Congrats to Kell for his first win as a Ram

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Opinions are welcome, but if you're making broad and subjective statements you may want to back those up with some facts. For example, Sam has not had 4 years to prove himself. He has started 49 games, works out to be 1 game more than 3 years. Also, the key word in your post is "team". The *team* had improved, largely due to actually having a running game. But don't let that stand in the way of a good story.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry guys. I didn't know that opinions would be suppressed so harshly here. I'm just saying that watching Bradford's constant check-downs got old really fast. He's had 4 years to prove himself and hasn't really shown much. Clemens steps in and suddenly we look like a better team.

I'm not trying to start a Bradford love/hate war here, just expressing an opinion.
Who suppressed your opinion? You put it out there, and it was unanimously rejected.

I get how people could fall into the illusion that somehow Clemens made everything better, but that's just being myopic. In the two games that Bradford had over 100 yards rushing (JAX, HOU), we won handily. Against SF, we average 0.9 yards per carry (less than a yard). Against Dallas we had 35 total yards of rushing. In those two games, the defense gave up 66 points. Bradford went 3-4 in his 7 games that included those. SINCE THEN, the running game (in a 3 game span) produced exactly 500 yards and the defense yielded 50 points (not 66 over two games. 50 over three). Clemens has gone 1-2. The very idea that Bradford couldn't have done any better under those circumstances is pretty far fetched. Particularly since we only needed one score in those two games Clemens (not by himself) lost.

Your post only demonstrates (to me) that people can't see beyond the guy under center. I like Clemens, and I think he's a fierce competitor. But there's absolutely no way that he's on the same level as Bradford. And I don't know if Bradford is the answer going forward either, but I wouldn't dare make the leap that the *team* is better off with Clemens at the helm than with him. It's just too ridiculous a notion.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Sorry guys. I didn't know that opinions would be suppressed so harshly here. I'm just saying that watching Bradford's constant check-downs got old really fast. He's had 4 years to prove himself and hasn't really shown much. Clemens steps in and suddenly we look like a better team.

I'm not trying to start a Bradford love/hate war here, just expressing an opinion.

Man you are completely welcome to state an opinion, and I apologize for inferring that you might be trolling I went back and reviewed your posts and I don't see you as a troll (the label I wasn't going to throw out and won't now).

That said , four things combine to make your comparison between Sam and Clemens invalid in my estimation.

1. I've seen this repeatedly, when a starting QB goes down everyone who once was looking to him to carry them, to some extent, takes it upon themselves to be more leaders by example and to step up (I think this team has done that)

2. I don't think if you'd said Zac Stacy has replaced and even possibly surpassed the running threat we once had with SJ,y ou'd have an argument. Yesterday was in no small part due to Indy refusing to let Zac Stacy outshine Trent Richardson. How'd that work for em.

3. Shotty isn't asking KC to do all the things he asked of Sam. A scaled back plan that is pretty friendly toward KC through lowered expectation.

4. This team as a whole is maturing before our eyes and if these young players were as acclimated to the NFL from game one this season as they are now, Sam would be looking like Aaron friggin Rogers.

YOU DO KNOW Tavon Austin was leading the league in drops, dontcha?

IMO KC is validating his worth as a backup now and if we can afford his salary and he keeps playing this well, I think our coaches will be tickled shitless to have him back. But he is not close in ability to Sam Bradford and THAT opinion isn't going to stand you in good stead with very many people here. Nothing I've seen would ever make me agree with that. Sam Bradford is an elite athlete at the position who at the moment he got hurt was playing lights out. Our loss to Carolina was more a function of terrible o-line play and Jarred Cooks lack of professional attitude than any deficiencies on Sams part. OH I guess he was supposed to KNOW Pettis would slip and fall (that's the three INT's man how were those Sams fault?)

Now once again sorry for the inference and welcome to the board read the stickies, I do once a week cuz I get my tit in a ringer occasionally as well. :bigup:

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie

Don't sweat it. Nobody wants to hear that the savior might not be the savior after all.

Sam does check down to much and it bogs the O down.

KC is nowhere near the talent SB is but he has better field vision and he does a better job of pushing the ball down field.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW

JMO, but I don't think we look better as a TEAM because of Clemens. We've looked better in two of the three games becauase the defense has played 100X better. Put it into perspective: We've given up 22 points to Seattle and Indy COMBINED. Seattle averages 26.5 but we gave up 14. Indy averages 24.7, but we gave them 8. We regressed against Tennesse. They average 22.2 but gave up 27. In that three game span with Kellen as QB our defense gave up an average of 16.3 points per game.
NOW-In the 7 games Sam played the defense gave up an average of 26.2 PPG. If you want to look at the biggest stat, look at the AVG yards per game on the ground. That's not even close in the favor of Clemens. But if you want to look at just QB stats here's a comparison (below). Obviously a small sample size for Clemens but we know what he is and isn't capable of. I promise you this. If you give Sam 16.3 points a game he has to beat, more times than not he will. What is of interest to me is that the team has averaged about the same PPG with either QB. But if you're being honest you would have to think that with an improved running game averaging well over a 100 yards per game for Clemens and a defense giving up only 16.3 per game that we'd actually do even better, right? Nope, the same. So IMO this tells me Clemens is just doing enough (which is fine) but it also tells me Sam was doing this without any help from his RB's, any help from the defense, absolutely no help from ST's which took back a number of points and his receivers we're dropping passes at an epic rate. Whether you like SB or not you should look at everything that effects a QB and a team in general. If our D was giving up 16 PPG all year and we were averaging 100 yards a game on the ground, I would bet my ass we would be closer to 7-3 and this is a toally different conversation.

Bradford 2013-

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13197/sam-bradford

Clemens 2013 -

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/9635/kellen-clemens
Sorry- Couldn't get them to embed correctly.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
1. I've seen this repeatedly, when a starting QB goes down everyone who once was looking to him to carry them, to some extent, takes it upon themselves to be more leaders by example and to step up (I think this team has done that)
If there is one thing positive in Bradford's injury, it's this. IMO, too many of players were leaning on Bradford. Now they can't and they're stepping up. No coincidence.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Man, I loved this game!

It seems that Clemens is a better leader than Sam. He seems to have more passion for the game. And he's gutsier - he sits in the pocket with pressure or rolls out and makes plays.

I don't want to bash Sam at all - he's a good QB, but it just seems like the entire team has a fire burning since Sam was knocked out. I don't know if it's the coaches who got this going or maybe all the naysayers in the media that got the team pissed off.

I personally think Sam has had his chance and we need to move on. I don't know if Clemens is the answer, but yesterday really proved we have some incredible talent on this team and maybe a new quarterback is the answer.

:slap:

A55VA6

Legend
Clemens escapes pressure and makes plays better than Sam does. But Clemens is not even close to Sam's overall ability.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sam checking down was a problem ... how?

screen.png

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I know this is going to sound terrible but the Sam Bradford injury could of possibly been the best thing to happen to our young team, like Quixote said they (the offensive players) were all depending on Bradford's ability too much, maybe even the coaches. While Sam is recovering all the rookies and the youngest roster in the NFL can get their feet wet and be ready to explode when they get THEIR QB back.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Enjoy the WIN!!!!! Dark days are ahead.:bigup:

Thanks, but I don't know what the Colts dark future has to do with anything RAM related. I know our two franchises have been intertwined over the years but the future? not so much.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm so tired of this. I knew it would happen if Clemens played well. Inevitably, the people that do not like Bradford would take the opportunity to criticize him rather than give Clemens props. It makes it difficult to root for Clemens knowing that it will happen but Clemens is the Rams QB right now so I'll be rooting for him regardless.

Some of you...well...just stop with this non-sense. What you're saying is just ridiculous.

P.S. Sam Bradford is currently #9 in the NFL in QB Rating despite him going down right in the middle of the most dominant stretch of his career when the Rams FINALLY found their running game this year. But he's not good enough. Ok...lets go replace a guy that was very arguably playing at a top 10 level. Great idea. I'm sure it'll be easy to find the next Peyton Manning.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm so tired of this. I knew it would happen if Clemens played well. Inevitably, the people that do not like Bradford would take the opportunity to criticize him rather than give Clemens props. It makes it difficult to root for Clemens knowing that it will happen but Clemens is the Rams QB right now so I'll be rooting for him regardless.

Some of you...well...just stop with this non-sense. What you're saying is just ridiculous.
Ole KC sure has come a long way in 3 weeks, eh? Pariah to Prince. At some point in the next few games he might turn into a Pariah again, but whatever. Such is the life of an NFL quarterback. I'm just glad he's making the most of his opportunity. Seems like a genuinely good dude and the players seem to like him a bunch.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

P.S. Sam Bradford is currently #9 in the NFL in QB Rating despite him going down right in the middle of the most dominant stretch of his career when the Rams FINALLY found their running game this year. But he's not good enough. Ok...lets go replace a guy that was very arguably playing at a top 10 level. Great idea. I'm sure it'll be easy to find the next Peyton Manning.

:bigup:

There are no sure thing's in this upcoming draft... or any draft. It's not that easy.

And... the grass isn't always greener. Be careful what you wish for.

I'm plenty content with top 10 play. My biggest concern with Sam is his ability to stay healthy. Outside of that; he's got game and we can win a SuperBowl with him - no question.

EDIT: and I missed the biggest point you made... it's crazy shit that one good game puts the QB debate front and center. Really? Smh! How quickly we forget how well Sam was playing. :disappoint:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Hey, no doubt I'm proud of the way KC is playing but also no doubt the Rams would be sitting at 6-4 if SB would of still been in the line-up. Surely that's pretty easy for people to see?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Hey, no doubt I'm proud of the way KC is playing but also no doubt the Rams would be sitting at 6-4 if SB would of still been in the line-up. Surely that SHOULD BE pretty easy for people to see?

Fixed it for yuh Husker.:cheese: