoever is giving him this advice has the potential to cost him some money and draft position. I see the decision as a mistake, and maybe a big one depending on what teams dig up in relation to those rumors we have heard.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I will say, I absolutely agree with Jrry32 that Cook has nothing to gain from going to Senior Bowl (I think that's part of his argument). I think the point I'm going to make is that with the questions surrounding Cook's leadership abilities, he may have more to lose from showing up to something like that than just re-injuring himself or putting bad tape out there.

I get really skittish about guys with those questions but they shouldn't be completely discounted. Cam Newton had some issues with maturity and leadership questions coming into the NFL and he blossomed. There are and always will be exceptions to the rule.

I love the above clip but I think you can only read what you want to read into it... I'm more curious how a starter like him was never named caption. If I was a scout, I'd have a lot of questions about that.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm more curious how a starter like him was never named caption. If I was a scout, I'd have a lot of questions about that.

I'd like to see him in a different setting and see how he does and see his out of his comfort zone. There are possibly 3 QBs ahead of him right now. He needs to prove why he is better. If he is injured then that is one thing. But if not he should go.

I thought he has plenty to gain. I can see him taking a day 2 slide due to all the questions on him

Me too.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought he has plenty to gain. I can see him taking a day 2 slide due to all the questions on him.

Eh...there isn't a ton to gain for him. Guys that come from spread offenses or lower level of competition have a lot to gain. There are no questions about Cook's ability to run a pro style offense or his level of competition. Does he have something to gain at the Senior Bowl? Sure. But there's not nearly as much to gain for him as there is for a guy like Carson Wentz.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Eh...there isn't a ton to gain for him. Guys that come from spread offenses or lower level of competition have a lot to gain. There are no questions about Cook's ability to run a pro style offense or his level of competition. Does he have something to gain at the Senior Bowl? Sure. But there's not nearly as much to gain for him as there is for a guy like Carson Wentz.
True. You're right. A bad outing could sink him too. Good point. Do you think he's a starting caliber guy?