Connor Cook Best Fit for Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
The more I think about it, the more I think Connor Cook is the guy at some point after 15 barring a trade up for Wentz or Goff. I am not completely sold on him yet, but behind Wentz and Goff he may be the best fit for the Rams.

Here are several reasons why
  1. Rams place a premium on pro style experience, which could be the Rams most important factor when drafting a QB.
  2. Cook has 3 years of experience in a pro style heavy play action offense, which is exactly what the rams run.
  3. After the Quick Pead debacle in Snisher's first draft the day 2 prospects the rams drafted fit a clear profile: extremely productive players, from top programs, with plenty of college starts under the belts (ie Joyner, Havenstein, Brown, Mason, TJ, Sted)
  4. Cook fits the profile as a 3 year starter, 34-5 record, 5-2 against the top 10, and holds nearly every Michigan State passing record.
  5. Fisher and Snead are in contract limbo and need to win now (even if they get extended). It may be in their best interest to get a guy who can overtake Keenum sooner rather than later.
  6. Both Fisher and Sneed cited Foles lack of experience in a pro style offense as a reason for his struggles.
  7. Cook is at his best in the vertical passing game, which suits the foundation of the Rams offense: give it to 30, misdirection with tavon, and play action deep shots (especially if they get that deep threat at 15).
  8. Rams play under center more than anyone in the league. Getting a guy who never did it in college isn't the best fit for immediate impact.
  9. He is very cocky, but the Rams certainty like players with a little more edge to them, so he could be a good fit in their locker room
  10. They selected Mannion who had plenty pro style experience in college over higher upside? spread guys like Hundley and Petty.
  11. Fisher has an aversion to playing rookie QBs and Centers, but will play people with pro style experience in college earlier. Even with all our QB struggles and Mannions pro style experience Fisher only played him in meaningless mop up duty in a game where he was only active because of injury.
  12. On tape I saw Cook run misdirection run play action deep shot plays the Rams seem to run at least once a game several times, so he is already familiar with some concepts that are important to the Ram

Like I said, I am not sold and the under 60% completion percentage is definitely concerning, but there are plenty of reasons to think the Rams will be hot on his heels.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
giphy.gif

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
They drafted a better armed Cook last year.
Does Mannion need another QB besides Foles to feel superior to.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am paying a lot of attention to Cook. Trying to watch video and reading up on reports.

I think StealYo could very well be right on this one. I said it in another thread too.

The Rams might take a short trade down, just a little, to be sure to get Cook. Then go on a spree with their remaining primo picks.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This board knows that I love me some Cook lol. the under 60 percent completion percentage can be explained pretty easily actually. As Cook and many other pundits have said, Cook does not check down and he likes the vertical and sometimes risky throws. He will need to improve but Cook is a straight up gun slinger. He wants to challenge defenses and if the window is there he will attack it (a problem that some of us hated about a certain other qb). He goes through his progressions like a pro style qb is supposed to. His arm strength is the only problem to me and it isn't like he can't make all of the throws. I really do not see what people hate about Cook other than his minor inconsistency. Dude can string together a beautiful drive where he hits every tight window provided to him and he can miss two to three wide open guys the next drive. THAT may hurt him at the pro level, but he has all of the skills.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This board knows that I love me some Cook lol. the under 60 percent completion percentage can be explained pretty easily actually. As Cook and many other pundits have said, Cook does not check down and he likes the vertical and sometimes risky throws. He will need to improve but Cook is a straight up gun slinger. He wants to challenge defenses and if the window is there he will attack it (a problem that some of us hated about a certain other qb). He goes through his progressions like a pro style qb is supposed to. His arm strength is the only problem to me and it isn't like he can't make all of the throws. I really do not see what people hate about Cook other than his minor inconsistency. Dude can string together a beautiful drive where he hits every tight window provided to him and he can miss two to three wide open guys the next drive. THAT may hurt him at the pro level, but he has all of the skills.

Okay one question....Did you watch the Alabama game? Now I'm not one that wants to judge a person on one game, but Alabama totally took away the Spartans ability to run and dared Cook to beat via the pass and he couldn't.

He was great in 2013 not so great in 2014 and in fact was totally outplayed by J.T. Barrett when they played against Ohio State at home and then last year seem to really struggle albeit the injury factor. Now I realize he likes to throw vertical, but that's not the only reason for the low completion percentage because Cook has times where he can't hit the broad side of the barn and then once he gets in rhythm, is much better.

I can understand why the Rams might like Cook because the Rams are a carbon copy to Michigan State on how they play football and Cook is a three year starter that has won many games against excellent competition, but IMHO from accuracy standpoint, I believe the Rams can do much better.

Last edited:

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Cook is at his best in the vertical passing game, which suits the foundation of the Rams offense: give it to 30, misdirection with tavon, and play action deep shots (especially if they get that deep threat at 15).

It is what they are/might be targeting. Fuller before Coleman. Never Tredwell. 3rd choice Doctson.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
However, some updated information that is a counterpoint to my debate about Cook's completion percentage:
CfdcweiW4AE6RDm.jpg

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@den-the-coach
pops up quite a list....Joe Montana was 52% ????? Wow....all I can say is hmmmmm....

I still like Cook....I still like Hackenberg too....and I don't really wanna trade up....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Okay one question....Did you watch the Alabama game? Now I'm not one that wants to judge a person on one game, but Alabama totally took away the Spartans ability to run and dared Cook to beat via the pass and he couldn't.
I watched it twice, because the first time I watched it, I couldn't understand how I came away from it with a higher opinion of Cook than before I watched it. Bama not only took away the run game, they took away their receivers too. I replayed several plays from that game where I was able to see the coverage, and there was NOTHING for Cook to throw to. And even when he did get a few small windows, his receivers didn't help all that often (drops). Just an excellent defensive game by Kirby Smart. So while the score was awful, I didn't care about that. I cared about how Cook played while under that kind of duress, and I was impressed. He had a few throws that were ill advised, but they were eclipsed by the sheer determination and guts he showed me in that game.

THAT SAID, it also showed me what it would look like if he was drafted by the Rams and they didn't take significant steps to improve the receivers and tight ends here. The Rams didn't run a lot of 12 personnel with Foles or Keenum, but they would almost have to if they drafted Cook. And that's the scary part. Kendricks/Harkey/Gurley + 5 O-linemen + 2 receivers. Which two receivers? Quick and Britt? Mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I watched it twice, because the first time I watched it, I couldn't understand how I came away from it with a higher opinion of Cook than before I watched it. if they drafted Cook. And that's the scary part. Kendricks/Harkey/Gurley + 5 O-linemen + 2 receivers. Which two receivers? Quick and Britt? Mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I came away with a Quarterback that could not rally his team guess I'm looking for more in a signal caller, I have seen games where they have taken much away and the great ones salvage something.

Every year Cook was not as good as the previous year and although he gets a bum rap for his leadership ability, he's not exactly Joe Montana, in fact, he's not even Tony Montana. Now if the Rams draft him I will support the pick and I have a ram comrade of mine that is a Michigan State fan and he feels very strongly that Cook will be a great pro so I would go in another direction, but I totally understand why he's on many people's short list.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I came away with a Quarterback that could not rally his team guess I'm looking for more in a signal caller, I have seen games where they have taken much away and the great ones salvage something.

Every year Cook was not as good as the previous year and although he gets a bum rap for his leadership ability, he's not exactly Joe Montana, in fact, he's not even Tony Montana. Now if the Rams draft him I will support the pick and I have a ram comrade of mine that is a Michigan State fan and he feels very strongly that Cook will be a great pro so I would go in another direction, but I totally understand why he's on many people's short list.
That's the beauty of this time of year. People can see things entirely different, and that's cool. I am definitely not a proponent of the Rams taking him at 15 (assuming Lynch is gone by then too). I'm sticking to my guns and suggesting we dramatically upgrade the offense before we even think about reaching for a QB in this draft. Anyone outside of Goff would be a waste of a pick in the first round anyway, IMO. I'd just as soon like to see them take Cody Kessler in the 4th or something if they're looking to add another QB for competition, and use our first 3 picks on weapons.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'd just as soon like to see them take Cody Kessler in the 4th or something if they're looking to add another QB for competition, and use our first 3 picks on weapons.

I agree somewhat on this as I hope they can land Goff too because I'm not getting any younger and I sure as hell would like to find a solution at Quarterback. As to Kessler, largest hands in the draft class,who was one of the most accurate so I guess the Rams could do far worse, but history has not been kind to USC Quarterbacks.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I agree somewhat on this as I hope they can land Goff too because I'm not getting any younger and I sure as hell would like to find a solution at Quarterback. As to Kessler, largest hands in the draft class,who was one of the most accurate so I guess the Rams could do far worse, but history has not been kind to USC Quarterbacks.
Agree. And it's a lateral move at best to what we already have on the roster.
So I'm with you on that. If they can't get Goff, then don't even bother (this year).

How do you feel about Lynch?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
How do you feel about Lynch?

I like Lynch feel he has a great upside and did not have a good bowl game, but his Head Coach had left so I gave him a pass. I'm a fan of someone 6'7 that can run and has a great arm as well, plus I love the city of Memphis.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter

He was great in 2013 not so great in 2014 and in fact was totally outplayed by J.T. Barrett when they played against Ohio State at home and then last year seem to really struggle albeit the injury factor. Now I realize he likes to throw vertical, but that's not the only reason for the low completion percentage because Cook has times where he can't hit the broad side of the barn and then once he gets in rhythm, is much better.

I can understand why the Rams might like Cook because the Rams are a carbon copy to Michigan State on how they play football and Cook is a three year starter that has won many games against excellent competition, but IMHO from accuracy standpoint, I believe the Rams can do much better.

Since you are going to use the Alabama game as an example, did any other QB's last season come close to beating Alabama other than Chad Kelly and Deshaun Watson? And, I presume you are considering the fact that Alabama turned the ball over 5 times against Ole Miss? I mention this game because if you consider Alabama on a normal day, no QB besides Watson scored points consistently against Alabama.

And this, "..and then last year seem to really struggle albeit the injury factor". hmmm, I 'don't know where this comes from. The Spartans offense avg'd over 29 points a game last season, including the big donut against Alabama, with Cook missing most of the Maryland game and all of the Ohio State game. Struggle?

I'm not advocating the Rams drafting Cook as much as I am defending him against irrational critiques.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
I live in Big 10 country and saw a lot of Cook. Nothing against him, but I think Mannion can be a waaaaaaay better pro.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If the Rams sit at 15 and Lynch is gone and they take Cook I'm gonna crack the 21 year scotch and commence drinking.

That said, IF the Rams love Cook and think he's gonna be a good NFL QB they need to take him there at 15. Why? Buffalo looming at 19, Jets in the 20s, Denver bottom of the order. They can't afford to F around, they gotta get another good QB into that room.

I've accepted that they're not gonna move up. But as long as they don't get too cute with the QB position this time around things should work out alright. What will get them into trouble is their targeted guy slipping through their fingers because they outsmarted themselves.