Conference call with Brandon McGee

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
(On what the weekend has been like)
”It’s been exciting. A lot of excitement, a lot of nervousness as well, but I’m thankful for the way that it played out. I ended up on a great team with a great coaching staff. I couldn’t ask for more.”

(On if he knew the Rams were interested in him)
“I did, but I didn’t know they were going to grab me.”

(On how he knew the Rams were interested in him)
“Just speaking with the coaches the few times that I had opportunities to talk on the phone with them, just speaking with the coaches. That’s about it. Also at the East-West Shrine Game and at the combine.”

(On playing well in the East-West Shrine Game)
“I think they got a chance to see me go out and compete against some of the top players in the nation. I think it helped me out a lot, actually. Also following up with a strong combine appearance, I definitely think it helped me out a lot.”

(On if he was the fastest on his team last year)
“Yeah I was.”

(On if his combine 40-yard dash was the fastest among cornerbacks)
“It was, but I was actually kind of disappointed with the time. I definitely wanted to run faster simply because I had been timed at 4.2’s all throughout college and all throughout training for the combine. I just didn’t have my best performance on that day. I’ll take a 4.3 but I was definitely shooting for a 4.2.”

(On racing WR Tavon Austin)
“That would be good. That would be real good.”

(On if he’s been watching the draft)
“I honestly have tried not to, but I just can’t help myself. I’ve been watching the entire weekend, just waiting on my phone to ring, honestly.”

(On the type of player he is and what his biggest assets are)
“I think the football intelligence aspect of it, understanding the game, being able to learn the game, being able to draft a game plan, and also just being athletic. Using my speed to my advantage, being able to adjust during the game, also being able to run with just about anybody, just about any receiver, being able to play inside in the slot position, I think those are really my biggest assets.”

(On if he has experience playing special teams)
“Yeah, I played special teams throughout my four years. My senior year I played on the punt team. I played the right gunner on the punt team.”

(On if the Rams have mentioned him playing special teams)
“Yeah, they have expressed that to me as well.”

(On being voted team captain)
“It’s just a blessing to be in that position to be voted captain and to really be empowered by the coaching staff to lead the team in a sense. I’m definitely looking to take the same leadership characteristics to St. Louis, go in and learn as much as I can, No. 1, and just compete.”

(On if he is having a gathering or party)
“I’ve got my family over here. They were all over for a cookout.”

(On what kind of food his family was having at the cook out)
“My dad got on the grill. He did a bunch of chicken, ribs, hotdogs, hamburgers, macaroni and cheese, just about everything. We’ve got a big cookout.”

(On his relationship with Rams Defensive Coordinator Tim Walton)
“A lot of players told me about him when I first got there (University of Miami) because he had just left when I got there. Randy Phillips was one of the guys that played under Coach Walton, so he was able to tell me a lot about him and just about the tradition of Miami and how many great corners that he coached that went through that university.”

(On what Randy Phillips told him about Walton)
“First of all, he’s a great coach. He’s just a real players’ coach, smart guy as well, easy to talk to. Phillips told me he had a great relationship with Walton while he was there, so I’m looking forward to establishing the same.”

(On if he talked with Walton much before the draft)
“I haven’t spoken with him at all, actually.”

(On whom he was in contact with before the draft)
“One of the scouts and also the special teams coordinator.”

(On how he coped when his family was affected by cancer and how it made him a better person)
“It was definitely challenging, seeing your father go through cancer, especially battling cancer at such a young age. I believe I was in fourth grade when he was battling cancer and I was seeing my mother battling cancer at the age of 13. Her losing her fight to breast cancer, it definitely forced me to grow up at an earlier age and take a lot of responsibility on myself. All of those were tragic situations. I just turned them into positive situations and I grew as a man. I grew fast. I had to learn to be accountable, just be more responsible early.”

(On if he has been to St. Louis)
”No. I never have.”

(On if he knows anyone on the team)
“Yeah, Brandon Washington actually, which is kind of bizarre because I just spoke with him last night and Stedman Bailey, who you all just got. I’ve got a great relationship with Stedman Bailey. We’re both from south Florida, grew up competing against each other. I just look forward to getting there.”

(On if he shut Stedman Bailey down when they played against one another in high school)
“Last time we went against each other was in high school, but I’m looking forward to competing against him in practice.”

(On when Brandon Washington contacted him during the draft process)
“We spoke last night through text message and the crazy thing he said was, ‘If we draft corner, we’re going to take you.’ I didn’t know how he knew that. I don’t know how he guessed that, but he guessed it right on the head.”

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
bluecoconuts said:
Not gonna lie, I had to google Brandon Washington.
Apparently he's invisible. That could come in handy (won't draw any holding penalties).

EDddtCw.jpg

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
The Dude said:
bluecoconuts said:
Not gonna lie, I had to google Brandon Washington.
Apparently he's invisible. That could come in handy (won't draw any holding penalties).

EDddtCw.jpg
LOL. That shit is funny right there.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Who is Brandon Washington, and how did he know we'd draft McGee?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
brokeu91 said:
Who is Brandon Washington, and how did he know we'd draft McGee?
He's one of our guards who also went to THE U. I don't have any idea how he had any inside knowledge.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Maybe the coaches asked him a lot of questions about McGee. There are some people that think Washington has a shot at guard. Showed a lot of promise coming out, and we nabbed him when he was released by Philly.

He had a third round grade which might have even been higher if he would have stayed at guard his whole career in college where he thrived. Big guard at 320+ pounds known to be a powerful run blocker, but he's also a pretty good athlete--he ran a 5.1 in the 40 at the combine.