Confused on Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Look at the production McVay had with the Skins last year. Three guys all under 1k yards, along with a RB as an additional threat/matchup problem for LB/S. This is exactly what we are seeing now and it WORKS.

Great post Merlin!

The Packers are among a handful of teams that use this approach too and I love it.

The Rams have different type of WR's, not the typical #1, #2, slot guy and #4. Often it's similar guys the difference just being speed and route running or hands or some combo. Our guys all have different skills, they are different types of weapons and when they deploy them in different groups with the looming threat of Gurley and Austin in the backfield it puts a lot of pressure on every defensive player.

Plus. They have a QB that can accurately deliver the ball.

Plus. A guy designing plays that really has some imagination.

It's fun!

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
When you got 2 other wrs, 2 TEs, and RB capable of getting open and worthy of getting the ball, theres only so many targets Sammy can get. With that said, I dont think they would have traded for him just to have him be "another weapon." Im sure they had big plans for him and as the season goes on I expect him to make more plays

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Watkins doesn't need to get targets for this team to succeed. He is a threat and defenses will shadow him , allowing others to make plays. Sammy was happy on the sidelines and he only had 1 catch, this is a different Watkins from his buffalo days .

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think that Goff misses some guys sometimes too....multiple open receivers on most plays

But not too often.

As said above, they don't force it, they take all that is given.

It is a target-rich environment.

Other than Tavon, Goff has had the least amount of practice time with Watkins, so that could be a part of it too.
I'll take the misses .. if he keeps producing like he is .. what isnit now 4 games and one int ?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Im sure they had big plans for him and as the season goes on I expect him to make more plays

Yup, we know it's coming soon.

Sammy was happy on the sidelines and he only had 1 catch, this is a different Watkins from his buffalo days .

It's always better to get paid and play for a winning team than to get paid and play for a losing team. :)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'll take the misses .. if he keeps producing like he is .. what isnit now 4 games and one int ?

No doubt. All QBs miss throws. All QBs miss seeing open receivers. Big Ben didn't see Brown wide open for what would have been a TD and it resulted in a sideline tantrum. I am sure on the Steeler boards there are fans complaining about that, maybe even questioning if or how much football Big Ben has left, even though the Steelers won 26-9 or whatever.

Fans are nuts, and I don't exempt myself from that either btw. It's part of the fun. :p

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That was, I believe, the 3rd time he was targeted all game. Dude can get open and ball, I think we just need to make the most of our investment whenever the oppurtunity strikes.

There were times Watkins would stop on his routes. He needed to keep coming across to help Goff out. Jared instead threw the ball. Out of bounds.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watkins doesn't have to be catching balls to be a serious threat. Look, it's still early, but it looks like McVay's offense is essentially indefensible. The only real way to attack it is to play everything man to man, and hope your pass rush can get to Goff. The Cowboys chose to bracket the outside receivers yesterday, presumably in an effort to take away the intermediate/deep ball and they were fairly successful with that. However, it left six men in the box frequently, and Gurley made them pay. It also left Gurley open in the flat, linebackers on Kupp, and allowed Higbee to get downfield.

This is what sets McVay apart from most egotistical maniacal coaches. He doesn't care who gets what, he just attacks the weaknesses, over and over. The Cowboys were not able to compensate for McVay's adjustments and that showed bigtime in the 2nd half.

I love it, all of it!

Welcome to the board. This is a very insightful post. Kudos.

If this continues, and I agree we are getting WAY ahead of ourselves here, but if it does do you think this will have an impact on whether or not Watkins re-signs with the Rams? How big is his ego? Let's face it, first-among-equals don't get paid as much as the guys getting the ball ten times a game...

If we keep winning and Watkins still wants to bail, let him. We have a bunch of young studs on this offense along with a coaching staff full of young studs. If that isn't enough to entice him to stay, see ya, Sammy.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
As this season unfolds I think all the wideouts will become more dangerous to include Watkins. Because Goff is improving at an enormously fast rate, faster than I expected and I am a damn kool-aid guzzling fan of his. As Jared gets better he will have that element where he puts up jump balls to Sammy judiciously in certain situations, but again you gotta be careful as a coaching staff on trying to push or teach that. Right now what Goff needs to hear is be smart with the football NOT force it, get through his reads quickly and if necessary throw it away.

Goff's best stat is the low INT rate. They have to keep that going now, especially with the offense carrying this team how it is. McVay preaches moving the chains by spreading the ball around and being unpredictable and maintaining run/pass balance. But yeah, at some point as he develops I do agree Sammy will be better maximized. You just can't really push that development.
Agree, except doubt we will see Goff throwing up jump balls. Goff may throw it where Sammy has to go up and get it, but it will not be a jump ball where the defender will have a clear shot at it. IMO, not the mo for either McVay or Goff. McVay will continue to scheme guys open and he will continue to instruct Goff to throw it to the open guy. And Goff will continue to distinguish himself from most NFL qbs with his downfield accuracy.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
If this continues, and I agree we are getting WAY ahead of ourselves here, but if it does do you think this will have an impact on whether or not Watkins re-signs with the Rams? How big is his ego? Let's face it, first-among-equals don't get paid as much as the guys getting the ball ten times a game...

Pretty sure we'll re-sign him to a contract that's friendly for both parties. Just a matter of how he'll fit along with AD, TruJo, maybe Ogletree; better sign these guys asap, Goff will get hella if he keeps up his current performance

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Watkins doesn't have to be catching balls to be a serious threat. Look, it's still early, but it looks like McVay's offense is essentially indefensible. The only real way to attack it is to play everything man to man, and hope your pass rush can get to Goff. The Cowboys chose to bracket the outside receivers yesterday, presumably in an effort to take away the intermediate/deep ball and they were fairly successful with that. However, it left six men in the box frequently, and Gurley made them pay. It also left Gurley open in the flat, linebackers on Kupp, and allowed Higbee to get downfield.

This is what sets McVay apart from most egotistical maniacal coaches. He doesn't care who gets what, he just attacks the weaknesses, over and over. The Cowboys were not able to compensate for McVay's adjustments and that showed bigtime in the 2nd half.

I love it, all of it!

Dude yes!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
My guess is you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much Watkins gets targeted this week against the Seacocks. We've got an O now boys and it just isn't enough balls to go around. Watkins turn this coming week.