Congrats Elmgrovegnome!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That game Saturday had to be epic for you. I can imagine being in your place and losing my shit, that's for sure.

Stunned that OSU only fell to 6th, and if that CFP committee agrees with that ranking, we still essentially control our own destiny - winning out would almost lock us into a playoff spot.

Under Meyer we've always played a lot better after losing, so I think this came at the perfect time.

Anyway, congrats man! Huge win for Penn State.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah its crazy that OSU loses that game and doesn't really lose any ground while Louisville loses to Clemson by an eyelash and has no chance to make the playoff. The system is better than ever, but still incredibly flawed
Congrats though for sure @Elmgrovegnome your team did you proud!!
Saves Franklin job though, not sure that's a good thing or a bad thing...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Thanks guys. That game was incredible. After being blanked in the third quarter, I had all but given up hope. Special teams kicked butt. I was freaking out. I woke everyone up with my celebration. I always expect a loss to Ohio State but watch in hopes of a miracle. Meyer's recruiting is incredible and it's tough to compete with when PSU pulls lesser talent each year. Franklin has to recruit differently and uses projection more than rating players on the here and now. There really isn't any choice, unless they eventually reach similar success.

And yeah it kind of sucks for Louisville in comparison. But, being the champs counts for something. So does being ranked number two at the time of the loss. OSU has to beat Michigan to get in. That is not a given. That game has the makings of a classic for the first time in a long time.

I didn't believe in Franklin, but he made a tough decision and axed his good friend who was his OC. It had to be done. He hired some PA guys as OC and OLine coaches. Improved, the line coach has been great. Brendan Mahoney was playing guard up until this year. Improved moved him to OT and he is now regarded as a top OT by scouts. He moved another guard to Center, and the whole line is improved drastically. Moorhead is a proven OC too. The defense has played well despite losing 3 Dline starters to the draft. I don't think Franklin's job was in question. That was media talk. But, he has been winning me over steadily.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Did it again. When I mentioned the OLine, it was supposed to type Limegrover, not the word Improved.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah its crazy that OSU loses that game and doesn't really lose any ground while Louisville loses to Clemson by an eyelash and has no chance to make the playoff. The system is better than ever, but still incredibly flawed
Congrats though for sure @Elmgrovegnome your team did you proud!!
Saves Franklin job though, not sure that's a good thing or a bad thing...

I was expecting to fall to 8th, but I'm glad we only fell to 6th. I think the system is better than ever because teams are starting to be ranked for how good they are, not what they've accomplished. Louisville is ranked 5th, so I don't really get your comment, unless you just mean it will be very hard for any team that doesn't win their conference to make the CFP, in which case I agree. But if we win out we will have a much more impressive resume than Louisville would, so it all kind of works itself out.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks guys. That game was incredible. After being blanked in the third quarter, I had all but given up hope. Special teams kicked butt. I was freaking out. I woke everyone up with my celebration. I always expect a loss to Ohio State but watch in hopes of a miracle. Meyer's recruiting is incredible and it's tough to compete with when PSU pulls lesser talent each year. Franklin has to recruit differently and uses projection more than rating players on the here and now. There really isn't any choice, unless they eventually reach similar success.

And yeah it kind of sucks for Louisville in comparison. But, being the champs counts for something. So does being ranked number two at the time of the loss. OSU has to beat Michigan to get in. That is not a given. That game has the makings of a classic for the first time in a long time.

I didn't believe in Franklin, but he made a tough decision and axed his good friend who was his OC. It had to be done. He hired some PA guys as OC and OLine coaches. Improved, the line coach has been great. Brendan Mahoney was playing guard up until this year. Improved moved him to OT and he is now regarded as a top OT by scouts. He moved another guard to Center, and the whole line is improved drastically. Moorhead is a proven OC too. The defense has played well despite losing 3 Dline starters to the draft. I don't think Franklin's job was in question. That was media talk. But, he has been winning me over steadily.

We always seem to struggle with Penn State, especially playing in your house. The spread was ridiculous on that game...normally I want style points when playing an unranked opponent, but playing @Penn St and @Wisconsin, those are ALWAYS tough games...just want to come out with a win. But Penn State winning...that was great for the Big Ten. Hopefully they can keep winning the rest of the year.

I can't take Michigan seriously until they actually beat us, regardless of what the FPI and the media say about them.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was expecting to fall to 8th, but I'm glad we only fell to 6th. I think the system is better than ever because teams are starting to be ranked for how good they are, not what they've accomplished. Louisville is ranked 5th, so I don't really get your comment, unless you just mean it will be very hard for any team that doesn't win their conference to make the CFP, in which case I agree. But if we win out we will have a much more impressive resume than Louisville would, so it all kind of works itself out.
Louisville lost to Clemson who is in same side of conference. So they cant play for the ACC crown unless Clemson were to inexplicably lose twice
Like I said, its better than ever but still quite broken.
Losing to an unranked team, even on the road, should bounce a team from top 10.
But they want to make sure that Ohio State/Michigan winner gets in the top 4
Big 12 shoots itself again in the foot by not having a championship game, although if Baylor and West Virginia can stay undefeated until Dec 3 when they play, it will feel like one

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I felt like Franklin was getting judged a bit harshly considering the obstacles he faced walking into PSU. This a guy who had back-to-back 9 win seasons at Vandy. He can coach. I think if you guys give him time, he'll prove to be a competent HC.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I felt like Franklin was getting judged a bit harshly considering the obstacles he faced walking into PSU. This a guy who had back-to-back 9 win seasons at Vandy. He can coach. I think if you guys give him time, he'll prove to be a competent HC.

He had some questionable clock management moments. There is no set Fingerprint of his on the team. He doesn't have his offense or his defense. He relies on the coordinators to use their systems. That can be fine, unless one leaves and he can't find a comparable replacement. I do think he had his hands tied with a short roster. This years recruiting has dropped off a bit. I hope he can get back to a top ten or fifteen class. He is measured against Meyer and Harbaugh. It may not be fair but those are the guys that he has to outdo, and everyone knows it.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Louisville lost to Clemson who is in same side of conference. So they cant play for the ACC crown unless Clemson were to inexplicably lose twice
Like I said, its better than ever but still quite broken.
Losing to an unranked team, even on the road, should bounce a team from top 10.
But they want to make sure that Ohio State/Michigan winner gets in the top 4
Big 12 shoots itself again in the foot by not having a championship game, although if Baylor and West Virginia can stay undefeated until Dec 3 when they play, it will feel like one

I disagree that losing to an unranked team should get you bounced that far, and you are looking too far ahead.

Right now, Louisville is ranked as the best 1 loss team in the country. Their loss is more impressive, but OSU has wins against Oklahoma and Wisconsin, versus Louisville's win over FSU. I get people are smitten with Lamar Jackson, but given that OSU was on the road and Louisville was at home, it could be argued that our win over OU was just as impressive as Louisville's destruction of FSU - especially if you factor in that OU looks better than FSU right now.

About losing to an unranked team - OSU played better against Penn State than Clemson did against NC State - Clemson was at home, we were away, and Penn State is FAR better than NC State. But Clemson got a gift and ended up with the win. That kind of stuff happens.

Now, you want to talk unfair - think about Michigan and what possibly may happen. They and OSU run the table until the they play and OSU wins by a field goal.

Louisville is likely ahead of Michigan in the AP poll at least because of the timing of their respective losses. And despite the fact that Michigan is probably better than Louisville, if they lose to Ohio State they would have less of a chance than Louisville does to make the CFP.

We need to stop looking at strictly the results on the field, and focus on the play - it's just a cluster and a never ending circle of this team beat that team and lost to that team, who beat the team that beat the team that destroyed that one team. Right now Clemson and Ohio State should be in the same tier, with Alabama and Michigan clearly ahead of everyone, with Washington and Louisville off to the side for now as undecided - but I'm fine with the top 6 right now. It's when you get into trying to analyze the wins and losses that it can get murky and you go from best team to most deserving team. Because these teams don't and can't all play each other, it's always going to be someone's opinion that decides who deserves to go to the playoffs.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree that losing to an unranked team should get you bounced that far, and you are looking too far ahead.

Right now, Louisville is ranked as the best 1 loss team in the country. Their loss is more impressive, but OSU has wins against Oklahoma and Wisconsin, versus Louisville's win over FSU. I get people are smitten with Lamar Jackson, but given that OSU was on the road and Louisville was at home, it could be argued that our win over OU was just as impressive as Louisville's destruction of FSU - especially if you factor in that OU looks better than FSU right now.

About losing to an unranked team - OSU played better against Penn State than Clemson did against NC State - Clemson was at home, we were away, and Penn State is FAR better than NC State. But Clemson got a gift and ended up with the win. That kind of stuff happens.

Now, you want to talk unfair - think about Michigan and what possibly may happen. They and OSU run the table until the they play and OSU wins by a field goal.

Louisville is likely ahead of Michigan in the AP poll at least because of the timing of their respective losses. And despite the fact that Michigan is probably better than Louisville, if they lose to Ohio State they would have less of a chance than Louisville does to make the CFP.

We need to stop looking at strictly the results on the field, and focus on the play - it's just a cluster and a never ending circle of this team beat that team and lost to that team, who beat the team that beat the team that destroyed that one team. Right now Clemson and Ohio State should be in the same tier, with Alabama and Michigan clearly ahead of everyone, with Washington and Louisville off to the side for now as undecided - but I'm fine with the top 6 right now. It's when you get into trying to analyze the wins and losses that it can get murky and you go from best team to most deserving team. Because these teams don't and can't all play each other, it's always going to be someone's opinion that decides who deserves to go to the playoffs.
I was way off because Penn State is way better than I gave them credit for, so yeah that loss is not what I made it out to be.
Clemson wins another game they should have lost
Yeah you're 100% right, there's a lot of football left to be played

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I was way off because Penn State is way better than I gave them credit for, so yeah that loss is not what I made it out to be.
Clemson wins another game they should have lost
Yeah you're 100% right, there's a lot of football left to be played

Penn State doesn't have the perception of being as good as they are because they had major coordinator overhauls on both side of the ball and the team was still learning the new schemes in the beginning of the season. A very close loss to Pitt (a team I am sure they would defeat easily now) really hurt them in the eyes of the voters. PSU has made great strides in all three phases of the game since that early loss, to a bad team.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Penn State doesn't have the perception of being as good as they are because they had major coordinator overhauls on both side of the ball and the team was still learning the new schemes in the beginning of the season. A very close loss to Pitt (a team I am sure they would defeat easily now) really hurt them in the eyes of the voters. PSU has made great strides in all three phases of the game since that early loss, to a bad team.
Pitt is pretty good though, suffering a couple close losses. And IIRC, wasn't that game at Pitt in John Connor's first home game back?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Pitt is pretty good though, suffering a couple close losses. And IIRC, wasn't that game at Pitt in John Connor's first home game back?

Yeah it was Connors return but the way PSU is playing now, I am sure it wouldn't be that close. PSU had five defensive starters out, including their three starting linebackers. Plus the team has just been playing so much better.

Pitt isn't that good. They have a good OLine and running game. Their good OLine is due to the scandal. Their three best were Penn State leans. If not for the sanctions PSU could have had Allen Robinson, Tyler Boyd, Wil Fuller and Ryan Switzerland all on the same team. They were all leaning towards Penn State. Coupled with most of Pitts OLine and I wonder how much easier it would have been for Hackenberg.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
#12 in the championship poll!

It feels good to be back.

Good for the CFP. Really like what they did here.

The only thing I found confusing was putting Texas A&M over Ohio State. A&M currently has one win over a ranked team in the CFP...OSU has two. We beat number 8 and number 14, both on the road. They beat number 9 on the road. They lost badly on the road to the number 1 team, we lost a close game to number 12.

It will probably work itself out, but that 4/5/6 ranking doesn't make much sense to me right now.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That game Saturday had to be epic for you. I can imagine being in your place and losing my crap, that's for sure.

Stunned that OSU only fell to 6th, and if that CFP committee agrees with that ranking, we still essentially control our own destiny - winning out would almost lock us into a playoff spot.

Under Meyer we've always played a lot better after losing, so I think this came at the perfect time.

Anyway, congrats man! Huge win for Penn State.
I meant to say something to Elm about that game. I will admit that I am not a fan of either team but I sure as hell was cheering for Penn State that night.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Good for the CFP. Really like what they did here.

The only thing I found confusing was putting Texas A&M over Ohio State. A&M currently has one win over a ranked team in the CFP...OSU has two. We beat number 8 and number 14, both on the road. They beat number 9 on the road. They lost badly on the road to the number 1 team, we lost a close game to number 12.

It will probably work itself out, but that 4/5/6 ranking doesn't make much sense to me right now.

A&M gave up 500 yards of offense in that big win. There was nothing convincing about it. Agreed their ranking is a head scratcher.