Concealed Carry

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I've been meaning to go get my Concealed Carry permit for a long time now and the Marines losing their lives in Chattanooga is the wake up call for me. I'm going next week and get it done. Who here has a permit? How much does it cost where you live?

RIP Marines

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
As a Marine (circa 1963-1967) I'm both Saddened, and infuriated by this act!!
My Deepest sympathies go to the Families!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
$105 where I live.

Crazy that these Marines are not allowed to carry sidearms while working.
Yeah, it's time to let our military carry sidearms. They are targets and shouldn't be defenseless at home.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Depends on where you live really, typically all said and done anywhere from about 100-200 bucks.

In terms of military not carrying, I'm okay with that, most don't need to carry. Senior NCO's and officers maybe, but not lower enlisted. At any rate, it wouldn't have helped them any in this case with how those attacks were carried out. What a shame though.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Tried to get one in California back in the 80's - but no way. Had a delivery job that required me to carry large amounts of cash, checks, and bank notes. I had a .38, 5-shot Taurus on me at all times and only had to pull it out once in self-defense. I sold it when I changed jobs.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I've had concealed carry since it was available. I almost never carry but I do have the option.
The training is the cost element. Such a shame about the Marines.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
@Ramhusker

My Pops lives in GA and has one. He's always packing. Not sure what he paid for it though Bo.

His man cave is like an armory. He has one of EVERYTHING and stockpiles of ammo.

He even has a drone that can carry 75 pounds.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Depends on where you live really, typically all said and done anywhere from about 100-200 bucks.

In terms of military not carrying, I'm okay with that, most don't need to carry. Senior NCO's and officers maybe, but not lower enlisted. At any rate, it wouldn't have helped them any in this case with how those attacks were carried out. What a shame though.

I couldn't disagree with that more. I think if they are on duty, in uniform, they need to be able to carry. Unfortunately they live in a nation where they are a target. Listing lower level enlisted as a no and NCOs as a yes is outrageous to me. How is it different from a police officer straight out of the academy? These folks deserve the right to protect themselves. You of all people know this. Many of us have served and I find it hard to believe many would agree with your sentiments. I do appreciate that you put it out there tho. I'm by no means trying to bash you. Just totally disagree.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I couldn't disagree with that more. I think if they are on duty, in uniform, they need to be able to carry. Unfortunately they live in a nation where they are a target. Listing lower level enlisted as a no and NCOs as a yes is outrageous to me. How is it different from a police officer straight out of the academy? These folks deserve the right to protect themselves. You of all people know this. Many of us have served and I find it hard to believe many would agree with your sentiments. I do appreciate that you put it out there tho. I'm by no means trying to bash you. Just totally disagree.

It is very different from a police officer straight out of the academy. First most departments require someone to be 21 once they graduate, while most lower enlisted are 18-21, which is below the legal age to purchase a pistol in the first place. Second a police officer goes through months of training for pistol use and the types of situations that requires their use. Military does not get this same type of training, other than Military Police (who do carry).

So that means we need to take away time in their entry training (Basic Training/Boot Camp) to give them pistol instruction for self defense, instead of combat training for war like we're supposed to, which then means they are less prepared for their intended use. We would also need to take out training when they're at their duty station in order to maintain their abilities with a pistol. Not training guys up and not having them carry can unfortunately cost us a few lives when cowards carry out attacks like this. Not having them at their peak ability during combat can lead to a lot more lives lost.

Shooting skills diminish very quickly, which is why you see Infantry and other MOS's that use their weapons more, go to the range much more frequently than a non-combat MOS. They're not expected to use their weapons as much, so while they need to qualify once a year to make sure they can still shoot, they're don't need to go to the range or practice combat skills constantly to maintain peak ability.

So we're either going to have a bunch of guys who aren't shooting very often carrying pistols, which are typically the hardest weapon platform to shoot accurately, or we're going to be spending a lot of money to keep them trained up. If we're expecting these guys to do it on their own time, then we need to take away time from their unit to go and go to those classes and ranges privately.

I didn't do a lot of pistol shooting in the Army, and I was issued a pistol. Typically tankers and MP's do the most pistol shooting because those are considered their primary weapons. We essentially did familiarization and then every so often we did pistol drills. Plus an M9 isn't a good pistol to conceal carry if we're going that route.

I can understand giving a Recruiting station Commode an M9 and a magazine or two, but it would be a lot of paperwork to do so (bending rules about taking a weapon in a private vehicle) and wouldn't be very secure if we left them in the offices, even locked up (military arms rooms are damn near impossible to get into by comparison)

Letting military in general carry would also require a lot of rewriting of the rules. Currently no weapons are allowed in the barracks (for good reason) which would need to change for these guys carrying, or we have to spend billions to get M9's for everyone in every unit.

So if some SNCO's or officers wanted to carry, it would limit it, and I could understand that, but everyone? I don't see it. I'm sure plenty of people would disagree with me, but that's not thinking logically. In pure economics, we're going to spend hundreds of billions of dollars to implement that. The military is more likely to just make everyone wear full PPE than arm everyone.

*Edit* Military units also have set budgets, so if we're spending money to get them all weapons/training/ammo and not increasing our defense budget, then units will need to eliminate various training to afford pistols/ammo.

Last edited:

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
@bluecoconuts you bring up Very good points. But they have to do something, if only a temporary action until things settle down. A uniformed soldier is an easy target. PPE is gonna be a little hard to enforce. People don't wanna wear that shit and they always think that it won't be them that gets shot at when they are within these borders. I just want these guys to be protected. And feel safe. There is no reason that a recruiter or someone in A school can't take a
Few hours a week to stay sharp.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Husker, I hold active certifications from the Florida Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission as law enforcement officer since 1980. This provides the right to carry, on or about their persons, concealed firearms as a private citizen here in Florida & other states who honor the permit.
http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html#concealed-carry-reciprocity

I have been retired now since May 2013 Husker & my active status period of time will run out in a few yrs. I will need to go & get a Florida Concealed Carry Permit in the near future through my local Sheriffs Office..I just happen to live in a very safe rural area where many homes & vehicles are found unlocked on a regular basis. However I will be close to a firearm when I travel to Tallahassee or other cities.

Husker sir you might find this site below interesting if you travel a lot .
http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Last edited:

bluecoconuts

Legend
@bluecoconuts you bring up Very good points. But they have to do something, if only a temporary action until things settle down. A uniformed soldier is an easy target. PPE is gonna be a little hard to enforce. People don't wanna wear that crap and they always think that it won't be them that gets shot at when they are within these borders. I just want these guys to be protected. And feel safe. There is no reason that a recruiter or someone in A school can't take a

Most recruiters will be a SCNO, an E6+. I have no issues with a recruiter carrying (although there might be issues with certain locations, such as high schools, but if they are offered the same sort of freedoms as a police officer then okay) they would just need to figure out how they would secure the firearm so nobody could get it.

If a platoon is out doing something, and leadership has a pistol, then there will be guys protected, typically there's always an NCO out with the lower enlisted to supervise anyway, so there would be someone there. I'm all for protecting these guys, I want them to be safe as well. I just don't think that arming everyone or giving everyone a free pass JUST because the uniform is a smart idea. It's a difficult situation, there needs to be a balance between protecting guys, not taking away from their training/mission readiness, and the economics of it all. I would agree that at a minimum recruiters should have at least some access to something, even if they don't carry it, we just have to be smart. Blanket issuing wouldn't be smart though, it's not a war zone, the rules are different and the military doesn't have that sort of training.

fearsomefour

Legend
@bluecoconuts you bring up Very good points. But they have to do something, if only a temporary action until things settle down. A uniformed soldier is an easy target. PPE is gonna be a little hard to enforce. People don't wanna wear that crap and they always think that it won't be them that gets shot at when they are within these borders. I just want these guys to be protected. And feel safe. There is no reason that a recruiter or someone in A school can't take a
Things are not going to settle down anytime soon. I would expect an uptick in this kind of activity unfortunately.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'm not gonna sit here and say here's why you shouldn't get a concealed carry. It's perfectly alright for you to do that.

What bothers me is this will somehow help in these situations.

You mean to tell me that in any chaotic situation you will have the wherewithal to pull out a weapon and fire accurately at the criminal? I can't imagine anyone doing that, except military and police who go through intense training.

So many times, I hear "this will protect ourselves!" or "self defense FTW!!!" Yet the U.S. still has one of the highest gun related deaths in the country. I don't think gun control or any other political BS will solve anything now, b/c there are already too many guns circulating right now. What happens if you add more?

That's just all MO tho. I don't buy into the "self defense" logic in purchasing a weapon. Again, you are perfectly in your right to get a permit if you want.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm not gonna sit here and say here's why you shouldn't get a concealed carry. It's perfectly alright for you to do that.

What bothers me is this will somehow help in these situations.

You mean to tell me that in any chaotic situation you will have the wherewithal to pull out a weapon and fire accurately at the criminal? I can't imagine anyone doing that, except military and police who go through intense training.

So many times, I hear "this will protect ourselves!" or "self defense FTW!!!" Yet the U.S. still has one of the highest gun related deaths in the country. I don't think gun control or any other political BS will solve anything now, b/c there are already too many guns circulating right now. What happens if you add more?

That's just all MO tho. I don't buy into the "self defense" logic in purchasing a weapon. Again, you are perfectly in your right to get a permit if you want.
Oh, you don't have to hit anything. The muzzle flash and shock and awe of the blast will send most punk ass thugs shaggin ass for cover. That's the real self defense of a handgun in most situations. Kinda like a pump shot gun in your home, the sound of the rack is usually enough. Of course, with my Keltec PMR 30, I can polka dot a punk in less than a minute. I wouldn't but I could. Most people that are going to take the time to get a concealed carry permit usually take the time to go to a firing range and get pretty comfortable with their weapon of choice. There's no simulation for getting fired at but your odds are a hell of lot better with a gun in your corner versus the fetal position. If you add more guns in the "good guys" hands, more good things happen to good people and more bad things happen to bad people. That's a good thing for the good guys of course.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It costs 35$ in PA. It is easy to get and PA is an open carry state so technically you don't need the permit. I live in a small town so I don't carry often but I find myself doing it a bit more lately, especially when travelling. We like to hike and I got a front fannypack made by Glaco. Things are great. The only people that would know that it has a pistol in it would be people familiar with it. It is nicer than stuffing my .40 glock in my pants. I have an inside belt holster but man I don't like that thing. It is very uncomfortable. The Front pack has a two zipper system. One on top and one on side with a tab right on the corner. If you pull the tab it unzips both sides and the gun is easily accessed.

I have the .40 caliber Glock and a .380 Bersa Thunder. I have read mixed reviews about the Bursa but that is a great gun. I have never had a jam. It is similar to the Walther PPK but it doesn't have the blowback problem that PPKs are known for. .380 is thinner and easier for carry too but for knock down power the .40 is really nice.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Oh, you don't have to hit anything. The muzzle flash and shock and awe of the blast will send most punk ass thugs shaggin ass for cover. That's the real self defense of a handgun in most situations. Kinda like a pump shot gun in your home, the sound of the rack is usually enough. Of course, with my Keltec PMR 30, I can polka dot a punk in less than a minute. I wouldn't but I could. Most people that are going to take the time to get a concealed carry permit usually take the time to go to a firing range and get pretty comfortable with their weapon of choice. There's no simulation for getting fired at but your odds are a hell of lot better with a gun in your corner versus the fetal position. If you add more guns in the "good guys" hands, more good things happen to good people and more bad things happen to bad people. That's a good thing for the good guys of course.

The worry is usually that more guns means more confusion. So someone who has a firearm but inadequate training (because getting a permit really isn't that hard) to handle an active shooter, they could miss and hit an innocent person instead. Or if there is multiple people with firearms, people are likely to get confused in the chaos and start engaging each other not knowing who the shooter is. They are legitimate concerns to these types of situations, which is why I always implore those who are sincere about getting their permit to take the training seriously, continue with it afterwards, and be really thoughtful about when they pull that weapon. People who have the idea to defend themselves or their family and only use it as a last resort are smart and ready to carry. People who think they're going to be a hero and save the day in some worst case scenario aren't in the right frame of mind and probably shouldn't get a permit.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
The worry is usually that more guns means more confusion. So someone who has a firearm but inadequate training (because getting a permit really isn't that hard) to handle an active shooter, they could miss and hit an innocent person instead. Or if there is multiple people with firearms, people are likely to get confused in the chaos and start engaging each other not knowing who the shooter is. They are legitimate concerns to these types of situations, which is why I always implore those who are sincere about getting their permit to take the training seriously, continue with it afterwards, and be really thoughtful about when they pull that weapon. People who have the idea to defend themselves or their family and only use it as a last resort are smart and ready to carry. People who think they're going to be a hero and save the day in some worst case scenario aren't in the right frame of mind and probably shouldn't get a permit.
I agree. Everybody should be able to get the gun of their choice but that doesn't mean everybody should. I see people every day that shouldn't own a gun and you read about them all the time. Heck, we have all seen some cops that shouldn't have them.