Connor Barwin feels at home in Wade Phillips' 3-4 scheme/LA Times

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Connor Barwin feels at home in Wade Phillips' 3-4 scheme

upload_2017-6-27_7-22-28.png

Rams linebacker Connor Barwin participates in organized team activities on the campus of California Lutheran University on May 22. (Luis Sinco / Los Angeles Times)

By Gary Klein

Photos posted to Connor Barwin’s social media accounts last week showed the NFL veteran enjoying a honeymoon trip in Italy.

Upon his return to Southern California, the eight-year pro will resume preparations for his first season with the Rams.

After stints with the Houston Texans and Philadelphia Eagles, including last season’s trials as a defensive end in a 4-3 scheme, Barwin has been reunited with defensive coordinator Wade Phillips.

Perhaps more importantly, he is again playing outside linebacker in Phillips’ hybrid 3-4 scheme.

The position feels like home.

“It really does,” Barwin said this month at minicamp before leaving for Europe. “I mean there’s certain things I can do and I can take advantage of that you can’t necessarily do being down in an even front every single play.

"And it feels good to be back in this system.”

Barwin, 30, is one of several free agents signed by the Rams during the offseason. Barwin, offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth and receiver Robert Woods were pursued for their on-field talent and the leadership and example they would bring to the locker room, new coach Sean McVay said.

Barwin, 6 feet 5 and 255 pounds, played in college at Cincinnati and was a second-round draft pick by the Texans in 2009. He had 4½ sacks as a rookie but was sidelined nearly the entire 2010 season because of an ankle injury.

In 2011, Phillips took over the Texans’ defense and installed a 3-4, turning Barwin loose off the edge. Barwin developed into a premium pass rusher and produced 11½ sacks.

Six years later, Barwin has 50½ sacks.

“He’s bigger and stronger than he was,” Phillips said. “He ran a 4.5-something at the [NFL scouting] combine when he came out, so he can run.

“But he’s a big, strong fast guy now.”

Barwin is three years removed from his most productive NFL season.

In 2014, playing in a 3-4 scheme for the Eagles, Barwin recorded a career-best 14½ sacks and was voted to the Pro Bowl.

He moved to right defensive end last season when the Eagles switched to a 4-3. Barwin did the gritty work against elite NFC East left tackles such as Tyron Smith of the Dallas Cowboys and Trent Williams of the Washington Redskins.

But he was credited with only five sacks.

“It was a big adjustment for me,” said Barwin, who in March was released by the Eagles in a move to clear salary-cap space. “I thought the last month of the season was probably my best four games. And I was excited to be back there and continue to adjust in that new role because it takes time.

“But that didn’t work out and this couldn’t be a better situation for me.”

Barwin joins a Rams defense that includes three-time Pro Bowl tackle Aaron Donald, veteran tackle Michael Brockers, inside linebackers Alec Ogletree and Mark Barron, and outside linebacker Robert Quinn, who played end in a 4-3 scheme in his first six NFL seasons.

Barwin is “energetic and fresh, like a rookie,” Brockers said, and already has made an impression with his knowledge of the 3-4.

“He just locks up his side and does what he has to do for the defense,” Brockers said. “You don’t have to stress about a new guy in a new position.

“He’s been in this defense and he knows what he’s doing. So you just throw him in there and he gets to work.”

After Barwin was released by the Eagles, he weighed an opportunity to sign with the Cincinnati Bengals. But the chance to play again for Phillips in the 3-4 was too attractive.

Phillips, 70, has not changed all that much, Barwin said. But Phillips’ 3-4, while familiar, has evolved.

“There’s a lot of calls I remember from my two years in Houston with him,” Barwin said, “but there’s a bunch of new stuff that, I think, is a sign of a good coach.

“He’s always evolving with what’s happening in the league and making adjustments. And that’s who Wade’s always been and that’s why he’s been so good.”

The Rams expect Phillips to bring out the best in Barwin, who will earn $3.5 million on a one-year contract, with potential for millions more in bonuses.

“This is really where I want to be playing, the system I want to be in and where I’m going to have the most success,” Barwin said. “And, obviously, this is a great set of guys on defense already.

“So, hopefully, I can add to the group.”

[www.latimes.com]

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I remember when the Rams switched to the 4-3 from the 3-4 in 1991 under Jeff Fisher (should have known then to stay away) and Kevin Greene was like a fish out of water in that scheme trying to play defensive end and left the Rams the following season signing with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the rest is history.

I believe Barwin can have that type of impact with the Los Angeles Rams. I loved Barwin coming out of Cincinnati and I for one hope somehow after a rebound season the Rams can keep him a tad longer.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I like Barwin and what he brings to the table! I really pumped-up after reading this^ article! I hope he get's 14 Sacks again!!(y):D
Along with Qinn's 20 Sacks and Donalds 20 Sacks it will be a good start towards that " Sack Record!":banana::snicker::shades::popcorn::cheers:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I remember when the Rams switched to the 4-3 from the 3-4 in 1991 under Jeff Fisher (should have known then to stay away) and Kevin Greene was like a fish out of water in that scheme trying to play defensive end and left the Rams the following season signing with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the rest is history.
I Remember this too! Everyone thought it would mean a " New Fearsome-Foursome" would be born! It took 3-4 years and Farr learning Karate for the change to work!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I Remember this too! Everyone thought it would mean a " New Fearsome-Foursome" would be born! It took 3-4 years and Farr learning Karate for the change to work!

Rams did not have the talent for the scheme at the time they were playing a cast of castoffs like Mike Charles & Chris Pike at defensive tackle, it was tough to watch got a little better under DC George Dyer who served with Chuck Knox as they added talent, but it was a long time coming for a good defense even under David Shaw's dad Willie Shaw who was the DC under Rich Brooks in St. Louis.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
"He just locks up his side"
Sweet, sweet music to my ears.
This d is gonna kick some ass.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I do not have a preference between a 43 or 34 & the Wade's D is a true mix of these two. I really like this UFA signing of Barwin. I would guess he would start on the strong side OLB post but we could see Quinn & Barwin flipping often too. I am really excited to see what turns out here with Wade's 34 D!

I have always held the position that the 34 D has a big upside in securing these extra large amount of college DE/OSLB'ers Tweeners coming out each & every year. Whereas there is a serious shortage of good 43 DE's. You can always seem to find good 34 edge rusher even into the 3rd day of the draft. Sure helps out on managing the salary cap.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do not have a preference between a 43 or 34 & the Wade's D is a true mix of these two. I really like this UFA signing of Barwin. I would guess he would start on the strong side OLB post but we could see Quinn & Barwin flipping often too. I am really excited to see what turns out here with Wade's 34 D!

I have always held the position that the 34 D has a big upside in securing these extra large amount of college DE/OSLB'ers Tweeners coming out each & every year. Whereas there is a serious shortage of good 43 DE's. You can always seem to find good 34 edge rusher even into the 3rd day of the draft. Sure helps out on managing the salary cap.
Totally agree with the supply of OLB benefitting a 4-3. One thing I also noticed when looking back at Wades past defenses is he usually makes them work with later round and udfa MLB's. Could be some cap savings coming from moving on from Tree and Barron in the near future.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Couple of predictions...

Barwin will have a fine year. Maybe not Pro Bowl, but better than merely solid.

Then I predict that he will sign a 3 year reasonable contract extension. Outstanding player, leader, and teammate. The kind found on numerous playoff teams.

Helluva signing. Can't believe we got him for such a low incentive laden contract, tbh.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/connor-barwin-an-overlooked-addition-for-the-rams

Connor Barwin an overlooked addition for the Rams?
BY DANIEL COHEN

GettyImages-636760652.jpg

PHILADELPHIA, PA - DECEMBER 11: Connor Barwin #98 of the Philadelphia Eagles looks on during the game against the Washington Redskins at Lincoln Financial Field on December 11, 2016 in Philadelphia Pennsylvania. The Redskins defeated the Eagles 27-22. (Photo by Rob Leiter via Getty Images)
  • Bleacher Report named Rams OLB Connor Barwin one of the ten most overlooked additions of 2017. The 30-year-old Barwin signed a one-year deal with the Rams earlier this offseason.
  • Barwin earned an overall PFF grade of just 42.1 in 2016, ranking 100thout of 109 edge defenders. After reaching an apparent peak in 2014 (grade of 78.5), Barwin has seen his grade decline each of the last two seasons.
  • In his best season in 2014, Barwin finished with a pass rush productivity mark of 12.2, ranking sixth out of 43 3-4 OLBs (minimum 150 pass rush snaps) and he notched 56 total pressures over the season.
CONNOR-BARWIN.jpg

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I can't tell if he's trending up or trending down....confusing chart to say the least.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I can't tell if he's trending up or trending down....confusing chart to say the least.
LOL, yeah, a stat I've never heard of used to measure him. By way of comparison, what's Watt's and Donald's numbers? what's Quinn's numbers?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Using their arithmetic. Weighted towards recent productivity in a 3-4.

If he is healthy I would say at least 8 or 9.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Very happy with this UFA signing(y). I would say CB is trending better than Rob Quinn's chart.:unsure:
Using their arithmetic. Weighted towards recent productivity in a 3-4.If he is healthy I would say at least 8 or 9.
I see no health issues anywhere on Conner Barwin resume. When you compare him to Rob Quinn's lack of Health, Barwin is as solid as as they come after 8 NFL seasons. Rob Quinn hasn't been healthy since 2014 season. CB has missed only 1 game since the end of the 2010 season. :bow:If Quinn continues to have health issues, CB would most likely flip to the weak-side in RQ's post

CB a 6-5 255 pound edge rusher was used primarily as the Weak side 43 DE as an Eagle but did flip sides too. I see CB as starter @ the strong side exterior LB'ing post but when he was with the Texans he played the weak side. Does any member see this differently?

In addition CB will be utilized in certain passing situations moving down in the 5 tech DL post too. I see the same for Quinn too on the opposite weak side. With a Nickel or one of the newly drafted edge rushers some playing time i.e. D'Juan Price. CB is a UFA when this season ends so Wade is sure to be developing a economy priced rookie edge rusher to replace CB as the season wears on in case Rams can not sign CB to a 2 to 3 yr high cost $$ contract.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am excited to see the transformation to the 34.

Barwin very much a potential surprise here.