Comparing Goff and Lynch week 2 of PS

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I posted every Goff throw here:

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/every-jared-goff-throw-week-2.45837/

Below is every throw by Paxton Lynch. He did "okay", some good... some not so good... But the general vibe is Lynch played well, and Goff is a work in progress?

Outside of the fumble and fumbled snap (by Goff) I'm seeing 2 rookies. Both having their moments. But... I can't say Lynch looks further ahead of Goff. I don't see it, anyway.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
He looked like a young QB to me. A few more passes could have been picks. All in all, not bad though. Lynch should become a good qb.
I like how Denver is letting him throw. I didn't count, but it appears that Lynch has thrown at least twice as much as Goff.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Goff is in a safe zone--safe throws and the like. Lynch is running around and gunning it...and he looks great. But, he couldn't do that against a #1 defense....it is not an apples to apples comparison right now. Over time, maybe even next year, we will know we got the right guy.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Goff is in a safe zone--safe throws and the like. Lynch is running around and gunning it...and he looks great. But, he couldn't do that against a #1 defense....it is not an apples to apples comparison right now. Over time, maybe even next year, we will know we got the right guy.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I hoped Goff would ne ready to start game one...I don't see any chance of that right now...The game seems too fast for him at this point...Once it starts to slow down, then he'll be the guy, IMHO..

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
I wouldn't say one is better than the other at this point, I could see how someone might think that though because of all the film for Paxton compared to Jared.

One thing is for sure right now, Goff's footwork and release are wayyyy faster than than Paxton's. It seriously looks like Paxton is in slow motion when he releases it.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I haven't looked at your clips posted above...Haven't seen Lynch's game from last night...But the throws I saw of Lynch last week, compared to Goff's 2 games, Lynch is ripping a lot of throws downfield...His rollout throws are on a rope, and you can see the physical arm talent. Pretty sure his ypa is much greater...The object of the game is to move the ball downfield. Goff actually looked much better last night, but still seems hurried...under duress...and uncomfortable. JMO

jjab360

Legend
There is no doubt in my mind that Goff was the better QB prospect and will be the better QB. The disparity in accuracy between the two isn't really that close and everything Goff does from his footwork to his release is just so much more quicker, smoother, and more compact.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I like Prescott, Lynch & Wentz...... I would still take Goff over all 3 of them because I think his CEILING is higher than all of those QB's. Goff didn't get any roll outs or boot legs to extent I had hoped. The damn defense gave up so many long drives he could never get a rhythm last night which is obviously why Fisher let him finish the game.

Ball control by the opposing teams Offense can have a big impact on rookie QB's in preseason games. I was getting frustrated because it seemed like forever in between series for Goff........Like fckning watching Paint Dry..... :banghead:

watching-paint-dry.jpg
jfPxJj.gif

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
He looked like a young QB to me. A few more passes could have been picks. All in all, not bad though. Lynch should become a good qb.
I like how Denver is letting him throw. I didn't count, but it appears that Lynch has thrown at least twice as much as Goff.
Denver did get stepped-on, by the 49ers of all people, yesterday. So there is that!:rolllaugh: I wonder how the Rams will do next week!?!;):mrburnsevil:

Bruce2980

Starter
Denver did get stepped-on, by the 49ers of all people, yesterday. So there is that!:rolllaugh: I wonder how the Rams will do next week!?!;):mrburnsevil:

That is going to be a huge test for the Rams O with most of the starters playing for the first half. I really hope the running game looks as good as it has in the first two games. If they can take the energy and confidence with them from LA to Denver, look out NFL, it's on!!!!

WestCoastRam

Legend
Tangential I know, but I always felt that Shannahan/Kubiak's offense was a very QB friendly WC offense as long as the QB could execute a roll-out. It would be one of the first offenses I'd want if I had a slightly athletic rookie QB. It's does a lot with play-action and the run game that protects it's QBs.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't wait for the day when we don't post threads about other teams QB's because we're all so damned happy we drafted Jared Goff in 2016 :D

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I would just like to see the Rams let the kid throw a little more. Game 2 was very vanilla. Got to let the kid push the ball downfield. You drafted him #1 for a reason.....right?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Tbh after re-watching the game Goff was actually solid vs KC. He had a couple protections break down that screwed things up, one with the trip/fumble and the other with the sack along the sideline where he tried to do too much vice throwing it away. Other than that and the snap prob the kid made some nice throws.

Not sure wtf happend with the TD throw, think he was being careful or it was supposed to be back shoulder. But either way the catch was made.

Does look like Case has it sewn up, and I'm real happy with how good he looked. Only thing I didn't like was the underthrown deep ball, but he does look ready for the season and I'm fine with him leading us into SF.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't wait for the day when we don't post threads about other teams QB's because we're all so damned happy we drafted Jared Goff in 2016 :D
in this context, its much more helpful and easier to learn when you are playing with the defending super bowl champs vs a team that still cant make the playoffs. they have a winning attitude as well, whereas the Rams want to have a winning attitude. the last part is why i believe when coaches and players say its important to win any game as it will improve the locker room atmosphere. if Goff continues to play and doesnt make the same mistakes over and over then he should be fine. a solid offensive line and a good rb corps will also help.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I thought several of Lynch's throws were way off the mark, although he made some good ones too. Generally, I though Goff was more accurate and has been through 2 games.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I wonder how the Rams will do next week!?!;):mrburnsevil:
Should be a good test for the defense...Their offense has looked up and down...Defense hasn't played some starters....I'd like to see as much Goff as possible...Only way to get ready....

I thought several of Lynch's throws were way off the mark, although he made some good ones too. Generally, I though Goff was more accurate and has been through 2 games.
To be fair, he's throwing much deeper passes....less accuracy is to be expected. Which is why you need to work on them, the timing, more often.....

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Tbh after re-watching the game Goff was actually solid vs KC. He had a couple protections break down that screwed things up, one with the trip/fumble and the other with the sack along the sideline where he tried to do too much vice throwing it away. Other than that and the snap prob the kid made some nice throws.

Not sure wtf happend with the TD throw, think he was being careful or it was supposed to be back shoulder. But either way the catch was made.

Does look like Case has it sewn up, and I'm real happy with how good he looked. Only thing I didn't like was the underthrown deep ball, but he does look ready for the season and I'm fine with him leading us into SF.

It was 3rd down . What good is it just to throw it away. Why not try to make a play ??