Congressional report calls out NFL for trying to influence NIH study

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Looks like more of The NFL double talk on concussions and the "integrity of the game".
**********************************************************************************************************************
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ls-out-nfl-for-trying-to-influence-nih-study/

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...ened-brain-research-cost-taxpayers-16-million

Posted by Mike Florio on May 23, 2016, 11:18 AM EDT
88397631-chairman-frank-pallone-jr-d-n-j-during-the-gettyimages-e1464016656555.jpg
Getty Images
In March, it became clear that Congress was exploring whether the NFL improperly tried to influence the selection by the National Institutes for Health of a researcher to direct a study regarding the detection of Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy in living patients. The verdict is now in.

Via ESPN.com, the House Committee on Energy and Commerce has found in a 91-page report that the league did indeed attempt to exert undue influence over the process.

“In this instance, our investigation has shown that while the NFL had been publicly proclaiming its role as funder and accelerator of important research, it was privately attempting to influence that research,” the report states, via ESPN.com.

After the league tried unsuccessfully to steer the study away from Robert Stern, the league reneged on a $16 million gift to the NIH. Taxpayers instead bore the cost, and the report concludes that the league was warned that its decision to not follow through on its $16 million commitment would result in public money being used instead.

At a time when plenty has been said about the NFL’s efforts to protect the integrity of the game, the term “integrity” has made an appearance in this context.

“Once you get anybody who’s heavily involved with the NFL trying to influence what kind of research takes place, you break that chain that guarantees the integrity, and that’s what I think is so crucial here,” U.S. Rep. Frank Pauline (pictured) told ESPN.com. “Fortunately, the NIH didn’t take the bait. It shouldn’t be a rigged game. If it is, then people won’t really know whether what we’re finding through this research is accurate.”

The NFL had no comment to ESPN.com, explaining that it had not yet read the report.

Given the scorched-earth response to a controversial New York Times article from earlier this year regarding concussion research and comparisons of Big Shield to Big Tobacco, silence in this context will speak volumes.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here is the NFLPA response.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...sted-to-do-the-right-thing-regarding-players/

NFLPA president says NFL “cannot be trusted to do the right thing” regarding players
Posted by Mike Florio on May 23, 2016, 1:50 PM EDT
eric-winston-e1456371052305.jpg
Getty Images
The NFL currently is on the ropes after a the release of a Congressional report concluding that the league tried to exert undue influence over a National Institutes of Health study regarding concussions. And the NFL Players Association is trying to punch the league through.

“This is why the NFLPA refused to be a part of any study with the NFL,” NFLPA president and Bengals offensive lineman Eric Winston said on Twitter. “They cannot be trusted to do the right thing when it involves players.”

Separately, NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith said via Twitter that “this is another example of a league that is out of control.”

The strong reaction of the NFLPA is stunning but not surprising. The union has faced fights at every turn with the league office over the past few years, with trust between the two sides consistently eroding. Earlier this year, a largely-overlooked arbitration ruling concluded that the NFL diverted money that should have been included within the salary-cap calculations into a made-up category of exemptions for stadium renovations. Some with the union regarded the development as the NFL stealing money from the players.

It’s all pointing to potentially acrimonious labor negotiations in five years, with the NFLPA and the rank and file perhaps more willing to miss game checks than it was in 2011.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Maybe these Congressional "heros" could just stay in their freakin' lane. We don't need these nanny state bozos protecting us all from ourselves.

These players all know the risks. Safety and rules are important. Congressional pressure is so overrated. And dangerous as a precedent.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Maybe these Congressional "heros" could just stay in their freakin' lane. We don't need these nanny state bozos protecting us all from ourselves.

These players all know the risks. Safety and rules are important. Congressional pressure is so overrated. And dangerous as a precedent.

Or maybe they don't. Risk isn't black and white - it's levels of gray. Knowing there is a risk and understanding the magnitude of that risk are two different things.

If this were the working conditions of a mine - would you still feel this way?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The NFL should be investigated by congress if that is what it takes to force them to be honest. The full extent of the dangers of playing football need to vetted fully and fairly and then written out for all to see. That way anyone choosing to play is at fault, instead of the league and those that are not as aware of the possible long term affects of the game can make a more informed decision as to whether or not they want to take the risk. If it ruins the game, which isn't likely, then so be it. My guess is that there will be enough players that want the money and love the game to keep it going strong. Many people say, 'that wont happen to me'.

Attempting to taint the study and have the concussion affects made to look less impactful is wrong. Reneging on the 16 million dollars is shameful too. The NFL is less likable every year.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Or maybe they don't. Risk isn't black and white - it's levels of gray. Knowing there is a risk and understanding the magnitude of that risk are two different things.

If this were the working conditions of a mine - would you still feel this way?

Yes. Although I agree it is not black and white.

I do struggle with the safety issue. And I fear one day this game may get too dangerous as guys get bigger, faster and hi harder. The equipment is better and safer today. The rules are altered to protect players. But it is still dangerous.

So is coal mining.

I don't see the owners as the good guys here. I just don't like or trust Congress stepping in.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I do struggle with the safety issue. And I fear one day this game may get too dangerous as guys get bigger, faster and hi harder. The equipment is better and safer today. The rules are altered to protect players. But it is still dangerous.

So is coal mining.

I don't see the owners as the good guys here. I just don't like or trust Congress stepping in.

Someone has to step in. The NFL is too big for anyone else. Would you rather they get away with their attempted corruption of the study?

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Someone has to step in. The NFL is too big for anyone else. Would you rather they get away with their attempted corruption of the study?
No. I've been listening to more of the facts. Some sleazy stuff from the NFL side.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
There is absolutely no way the NFL can in good faith say that more research is needed on the concussion issue - which they *always* say - and at the same time claim the players know the risks, the NFL should not be responsible for player brain injuries, etc.

I absolutely love NFL football, but the league itself gets zero respect from me. The NFL has no integrity or class. Stop trying to conceal research. Stop trying to exert your influence on researchers selected to study the issue. Stop playing childish games.

Let's get all the information in the open and as much research done so players know exactly what is going on.

It is no longer disputable that football causes CTE. However, some players take countless heavy hits over the course of their career and never develop it. Why is that? What makes one susceptible to developing it? Or able to avoid it? What are one's odds of getting it? Can researchers one day soon develop a screening test to administer to active players periodically?

If the NFL supports scientific study in good faith, so that we one day have the answers to the above questions, then it can wash its hands of the situation and say "not our problem, the onus is on the player".

I hope somebody hits the league hard one day and I don't even care if that means there is no NFL football for a while. Some things are bigger than me having fun on Sunday. I can find other things to do. Hockey is a religion here in Canada for many, myself included - the NHL has had multiple lock-outs in recent years. Life went on. The sport eventually came back. All was good again. The same would happen in the NFL. Let's clean this situation up. Real lives and families are in the balance.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay

So is coal mining.

I hear ya on that. You won't find many who dislike congress as much as I do. Still, this is better use of their time than most of their endeavors.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert

Do not think it was a case of Congress "stepping in". The NFL tried to dictate to the NIH and got caught. NFL did not have to give the money with not strings attached and then take it back when they could not dictate who the lead researchers would be. Then they said they did not try to influence those decisions and then Congress investigated and found out they did.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Here is the semi-official position. To me it seems sort of weak in comparison to previous statements.
*********************************************************************************************************************************
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...were-raised-through-the-appropriate-channels/

NFL says concerns over NIH study were raised “through the appropriate channels”
Posted by Mike Florio on May 23, 2016, 3:53 PM EDT
nfl1.jpg
Getty Images
The NFL has issued a full response to the Congressional report suggesting that the league tried to exert undue influence over a National Institutes of Health study regarding the detection of Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy in living patients. The league, as expected, rejects the finding that the league withdrew $16 million in funding after failing to have Robert Stern removed as the person in charge of the work.

The league admits in a statement issued by NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy that “there were concerns raised about both the nature of the study in question and possible conflicts of interest.” However, the league contends that the concerns were raised “through the appropriate channels.”

The statement, which also summarizes the money spent by the league for research regarding head injuries, can be seen here. In all, it’s not nearly as detailed or aggressive as the league’s response to a recent New York Times report that the league strongly opposed.

It’s unclear whether the league will be doing anything more in response to the report, or whether the House Committee on Energy and Commerce will be taking any further action on the issue.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Separately, NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith said via Twitter that “this is another example of a league that is out of control.”

Maybe he should advise all the players to stop playing and shut the league down. That'll show them. And keep the players safe. They may see their salary decrease by 95% but at least they'll be safe.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Maybe he should advise all the players to stop playing and shut the league down. That'll show them. And keep the players safe. They may see their salary decrease by 95% but at least they'll be safe.

Smith has so little credibility it's laughable when he calls out the NFL.

He just fucked over his own guys with the new CBA. But he got paid.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...d-spine-committee-slams-congressional-report/

Head of NFL’s head, neck and spine committee slams Congressional report
Posted by Darin Gantt on May 24, 2016, 8:06 AM EDT

The NFL’s lead concussion doctor feels like he’s been blindsided.

In an interview with Tom Pelissero of USA Today, Dr. Richard Ellenbogen, who co-chairs the league’s head, neck and spine committee, denies he tried to direct funds for a research grant on the NFL’s behalf and said he wasn’t contacted before the Congressional report critical of the league’s role was released.

Ellenbogen said his two phone calls with National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke director Dr. Walter Koroshetz were related to the research protocols, and not to influence whether a $16 million grant went to researchers at Boston University instead.

“We know there are long-term risks of traumatic brain injury, and we need to know the incidence and prevalence,” Ellenbogen said. “Is it one in a million or is it 100 in a million? That was the entire thing that got blown up.

“I never talked to Congress. No one ever asked me my opinion. I had two private conversations with Walter, and this is a lesson I guess: Big Government can crush you if you disagree with them. I’m trying to protect the kids.”

The Democratic staff report of the House Energy and Commerce Committee criticized the NFL, saying they tried to influence the direction of research funding.

The league has denied the allegations in the report, saying they were “deeply committed to continuing to accelerate scientific research and advancements in this critical area, and we stand ready to support additional independent research to that end.”

Ellenbogen, who said he isn’t paid by the NFL, defended his work studying concussions in youth players, and said he hoped for longitudinal studies to provide more information. He’s taken up the cause after a patient of his (Zackery Lystedt) nearly died because of a brain hemorrhage after he re-entered a game following a concussion. He’s advocated for a law that requires youth athletes who suffer concussions to receive written approval from a doctor before returning to play.

“Why would I go and lobby 50 states to pass the Zack Lystedt law if I wanted to hide the [issue]?” Ellenbogen said. “We put protection in place for kids. That’s what I do. I’m there to make sports safer. Sports are good for kids. I want to make it safer. That’s my role. Period.

“I had no delusions [about influencing the grant selection]. But as long as it’s America, I get to express my opinion. And Congress never asked me. That’s pretty interesting – guilty until proven innocent, huh?”

While the report may have been partisan, it’s certainly an embarrassing visual for the league, and something owners will certainly want to learn more about from commissioner Roger Goodell at today’s league meetings in Charlotte.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He’s taken up the cause after a patient of his (Zackery Lystedt) nearly died because of a brain hemorrhage after he re-entered a game following a concussion. He’s advocated for a law that requires youth athletes who suffer concussions to receive written approval from a doctor before returning to play.
Here's my concern...the NFL is promoting this play 60....instructing parents, coaches, kids on the "safe" way to play football. Tackle with your head up...lead with the shoulder...yada yada yada...Then in the next instance, you are attempting to cover the results of a concussion study.....and renege on a $16 million donation for said study....makes one go "hmmmm???". I also read where every team split upwards of $240 million last year!! I understand this is a dangerous game....And maybe I don't care if my son takes the risk and wants to play...but don't hide these risks from another parent....Don't hide these risks from a future player...just to keep your $250 million game still going....
This reminds me of the water in Flint, Mi. or the natural gas leak out here in Cali....
It's all got to be some sort of population control:cautious:....or something:thinking:....:unsure: